Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
dynatechconsulting
My Device: Z10

Need to define multiple smtp servers for all accounts (1 for WIFI and MOBILE network)

Hi.   I just bought a BB10 and so far, loving it.   My phone service provider is Telus but I do not use their email.   So when I am on the Telus network, my smtp server setting needs to be smtp.telus.net and when I am on WIFI, I need to point to smtp.cogeco.ca.   Home can I set this up?

Contributor
arkaroola

Re: Need to define multiple smtp servers for all accounts (1 for WIFI and MOBILE network)

great idea for an app !
I am in the same boat with cogeco.  My solution is to migrate away from my cogeco email address.  When I talked to tech support, their solution was to change the smtp settings for the account every time I left the house.   I laughed and asked if they were serious ?  They were.  Since I like my Z10 more than cogeco, I will reduce my dependence on cogeco email.

dynatechconsulting wrote:

Hi.   I just bought a BB10 and so far, loving it.   My phone service provider is Telus but I do not use their email.   So when I am on the Telus network, my smtp server setting needs to be smtp.telus.net and when I am on WIFI, I need to point to smtp.cogeco.ca.   Home can I set this up?

New Contributor
dynatechconsulting

Re: Need to define multiple smtp servers for all accounts (1 for WIFI and MOBILE network)

I was told by telus that BB supported a secondary smtp server.    So the primary smtp (cogeco) would be used on wifi and the secondary (telus) on mobile when no wifi was available.    So you are saying this is not the case?

Contributor
arkaroola

I talked to telus and cogeco about this and no one mentioned a secondary smtp server.  If it is an option, it is not available in the current OS version.  I have been trying to turn off the automatic download of attachments to the Z10 and I have spent a lot of time with telus talking about email settings and I don't see this option in any settings.
dynatechconsulting wrote:

I was told by telus that BB supported a secondary smtp server.    So the primary smtp (cogeco) would be used on wifi and the secondary (telus) on mobile when no wifi was available.    So you are saying this is not the case?

New Contributor
dynatechconsulting

If I would have know this I would have bought an iPhone instead.  Actually, I will return the Z10 Monday and get the iPhone 5.   Enough is enough.

New Contributor
dynatechconsulting

Just got off the phone with Telus.   iPhone and older BBs do support defining multiple smtp servers.   However, in their ultimate wisdom, BB decided to not include that feature in their OS 10.   Nice.

Contributor
slimmer1972
My Device: BB - Z10

Blackberry confirmed this with me today, too.  What an utter let down.

BB's answer to me was to ask my ISP to give me another SMTP.  Yyyyyyyyyeaaaaahhhh...

Forums Advisor III
drewread

slimmer1972 wrote:

Blackberry confirmed this with me today, too.  What an utter let down.

BB's answer to me was to ask my ISP to give me another SMTP.  Yyyyyyyyyeaaaaahhhh...

It is actually not that an unreasonable of a request. :smileyhappy: If you can only connect to your SMTP server via your home network, what do you do with a notebook computer when you take it away on vacation? You would have to change the SMTP server on the notebook as soon as you are off of that network.

Granted that having the option for dual SMTP servers is a nice idea (and hopefully will be added in a future release) you will have problems with those emails being detected as SPAM when their SPF records don't match for the domain that the email address is on. It all depends on the mail server that is receiving the email, many would very easily flag a message that comes from address@thisdomain.com, but is in fact sent by anotherdomain.com's email server as SPAM.

If your ISP cannot provide you with information for a SMTP server that allows authentication off of their network, are they actually providing you with a complete service? :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
dynatechconsulting

I've accepted the fact that I have to disconnect from WIFI when sending emails when not at home.
Contributor
slimmer1972
My Device: BB - Z10

Actually, the role of my ISP is to provide the Internet. The role of the BlackBerry is to provide many, many things including incoming & outgoing email, wifi, etc. 

The fact that BlackBerry did provide multiple smtp previous to BB10, just proves my point more.