Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Need to define multiple smtp servers for all accounts (1 for WIFI and MOBILE network)

slimmer1972 wrote:

Actually, the role of my ISP is to provide the Internet. The role of the BlackBerry is to provide many, many things including incoming & outgoing email, wifi, etc. 

The fact that BlackBerry did provide multiple smtp previous to BB10, just proves my point more. 

Yes, your ISP provides you access to the internet, however, they also provide you with your email servers (not Blackberry.) The fact that your ISP has provided you with half baked servers that are only accessible from their own network is the issue.

You could always sign up for an email server on any number of other providers that will give you access that will work from anywhere. Many free ones exist. :smileyhappy: hotmail/outlook.com, gmail, yahoo, etc.

If your provider offers the service (and they probably don't but should be) you could simply forward your email address to your new one until everyone knows you are there. :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slimmer1972
My Device: BB - Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Need to define multiple smtp servers for all accounts (1 for WIFI and MOBILE network)

Yes, ISPs provide the email servers, not mobile email servers.

Switching ISPs after years and years of successful home and mobile service, b/c a half baked phone is released is plain silly.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

[ Edited ]

What exactly is a "mobile email server"? :smileyhappy:

The "half baked phone" is simply pointing out the issue with your current email provider... :smileyhappy:

Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slimmer1972

Mobile would refer to a cellular service provider.

This phone...currently...does less than my 3 year old phone. I don't know how you can argue that.

Maybe I'll just concentrate on syncing my contacts and MS Outlook. Oh, wait...
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

I could argue that it does more in some ways and less in others, I still don't understand what you think a "Mobile email Server" is. :smileyhappy:

Sure some things we are used to are not available, but many other things are.

An email account on a different email server would take care of your contact and calendering issues as well. :smileyhappy:

Sometimes you simply need to learn a new way of doing things. Imagine what it was like when people were told the world is not flat... :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slimmer1972

The Mobile Web refers to access to the world wide web, i.e. the use of browser-based Internet services, from a handheld mobile device, such as a smartphone, a feature phone or a tablet computer, connected to a mobile network or other wireless network.

You consider your method is a "New way of doing things"?

Some would say that would be looking through rose coloured glasses. I just think it's a step backwards.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

I didn't ask what the "mobile Web" was, I asked what a "mobile email server" was.... it was your term, and I had never heard of one before... so I was simply wondering what it was... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slimmer1972

If you couldn't piece together that "mobile email server" referred to "mobile service", either you know less than you do, or you were trying to be a jerk.

Either way, a witty response with no actual valid points leads me to believe that you know there is no argument to the fact that BB missed the mark on this and had better provide some updates soon.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

Nope, not being a jerk, just trying to undersand where you were going with you statement.

slimmer1972 said:

Yes, ISPs provide the email servers, not mobile email servers.

Switching ISPs after years and years of successful home and mobile service, b/c a half baked phone is released is plain silly.

It seemed to me like you were suggesting that Blackberry should be providing you with a mobile email server to cover the shortcomings of your current ISPs mail server which provides only partial service.

I actually did provide you with a solution to your issue 8 posts ago:

Get an email account that allows for SMTP authentication from any network.

Nowhere did I suggest switching ISP or mobile network providers. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
slimmer1972

[ Edited ]

In the immortal words of Keaton "You're making me tired all over."

No where did I suggest that BB should provide any sort of server. I stated that they once allowed multiple smtps (as many smartphones/tablets still do) to be used on their phones and now they've stopped.

I think it was a mistake and they should correct this.

Forcing (and nobody is Forcing) users to use different email addresses as a work-around is a weak response. You don't have to search very far to see how many have returned these units, or have gone back to their old BBs, to see this is not a small matter.

Furthermore, I like the Z10 for the most part, and for many different reasons.  You seem to want to blame everyone else for BB's shortcomings, drewread.

Learn to look at both sides of the argument every once in a while, lest EVERYONE think you a fanboi.

Please use plain text.