Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
cameronh
My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: Bell

Most Recent SMS Messages Hidden After Restore

So, I was having trouble with by browser and decided to do a wipe and restore. Turns out the problem was with the google page that i was trying to load, which the browser didnt like very much. 

Anyway, I backed up my data right before using the security wipe, then I restored the data from the same backup file and everything seemed to work fine. However, when i go into the hub, i see the previews of SMS's that have been sent to me in the few hours since i resored the phone, but when i select the text, it opens, jitters around a bit, and then only displays texts that i recieved yesterday. Nothing from today. 

So since i can see the most recent texts in the hub previews, i know they are on the phone. but when i open the conversation they dissapear...

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know a fix?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Most Recent SMS Messages Hidden After Restore

Hi cameronh,

When these SMS messages first arrived, did you open and read them without any issue, or did they appear with the same behavior that they do now?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cameronh

Hi Cpt S

The sms messages I received before doing the backup and restore were always placed in the in the conversation thread without issue. Once the backup and restore was finnished, conversations were (and still are) missing the latest messages. I've noticed that some of the conversations are missing weeks and months worth of messages, and some just a day or two. 

Eventhough I'm a hard core data hoarder who doesn't delete anything (I have three years worth of messages on my phone) I thought I would delete a conversation hoping that the next text received from that sender would work. But it won't let me delete. 

So now im unable to read any new text messages, except for the hub preview. 

Also, I tried doing another backup, wipe and restore this morning, but the issue persists.  

Am  I the only one who has had this problem? 

Thanks for your reply! 

Please use plain text.
reynierotero
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I am having this same exact issue.

Usually what happens to me is that I'll open the message and it'll jittle and clear the entire history.

For some contacts it'll only clear random messages.

At the moment it is only happening with 4 contacts but that's only the ones I have checked.  I am unable to delete these messages as choosing "End Chat" or the trash icon does not remove them.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cameronh

Hi Reynierotero,

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this.

Did your troubles also start after a backup and restore? 

Please use plain text.
reynierotero

Yes they did
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cameronh

Just to help tech support and the developers, Blackberry Link software version i used is 1.0.1.12, device software version is 10.1.0.1720, and the carrier is Bell.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cameronh

reynierotero, can you confirm the software version of your link software and your blackberry OS please?
Please use plain text.
reynierotero

My Link software 1.1.0.37 and the OS version is 10.1.0.2342 but it has been happening since 1720 as well.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cameronh

So I managed to get a hold of Blackberry technical support, and after trying everything they could think of, the problem was not fixed.

BUT!

On the fifteenth of this month, before i installed 10.1, I backed up my phone to the desktop in case anything went wrong with the update. Last night I restored my phone using the backup file I created before updating, and my text messaging works just fine now. I've lost a few weeks of messages and contacts and what not, but at least i managed to get my phone in working order.

It seems that there is an issue with the way 10.1 generates backup files, and hopefully it gets resolved in an upcoming patch.

So if you have a backup file that you created before updating to 10.1, try wiping your phone (this is important) first, then restore from the pre 10.1 backup file.

Please use plain text.