Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
jsbatlanta
My Device: Z10

My opinion of the Z10

[ Edited ]
It's just another Blackberry as far as I'm concerned. Nothing much has changed since 1999 when BB first came onto the market. Here's why I feel that way. I would have thought that throughout the development of the 10 platform BB would have gone out of its way to get companies on board BEFORE it hit the streets. Instead we're missing the simple things iPhone and android had years ago. The first is Skype. It should have been part of the package right out of the box. iPhone has Facetime, BB has nothing. Skype would have been the next best thing. Battery life is horrible for a 2013 device. I get roughly 5 hours out of my Z10 and that's just talking and emails. I really don't use apps much. But speaking of apps. As a real estate professional there are industry apps which are readily available on older BBs and of course every iPhone and android device. Not on the 10 platform. We'll probably never see the Ekey on the 10 because, as the Ekey people said, there's not enough demand. Real estate agents have abandoned BB in favor of iPhones and android devices. The zoom function SUCKS. Regardless of how I try it does nothing. If I pinch the screen the entire screen pulls in and then pops back doing nothing. I get email like from Banana Republic, that has pictures etc but they show up as ? Marks. I have to wait until I'm back on my notebook or iPad to see what the email contains. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. I don't care if they're there or not but to have them on my home screen AND the HUB is just stupid. Are these considered that important to have them twice? I can see the message on the app then go to the HUB to mark the message as read. Email. On my old Torch I would read an email on my device and the email would be marked read everywhere else. And visa versa. Not on the Z10. I can read a gmail or yahoo email in the actual email on my notebook and on my Z10 they're still unread. And why not have an email icon next to the text or BBM icons? Seriously, why go back and forth to the HUB? No select, cut and paste of email addresses. I mean, go into an existing email and try copying the senders email address. You can't. You can only save into your contacts. Then open a new email and select the contact. You can copy and paste text but not email address within an email header. Someone said it might get corrected with an update but so far, nothing. Forwarding an email does not include the email header either. I forwarded an email to a coworker and asked him to please write back to the lady. He called to tell me the email forwarded but the header with the senders email was not included. It only showed the senders name. Maps suck. I can't get the BB maps to work. I downloaded Google maps and though they look fine I can't zoom or drag my finger across the map to move it. Same problem with the BB maps. No QR reader. No password keeper. I had to download both and figure out how to get my passwords to move o the new "safe". Amazing how Facebook and Twitter were there but password keeper was left out. All in all the best part of this device is the keyboard. That's one thing that BB hit out of the park. But the glass surface is not the same quality as the iPhone surface. You have to be extra careful with it. Alarm. Why doesn't it work when the device is off? Seriously!! I have to reset the sounds to silent then put it in bedside if I need the alarm the next morning. Otherwise, the alarm goes off only when you turn the phone on in the morning. Otherwise, I go back to my original comment. Same ole, same ole. Nothing super exciting or innovating IMHO. I'm seriously thinking of going back and trading it for a Bold. I could care less about Facebook and Twitter. I need a solid phone with good email functions and maps and the Ekey for my work. I forgot to mention that the Z10 doesn't connect to my cars audio system. My Torch did perfectly so I could play my music through the auxiliary input while traveling. My old iPod does it too. But not the Z10.
Forums Advisor I
Arsen
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb

Re: My opinion of the Z10

John,

I am going to try to address some of your comments and observations. We have quite a few things in common, I am also a real estate broker and I came from Using the Torch 9810 and a phone is essential in our business.  The first day I picked up my z10 on February 5th launch, I was lost and confused and I also have 20 years IT background wtih IBM and I found it frustrating because everything was new and nothing was like what I was use to.  But the only thing I can tell you is that once you get use to doing things on the z10, you realize what an amazing device and OS. I find that I am 3 times more productive with the new z10 than I have ever been with any smart phone, including Iphone 5 and Galaxy sII. 

As a realtor, I can finally use a web browser that works, I mean works on all sites, including cpanel for my custom web site, supports Flash, works amazing in Desktop mode when I don't want to use the mobile mode.  The Hub is the best feature of this phone, at first its a little confusing and somehow doesn't make sense, but after using it for a long time, I can't imagine using any phone without it.   Also other major features that makes this phone stand out is the multi tasking of up to 8 apps at a given time.  I can now have a mortgage calculator running, a web site, Papilion app for converting metres to feet, Land Transfer tax calculator, have my contacts app up and switching back and forth without exiting an app is a blessing. No more shutting down an app to go to another.  The universal search is also an amazing feature that searches everything on your device (email, text, bbm, facebook, twitter, contacts, bookmarks, maps, web sites, documents, music videos, pictures and if it can't find it, gives you apps to search in. The last bonus is the remember app,, wow I can file everything based on my clients or specific tasks.

Not sure if you every used or owned an Iphone or Android phone, but when they launced their phone, it had nothing but major issues and to this day there is a lot of issues.. In fairness to BB, they have the largest launch of any new OS and device in history (70,000) on launch day. The last count is over 100,000 apps. I know that BB worked very hard to get developers of apps to build for the OS10, yes some should have been there at the launch, but they are also at the mercy of the developers and their schedule.  The nice thing is that you can sideload any Android app on the z10.  Skype is the only major app that has not arrived and skype should be releasing it soon.  

Facetime is a copy from BBM. With BBM on z10, it works amazing with video chat, screen sharing and can even do a video chat with my kids on their Playbooks.  

I bought my wife an IPhone 5 same day I picked up my z10. She doesn't last 5 hours of use without plugging in her device to a charger, and she is a very light user compared to me.  The nice thing is that I have an option to carry a second battery when I need it after heavy usage.  This is same for all high end smartphones, the battery doesn't last long. But for me I can last about 10 hours before I have to plug it in to charge or swap batteries. The battery life gets much better after 2weeks of use.   I also have my screen brightness to max and volume on high. Also on a personal note, the IPhone 5 and z10 are not in the same class. The iPhone is so slow as a phone and the email, contacts, web browser are the worst I have ever used. Its good for my wife to do basic things , but as a business man, this phone is very weak. The android phones are much better that the IPhone 5. And if Apple continues this path, they will fall behind like Blackberry Did several years ago.  My wife now admits that she wish she got the z10 instead of the IPhone, she sees what I can do with it and how fast and smooth everything is. She hates the fact that she cant pop in 64gb SD card or carry an extra battery when she needs it. She misses BBM.

Not familiar with your Ekey app, but if you contact the developer for Ekey and ask them when they are going to release it, then they will tell you. In the short time, you can side load it on your z10.

Not sure why you are having problems with zoom feature, works like any other phone out on the market. 

With emails you can copy any email address by selecting the blue heading and slider appears on the right. There are several tips and tricks  in the forum and also several videos on BB site. Also you keep talking about the IPhone email, have you ever used it , hands down its the worst of them all.  Androids email is good.  The forward email removes the senders email, but it is being addressed.

Tons of QR readers and password apps in BB world. 

Bedside mode works great, just plug in the charger and slide down the little bed window.

Have no issues with BB maps, works great , as a test I compared it to my Garmin, very accurate and fast. Also not sure why you cant zoom or scroll on the maps..

But at the end as consumers, it’s nice to have a choice and more companies create new things, it is better for all of us.  Sometimes things don’t fit our needs..

Contributor
jsbatlanta

Thanks for your follow up but I don't think you really followed what I was saying about this device.  I haven't found it any better than an older Blackberry.  My old Torch did all the same things really but with a physical keyboard.  I might be able to open more than one app at a time but that's not something I'm WANTING or NEEDING at any given time and if I was using all of that the battery would be dead in a few hours.  

I don't give a rats rear about Facebook or Twitter on my phone.  I need maps that work and so far I don't see it.  Maybe I'm still on the learning curve - I won't say I fully understand the Z10 - but from what I'm experiencing so far, I'm disappointed.  

The Ekey is the electronic key from GE's Supra group.  Maybe in Canada you're using something else to open lock boxes but here this is what we need.  I called Supra and spoke to a developer and was told that until they see enough demand for it.  If someone explains how to download the Android version, I'll give it a try.

And what's your answer for the lack of Skype?  That should have been there since day one.  Same for Password Keeper.  That was something almost exclusive to Blackberry but missing on its newest device.  

I still think there should be an email icon on the home screen.  I really don't like swiping back and forth.  Even when you hit the text icon it goes to the HUB instead of to the text messages themselves.  What's the point of having the text icon on the home screen?  You touch the icon and it goes to the HUB then you have to touch TEXT MESSAGES.  Why?  

Regarding copying email addresses for an email header it copies The blue bubble which shows John Doe but its copied as 'John Doe' <john.doe@gmail.com>   I paste that into a new email and it does NOTHING.  It DOES NOT RECOGNIZE the email address.   IT DOES NOT WORK, PERIOD!  I've tried it several times, to different people and nothing.  

All in all, I don't find it to be a true "smart" phone.  

Forums Advisor I
Arsen
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb

I understand your frustration, but for me , it is truly a great phone. So much better than what I have ever used.  Yes there are some features that they can improve and will in time. But for a new OS and new device it works great for my needs. But we all have diffrent needs and I respect that. For password keeper it is on BB world. Skype has been anounced and hopefully they come with native OS app instead of an android app. You can't blame BB for that, its skypes fault for not getting their S??T together. 

The hub, I guess you either like it or hate it.  At first I also wanted an email icon on my home screen, but now I don't , because I see the benefit of the hub. 

At the end, you have to be happy, there is no point in trying to make you happy.

IMG_00000200.png

Contributor
jsbatlanta

[ Edited ]

It's not about TRYING to make me happy.   It's about admitting that a device that's been bragged about since they first thought about it is not worth it.  Simple things like copying an email address??   I mean, come on.  It doesn't get any simpler than that.   If you can copy an email address and paste into a new email that you're composing and successfully send it, your device is different from mine.  

As far as the HUB is concerned I don't see the point.  It's absolutely reduncant.  Text Message icon AND text message in the HUB.  When I tap the icon I should go straight to the text messages, period.  NOT THE HUB.  Facebook on the main screen; Facebook on the HUB.  Twitter on the main screen; Twitter on the HUB.  If you tap on the FB icon and read a notification you still have to go to the HUB to mark it read.   That's not redundant to you?   The only thing that's not redundant are the email accounts you set up but when you go to the HUB where ever you left off, that's where you have to start from.  If you were in the FB messages, you have to swipe out of the main screen then out of FB messages to get to the emails.  That's swiping twice.  Once too many times, in my book.

It's not about making me happy.  It's about a building a device that is 100% better than the competition not partially better.  Although the keyboard is extraordinary the rest of the device is disappointing.  

Oh, here's another issue.  Today I connected my Z10 to my car's audio system.  That took a while to figure out (much simpler on the Torch, btw) but I got it working.  A call came in but I couldn't answer it over my car's handsfree system.  I usually tap the phone button on my steering wheel but apparently when playing music the phone won't answer.  I had to pull over, stop the music and return the call.  My Torch stopped in the middle of the song and picked up right there when I ended the call.  Never a problem. 

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I can't help you with your car Bluetooth issue but for many of the other issues you mentioned, I think it's just a matter of getting accustomed to the phone. I haven't seen another OS that's as smooth and as powerful as the Z10's. Once you know what you're doing, you'll never look back.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
jsbatlanta

So please explain the redundancy issues. Why have FB on the main screen AND in the HUB? Why doesn't the text message icon go straight to text messages? Why can't I copy an email address and paste it into a new email I'm composing? The comment about once you know what you're doing has nothing to do with these issues.

Why was Facebook and Twitter more important than say having a Bank of America or Chase or Wells Fargo banking app to scan checks etc? Why leave off the QR reader and password keeper? My first Blackberry Bold, which I had five years ago had the password keeper and when I got my Torch two years ago it all just passed through without a hitch. But not with the Z10. I had to download the app then figure out how to transfer my passwords. Come on! How hard could it have been to have those old standbys preloaded?

The keyboard is outstanding. Absolutely the best out there but otherwise it's like owning a first generation iPhone, albeit with 4g.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello,

It seems that many of your questions are "why" questions. Please do understand that this is a user-to-user community. Unless the answer comes from a clearly identified BB employee (who sometimes comment here), any answers you receive here will be non-authoritative, theoretical and supposition only (though they will normally be an honest attempt to help you out as best they can).

To truly answer such a "why" question requires access to insider information, which is specifically prohibited (in the Ts and Cs) from revelation on this site, and consequently answers about that are limited to the formal and official answers that BlackBerry provides publicly.

This site is best suited to factual discussions about "what is" and "how to" regarding "what is"..."why", what "should be", and other such discussions venture out of scope of the primary intended use of this site, and discussions about such would be theoretical and supposition based, not authoritative.

Both Arsen and BillJ have kindly tried to help you with your questions, and I hope you appreciate their volunteer spirit in doing so...for, like you, they are just other users, who kindly tried to provide you with some insight. But they cannot provide you with anything that violates the Ts and Cs of this site.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
C_McD
My Device: Z30 10.2.1.2141; PlayBook 64 GB OS 2.1.0.1753

Sadly here we are months into the BB10 and Supra still is "waiting to see whether BB10 is adopted." I've been campaigning for four months with them.

Unfoprtunatelt the whole real estate industry, starting top down from NAR, has taken this same posture for the last couple Years.

It really frustrates me at an ethical level as just is wrong. Next will NAR tell us what kind of car to drive....

Personally I'd rather have a better phone and drop back and use Supra's Active Key.

SIGH

We're all out here together...