Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Multiple Text Number fields in contacts app

When entering multiple phone numbers for a contact (Work, Mobile, Home), the system automaticall generates 3 additional Text enteries for each phone number entered .... if work and home are land line .. might not be able to send txt messages to these ... gives us option to delete or only generate if its a mobile number .... no need to have extra entries of no use for them...

Anybody have a solution????

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 (STL 100-2) -10.1.0.4181
My Carrier: Optus

Re: Multiple Text Number fields in contacts app

When you proceed to text, email or dial somebody you will be presented with multiple numbers to chose from. So far as I can ascertain, it's up to the user to choose the correct number. Possibly you could try differentiating varying numbers for the same contact by entering the same recognisable Contact Name into your Contacts List with, say an asterisk or something. I hope this addresses your problem and that I've understood your question correctly. My regards to you!
Disclaimer:
I know a little about lots of things,
yet not a great lot about those little-things.
Ultimately, I'm here to learn.
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Hi Simmo
Thank you for the reply however I may have not explained my problem maybe if you try this
Add a new contact, enter 2 phone numbers for that contact and save
You will see 4 entries in your contact the. 2 phone numbers and 2 additional fields which will have text. Mobile or text home depending on the type of phone number you selected

Question is why are they both there? No ally we can send texts to mobile phone not a home phone or land line. I would like to remove the entries that are capable of receiving text it will cause less confusion
Thanks
Toby
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 (STL 100-2) -10.1.0.4181
My Carrier: Optus

Hi Toby

I think the layout of the contacts list is allowing for a home and/or work number to be either a mobile or a land line (which is sometimes the case these days). I believe you're presented with this choice when texting in order to allow you to differentiate between the number you want to either text or dial.

Myself, if I can't tell the difference between the three numbers of a little used Contact I will ascribe a new (slightly varied) Contact entry for them which denotes the difference (for instance:  TonyOffice, TonyTruck, Tony-America etc..)

Searching for Tony wil bring all of these up

As for the fields themselves, I see no way to change how they are presented.

Regards, Simmo!

Disclaimer:
I know a little about lots of things,
yet not a great lot about those little-things.
Ultimately, I'm here to learn.
Contributor
My Device: Q10 and 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

Toby, the explanation is very simple: There is only one 'field' for each phone number. But when you are in display mode (as opposed to edit mode), it gives you a button (within the contact) for 'instant phone call to number X' and a button for 'instantly send a text message to number X'. This saves you having to choose a number and then specify whether your intention was to call or text that number... tho indeed unfortunately uses up more screen space. Dont think there is anything to 'fix' here.

Cheers
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Sasktel

I disaree with the above.  The simplist example of where this is an issue is if one wishes to voice command a text message.  He has to choose between a home number, usually a land line or a mobile number.  It would make more sense to be able to store contacts such that home numbers were not displayed as both a number to phone or a number to phone or text.

c