Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
ExchangeVeteran
My Device: Bold9900, Z10
My Carrier: Virgin

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook- Day 7

I wasn't criticizing the "volunteers" I was criticizing the lack of strategic thought on the part of the product.  We - the volunteers - should not have to come up with solutions such as those proffered here to solve problems BB should have dealt with in advance.  

Understand how silly it is for BB to have its user base have to use the infrastructure and services of MSFT for its product to be effective.  Now that is GRADE A wrong from a strategic planning and customer retention perspective.

And get off the iPhone gig.  its a toy.  The real challenge to BB customer retention is Samsung.

Please dont take my criticism to heart.  Im disapponted aith the last of the CDN success stories.  I have been defending this comonay for years and I feel betrayed.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ExchangeVeteran

In another post I said Im not ciricizing the people who came up withthe work around.  I am critical of the fact that have to do such a silly thing in and of itseld.  Imagine the planning meeting:

"oh, well we dont have to do that now, our users can go use MSFT to solve the problem."

omg.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mediabirdie
My Device: BBZ10 (so far), Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Thankyou !
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ExchangeVeteran

I also noticed that MSFT offers hosted exchange for $/month... 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BrockLtd
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I'm giving the workarounds a fair go but I am having some trouble. The csv export & import routine was a lot of work & bombed out due to incompatible characters. Two smaller data sets came over no problem but I had to split the large CSV file (about 6500 contacts) into 7 smaller files & none of them came across. Decided to look for an alternative at this point.

I then set up an Outlook.com account, added it to my desktop Outlook, & copied the contacts & calendar over to the new Outlook.com account. There were some issues in the first pass of the transfer, including company names that were too long, text blocks that were too long, etc. I kept clicking OK for things to proceed & it looked like it finally got them all over. That said, I know I've got missing bits & pieces of data when compared to my desktop Outlook. Is there somewhere on the phone I can find the number of contacts on board?

I did the same thing with Calendar & it ran, & bombed, & ran again, for a half day yesterday & continues to run, again & again, today. The Calendar wasn't really that big & I did deleted the info from 2010 & older. Finally, after running for a couple of hours today, there are some Calendar entries on the phone but the Send/Receive Process continues to fail & start over.

I'm glad this is working for some but I'm still hoping the old bullet proof version is back soon.

Any insight or suggestions on the above issues?

Regards & thanks.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cleafloor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

I have a Torch, and was about to upgrade to a Z10, but have now decided to wait, as a result of reading the posts here about difficulties people are having syncing their devices to their personal computers running Outlook.  As a result of these difficulties, I thought I would investigate the issue, with my Torch, before upgrading.  I have now spent many hours trying to get my Torch to sync wirelessly, thus by-passing Desktop Manager as the usual conduit for syncing to Outlook.  My conclusion is that the wireless solution does not work as well as Desktop Manager.

Some of the commentators have noted difficulties in using gmail as a wireless conduit, and some commentators have suggested using Outlook.com.  So I tried Outlook.com.  I was able to set up an Outlook.com account, which then displayed Outlook.com folders for mail, calendar and tasks in my desktop Outlook on my computer.  I was able to copy my data from my existing personal folders into these new folders on my home computer, and eventually this data was transferred to the online Outlook.com folders.  (Actually, only the mail, calendar and contact lists were linked, as I was not able to get the tasks to link to the online Outlook.com.  Perhaps there is an easy fix to this.)  The syncing was not perfect, however, since the online Outlook.com calendar is not able to show different colours for the different categories of events.  In desktop Outlook, you can assign events to categories, and give these different colours, but in the online Outlook.com, although the categories are still there, the colours are gone.  As well, the categories do not transfer for the contacts, which is to say that the categories assigned to contacts on the desktop Outlook are missing from Outlook.com.  It is possible to assign contacts to groups in the online Outlook.com (similar to gmail), but this is not the same thing as the categories in desktop Outlook.  I was able to get these Outlook.com contacts to then sync wirelessly to my Torch, but the categories were missing, as they were also missing from Outlook.com.  As I have about a thousand contacts, I do not want to re-create all of these categories for each contact on my Torch.

As well, I was not able to get the Outlook.com calendar and tasks to sync wirelessly with my Torch.  Perhaps there is a simple way to do this that I do not know about.  Or perhaps Outlook.com simply does not allow for this.  I see that gmail is able to sync a calendar, but I don’t think that is able to sync a task list.

In short, Outlook.com does not seem to be a solution to this problem of how to wirelessly sync a blackberry to a desktop Outlook which is a stand-alone machine.  Other commentators have said that gmail isn’t a satisfactory solution, either.  Even if these solutions did work, there would still be a concern that confidential information is now being mirrored in the cloud, in Outlook.com or Google, and there may be concerns about the long-term privacy of this.  As well, by adding various intermediate steps, the possibility of the syncing-system getting screwed-up increases.  As well, the groupings by categories seems to be lost.

So, I have now concluded that before I get a Z10, I should wait to see if the new Blackberry Link will be upgraded so that it can directly sync the Z10 with desktop Outlook.  Companionlink has announced that it will sell a program that will do this, but their website says that this will not be available until May, and will cost about $50 for a licence.  I’ll buy a licence if I have to, but I would prefer if this was part of the standard Blackberry Link software, since I expect that would avoid complexity and would likely work better.

Also, I am disappointed to see that the Z10 does not allow for organizing events by categories for all items in the calendar, contacts, tasks and memos, as is possible in desktop Outlook. I find this to be a very useful feature in Outlook.  I know that it is possible to add this function to our blackberries by purchasing software like Pocket Informant (which is no longer available for blackberries) or perhaps Companionlink, but it would be best if this was part of the native programs on the Z10, since it would likely be more reliable.  In my experience, the more programs you need to do a task, where those programs have to work together, the greater the likelihood that something will not work as it should.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray
My Device: Blackberry Z10 and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

I agree.

Defending the company and feeling betrayed is precisely the point. How can BB have made such a totally half-arsed strategic decision. I know people, nay teams of people, who have been fired for a whole lot less than this mess.

And to think that BB's "Customer Support" people explained to me over the weekend that the fact that Z10/BB10 does not work with or recognise Microsoft Outlook is the result of a "decision taken at the highest level"!!

Maybe they should have consulted the janitor!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray

I tried the Outlook.com "solution" and had precisely the same result - with a whole lot less contacts than 6,700!!

I have now given up and am handing back the Z10

What a disappointment after so many months of waiting and expectation!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray

Amen to all of this - and many thanks for taking the trouble to share your experience at such length.

Much appreciated

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lmsmes
My Device: 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

I wonder if the decision has anything to do with the direction that Microsoft is taking.   I have read horrific reviews of Windows 8 which appears to be designed for the Phone/cloud market (mostly from IT people and those expecting the status quo).    Is their plan to be ultimately in the cloud, and we are all thinking that Outlook as it exists in the non-cloud today will continue as is?   Perhaps we are upset that the dinosaur is not syncing with the spaceship?  (Even though the dinosaur had some redeeming qualities and the spaceship leaves something to be desired?)

Please use plain text.