If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Need to define multiple smtp servers for all accounts (1 for WIFI and MOBILE network)

slimmer1972 wrote:

In the immortal words of Keaton "You're making me tired all over."

No where did I suggest that BB should provide any sort of server. I stated that they once allowed multiple smtps (as many smartphones/tablets still do) to be used on their phones and now they've stopped.

I think it was a mistake and they should correct this.

Forcing (and nobody is Forcing) users to use different email addresses as a work-around is a weak response. You don't have to search very far to see how many have returned these units, or have gone back to their old BBs, to see this is not a small matter.

Furthermore, I like the Z10 for the most part, and for many different reasons.  You seem to want to blame everyone else for BB's shortcomings, drewread.

Learn to look at both sides of the argument every once in a while, lest EVERYONE think you a fanboi.

Just to clarify because I understand why you're asking for this but BBOS didn't allow people to define multiple SMTP servers.  It used BES/BIS for email.  BIS spoof'd your sent from address.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
slimmer1972
My Device: BB - Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Need to define multiple smtp servers for all accounts (1 for WIFI and MOBILE network)

Right - but BB provided the work around for it to work?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

I honestly don't care who thinks I am a "fanboi" as you call it, it doesn't bother me...

Yes I am a fan of Blackberry devices and have been for a long time. I also see the huge potential in the Z10, and as an early adopter by nature, I am more than able to overlook any shortcomings and bugs in V1.0 of a brand new OS. :smileyhappy: It's just in my nature to enjoy figuring ways around issues rather than complaining about them.

None of the issues with this new device have affected my workflow, other than to change it to the better. Setting up IMAP on both my Z10, playbook and outlook has afforded me fantastic reconciliation.. so much so that I wished I had switched from the lame POP way of doing things many years ago. :smileyhappy:

If you are unwilling to admit that you ISP is providing you with "half baked" access to your SMTP server, then you will have to switch back to an older Blackberry and wait to see if Blackberry ever decides to add dual SMTP server access, or switch to a different device that offers a workaround for that issue. There really isn't much else to it at this point.

I'm not trying to be argumentative.. those are the simple facts. :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slimmer1972
My Device: BB - Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Congratulations, Andrew. I was on the fence about keeping this unit and waiting for updates or returning the Z10. Your scary admiration for Blackberry, inability to see that this release has some real issues and your blame-anyone-but-BB / fanboi blindness has tipped the scales for me. I returned my unit and 9 of my employees units this morning. It's been real.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

My ISP does the same with outgoing mail.
ISP mail isn't great for mobile if your device direct accesses email like BB10 does.

Gmail, hotmail, outllook.com, yahoo and many more offer fetching features so you won't have this issue.

BIS never had direct access. There is a server in the middle and on wifi it uses a VPN like feature to access BIS.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

[ Edited ]

slimmer1972 wrote:
Congratulations, Andrew. I was on the fence about keeping this unit and waiting for updates or returning the Z10. Your scary admiration for Blackberry, inability to see that this release has some real issues and your blame-anyone-but-BB / fanboi blindness has tipped the scales for me. I returned my unit and 9 of my employees units this morning. It's been real.

Don't get me wrong.. I blame blackberry for all kinds of things, simply not how your crippled ISP email servers are setup! :smileyvery-happy: lol

Lol.. enjoy your new phones! :smileyhappy:

Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

slimmer1972 wrote:

I wouldn't use Andrew to decide whether you keep a device or not.  It's a great device but there are definitely very real issues with the device.  As already posted, though, ISP mail isn't great on mobile devices.  Never has been.  If it works, it's full of spam.  The BIS system on old BB devices was quite unique and, in my opinion, was superior to what the Z10 has.  That said, however, what the Z10 has for email setup is the same as all the other mobile devices so BB just slides right in with the rest of them.  I don't know what the strategy is for phasing out BIS but it's going to slowly happen.  Sorry to hear of your troubles. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

Thanks for the kudos J_C.. :smileyhappy: lol.

Personally I wouldn't use me or the existance of any 'fanboi' as a deciding factor to purchase a phone or not.. I think you'll have trouble finding a manufacturer that doesn't have "fanboi's", unless maybe you are looking at Windows Mobile devices. hehe.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CanuckYYC
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Need to define multiple SMTP servers for all accounts (1 for WIFI and MOBILE network)

Here's my environment:

Mobile Provider: Bell

Home ISP: Shaw

Work ISP: Telus

SMTP Mail Host: Yet Someone Else

It is the policy of all providers, near as I have been able to ascertain from my non-mobile related experiences, that it is not flaky ISP servers, but a formal policy of restricting access to any SMTP servers on competing providers.  Sending mail via my SMTP mail host while connected at work used to work fine.  Same while sending at home.  It started when my (at the time Telus) home provider blocked access to SMTP servers that weren't theirs.  I added the Telus SMTP server on my laptop (Outlook) and went back to work to find out that my then work provider (Shaw) allowed access to everyone except Telus - so I couldn't send email from work.  There was no solution in this scenario - using the Shaw SMTP or the 3rd Party, I couldn't send at home.  Using the home SMTP , I couldn't send at work.  The solution became glaringly obvious when Telus offered that by upgrading my home internet service, I could gain access to 3rd-party servers again.  So I closed my phone and internet accounts with Telus.

My iPhone currently has a multitude of servers available for email, and it very astutely cycles through them as it attempts to send mail.  If I'm at home on the wifi, it will eventually run into Shaw's SMTP server and mail will go successfully.  If I'm out and not on any wifi or at work, it will send through Fido.  This seems like a very, very workable solution.

My Z30 is a work phone with a split environment (Blackberry balance) and has one personal email account also loaded onto it.  At the moment, I can only send personal email when I'm at home or in one of Shaw's (admittedly wide-spread) free wifi zones.  This is frankly unacceptable.  I'm not sure why the request for this functionality is treated like some high-handed demand.  "Change your email provider to webmail" - that is an idiotic solution.  Why not allow us a list of SMTP servers?  Easy!

I try, and try and try to be a Blackberry promoter.  It's some strange sense of patriotic duty and frankly a bit of anti-Apple.  I want Blackberry to succeed and this Z30 is just a thing of beauty.  I love this phone, except for when I don't.  I expect it, at the very least, to provide the technical capability of my (years old) iPhone - not the Apple-specific **bleep**, not their closed environment bit, not their uniquely Apple items - just, to do those universal things - phone, email, web, text - that all of these mobile devices do, to do them well.  That's not unreasonable. 

Please use plain text.