Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
Simmo-
My Device: Z10 (STL 100-2) -10.1.0.4181
My Carrier: Optus
Accepted Solution

My Z10 went swimming and still works! - (sort of)

I'm totally disappointed, but it was sheer thoughtlessness that allowed my trouble free Z10 to fly out of my top pocket into the water and become completely submerged for a couple of seconds!

I immediately dismantled it and placed the pieces in my pocket and raced home to do what I could.  When I did check it out I could see water had entered the sim slot (I assume via the USB and HDMI ports) and /or the headphone port.

I touch dried it as best I could and packed it in a moisture absorbent powder (wrapped in a tissue) overnight.

It emerged bone-dry looking, so I gently blow-dried it until warm and placed it back into the compound, (several times). I know I should've left it a week, but..

Anyway, it booted up and appeared to run fine without the sim or SD card, so I powered it off and tried it just with the sim.

It had reception for about five seconds and the gave a blue screen so I ripped the battery out.

I think I've done an aerial as it runs OK but with no network at all now.

It's been buried in moisture absorbent for what I foresee to be a somewhat longer period this time.

I needn't say that I'm more than a bit peeved, as it was the my best phone to date!

If it doesn't 'heal' I'll begin the long march towards replacing it, I haven't used this computer since I'd got it and I've enjoyed my short time on these forums :smileyhappy:

I'm downloading Link (for the first time and I'll let you know what happens.

Advice, chastisements and commiserations are very welcome, but please understand that I only have a computer now so it's not so easy to get onto the internet for me now.

My first BlackBerry, fast, clean & I'm just not going to go backwards. :Detective:

So goodnight all! (from Down-Under)

Disclaimer:
I know a little about lots of things,
yet not a great lot about those little-things.
Ultimately, I'm here to learn.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Re: My Z10 went swimming and still works! - (sort of)

Good day

You're lucky it still works!! LMAO

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
ratcat
My Device: Torch 9810, Z10
My Carrier: ATT

It amazes me that phones are not made water resistant.  It is relativly simple to do so.  Samsung has released a water proof/dust proof phone and hopefully other venders will follow suit.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Carrier: Rogers

Had you dropped an Android and an iPhone in as well, your BlackBerry would have smoked 'em both in the 100m backstroke.

It's true. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

The best advice is to put your phone with battery removed in a bag of rice for 4-5 days and don't touch it until AT LEAST 4 days have passed. One of the worst things you can do, and unfortunately you did it, is to use a hair dryer. This can blow moisture back in to your phone.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Simmo-

(I can't find the "reply with quote" button on the computer either)

But Bill, I agree wholeheartedly with your advice. The device is buried and drying even more at this moment.

I should say that I didn't blast it with the hairdryer directly. I placed it in the sink and pumped the sink full of hot dry air.

(Mind you I did considered using the vacuum cleaner :smileyvery-happy: ).

Hey! I have a question someone might be able to answer. :Shifty:

I had to ring the service provider in order to have the Simi switched from BlackBerry Data to 'ordinary' data so I could use it in a handset which I use as a tethered modem.

Question is:

If I put the SIM in the Z10 and it still doesn't make a network connection, how will I know whether or not it's because it's off it's regular diet of BlackBerry Data?

What's the difference? :Sweatdrop:

Disclaimer:
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

I'm not sure I fully understand the question but I'll try to answer anyway.
BlackBerry Internet Service (or BIS) is what BlackBerry legacy devices (pre-BB10) use. Data travels through BlackBerry's servers and is compressed before being sent to your phone. BB10 devices don't use BIS so data consumption is much higher. You can use a SIM that is associated with a legacy device in your BB10 device but the phone won't use compressed BIS data.

I hope that's what you're looking for. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Simmo-

Thanks Bill, you'd interpreted it correctly.

According to my Service Provider, I had been on "BlackBerry Data".

This may be what they interpret as either the Plan name or how they actually allocate data to (10) BB devices.

Prior to turning my phone into a zPod :Yes: (ie: every aerial works but the 2G 3G 4G) I'd noticed no signs of the device using any less data than other phones.

However, what I did notice was that was consistently fast (downloading) and that it provided me with very good call and data reception in areas where other people had little or no reception at all.

So I did wonder what was going on there.

It was the best phone for reception I've ever experienced on a provider whose not known for their out of town coverage.

Disclaimer:
Please use plain text.