Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
matt_p
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Multiple Contacts With The Same Number

I have Googled this to the ends of the Earth but can't seem to find a solution. I have many contacts with the same telephone numbers (eg each contact in a small company may have an office number, a home number and a mobile number, where the office numbers are the same) - is it possible to set defaults?

For example, when an office number calls I would like the contact for the company to show on the screen and in the logs, rather than a random employee that the phone brings up.

Thanks for any help

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Arsen
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Multiple Contacts With The Same Number

If I am not mistaken, when someone calls, it pulls the first name on your contact list that has that office number on it which is filled by first name, last name. I also have several contacts on my list that work in the same office, the only way around is to create a Company Contact, but add numeric value of 1 in front of the name, then when someone from that office calls, it will show you the company name and their photo from your contact list and in this case you can add the company logo. I don’t see an option in the contacts to put a company as the priority when receiving calls.

Example:  1 abc company

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
matt_p

Thanks for the input - it is a shame that is the case. The other option I have used previously was to remove the office number from all employee contacts, but when synchronizing with LinkedIn etc that isn't really feasible.

I will have a look into your suggestion, thanks.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Arsen
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

I have actually turned off all my facebook, linkin, twitter in my contact list settings. I hated Facebook replacing the profile picture.. If I need to communicate to that person, either I add it to my contacts or use the app to communicate to them. 

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I'm not sure how even the best of 'smarthphones' would know, when ten different contacts all have the same office number, and when person "D" calls, that your phone would know specifically that it is not person A, C or G calling.

These devices are smart, but not "sentient" beings.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
matt_p

Quite, JSanders - I think a useful future feature would be the ability to set a default contact for a number, though.

For example, if I have contacts for Company, Employee 1, Employee 2...3...4...5 etc, all with the same office number, it would be nice to be able to select 'Company' as the default contact for that office number, so that contact appears when the number rings.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

OK, understood.

So if you set persona A as the default, and then if person D with the same number calls, and person A shows on the screen... you'd still be in the same boat, wouldn't you?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
matt_p

Yes you would - however I tend to also have a generic 'Company' contact that will have the various company landlines etc plus other generic contact details on.

In this situation, it would show somebody from said company was calling, rather than a specific employee.

(as a note, the reason I have looked into this more recently was after an employee from a company called me this morning and instead of the company contact showing up, the Managing Director's face was on the screen - enough to motivate me to look into alternatives!)
Please use plain text.
JSanders

[ Edited ]

OK, perahaps a workaround might be using Arsen's assumption that the 'first' name in your Contacts list shows as the one who calls, the workaround might be...

Set that contact which you wish to be the DEFAULT higher in the alphabetical listing in your Address Book.

So, if you want "Bob Smith" to be higher in the hierarchal alpha listed, add a character to his last name so that it appears as "Bob *Smith". Experiment to see what works. It might be a number like "Bob 1Smith".

Or if you just want the company to show, create a generic company contact with the company name in he correct field and then a last name of "1" or some special character.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
matt_p

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work - I have read elsewhere that the device does it based on the age of the contact (i.e. when it was first entered into contacts) but either way the same behaviour is occuring. 

Looks like it is down to only having the number listed once, and possibly unsyncing LinkedIn etc.

Please use plain text.