Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

lrfoster
My Device: z10

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

If this huge oversight is not fixed I will have to return my z10 before my 14 days are up. This is a real bummer.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
askalice
My Device: Z10

I am completely stunned that Outlook can't be synced. As a consultant, the BB has become my office on the go, and there is no point in having the Z10 at all without this feature.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
daphnes2013

[ Edited ]

TyW wrote:

Hi it’s Ty from BlackBerry.

We want to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that we are listening.

Some of you on this thread are asking how to sync PIM data between your BlackBerry Z10 and computer in general. Others just want to do this directly between the phone and computer. We want to address both here.

With BlackBerry 10 the syncing of PIM data between your BlackBerry Z10 and computer can be easily configured to happen over the air.  You need to add your existing webmail accounts on the BlackBerry Z10 and set the email, contacts, calendar for syncing. We have posted information on how to do this for example with Outlook.com on the Help Blog.

For those of you for whom over the air synchronization is not an option, we want to assure you that direct sync via USB is also being worked on and we are committed on adding this capability as part of our BlackBerry Link software suite. Our first major update for BlackBerry Link coming in the next few weeks will include the ability to import contact and calendar information directly from Outlook to your BlackBerry 10 smartphone. Full two-way sync will be added in the next update shortly thereafter. We will provide more information about timing of these features on our various forums and blogs, but you can also look for updates at http://BlackBerry.com/BlackBerryLink

How about posting this as an announcement? Right now it's buried in this thread and people posting later are not likely going to see it.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
andrew21212
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

[ Edited ]

skalice wrote:

I am completely stunned that Outlook can't be synced. As a consultant, the BB has become my office on the go, and there is no point in having the Z10 at all without this feature.

So was I.    

I think they did not realize the Desktop Outlook is an Organizer where you tie all your Tasks, people working on / or related to those Tasks ( Contacts) and target  Dates ( Calendar)  , Track progress &  notes and the Journal.  

It is the Glue for my small Business.  

They seem to have thought everyone just used it for Email,Calendar & Contacts and could use a basic free Webmail.

We are on the right Track now.  The Question will be if the final product is fully functional as the Desktop Manager.

On a side note, I am surprised at all the people that call it the USB sync as I always did it wirelessly ( Bluetooth) 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ExchangeVeteran
My Device: Bold9900, Z10

Wow,  so this is my last post unless some resident expert takes more personal shots at me yet again... But I have to say this is simply incredible.  I, along with numerous users who have expressed themselves here, am shocked that BB could have been so completely irresponsible..  (and by the way, the old customer satisfaction axiom was that for every person that complained the vendor could count on at least ten others who had the same negative experience but weren't inclined to voice their dissatisfaction.  Today, smart merchandisers think this ration is now 1:1000)

Like the other die-hard and loyal BB users here, I literally ran down to the store to get the z10 b/c I wanted a GUI BB platform that rocked and I assumed that it would be all that I wanted in terms of its relationship with Outlook and / or exchange.  

Outlook has Email, Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, and Notes which can all be managed and sorted using master and non master categories.  

My 9900 (a fantastic device with a terrible browser) in association with my hosted exchange provider gave me real time synchronization of all the key aspects of outlook that helped me run as many as three operating companies with over 10,000 employees.  

I formed my BB heroin habit at TD bank - an early and big proponent of the BB backplane.  There, I was among many who voted in favour of standardizing on the BB device. Later I went on to found several businesses and I always insisted on centering our mobile platforms around BB. 

Then I got my z10.

Doh...

Now what do I get?  a device that is a mediocre iPhone and a really substandard android.  

My first gen android product was more adept and dealing with my professional organisational and communication needs than the z10 is today.   

As I have said in other comments in this thread and elsewhere  -  I’m very unhappy, more so because, as a stalwart BB fan (did everyone read that?) I'm most disappointed that, yet again, it seems a great Cdn success story has lost its way.  Even your ads demonstrate you are more interested in 21 yr individual users than the corporate and government enterprise customers that made BB what it WAS.

3 weeks, 6 weeks, whatever. The functionality we all took for granted should have been in beta v1 let alone something we have to wait for. I have now spent numerous professional hours (including those of my staff) trying the z10 and then reverting to my9900 –a device that shakes outlook / exchange by the knees and does not require us to open up a hotmail acct to xfr data (yet another example of complete strategic dereliction as to customer retention let alone acquisition. Imagine the thinking: ‘don’t worry, go use our competitor, we'll get back to you in 6 weeks.  You are important to us.’ OMG, LOL good thinking – way to protect the franchise eh?). 

Me and my companies are standardizing on android (the winphone 8 i just tried is not much better than the z10).  

with regret...

It all translates into this:  short the stock to $10 and then reverse because maybe msft, lenovo or Sammy may decide to buy the customer list and the odd patent.  active synch - a msft product - is the heart of all this real time synch stuff. The security hegemony that BB claimed as its alone is being assaulted by enterprise apps delivered by apple and by Samsung's new SAFE initiative. This organization is no longer competent at retaining value let alone creating it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
KevinG99_AB
My Device: BlackBerry Z10/Bold 9700

Ty,

Thank you for responding here in the forums.  I wonder if there's a "solved" feature or a way to have administrator's responses show as "sticky posts"?

Either way, I look forward to the update. As I'm sure you can tell from the responses here, nothing against Alicia Keys but I think a lot of us would rather see "Mr. or Ms. Business Power User" as a spokesperson to make sure the needs of the business user aren't being put second to the needs of the Angry Birds player.   If one judges by App World, the removal of BIS, and the removal of Outlook sync functionality, with all due respect it seems so far like that's the case?

Nonetheless, thanks to your response I'll now hold on to the device and continue to have hope while I await the Link updates in the near future. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Enterprise SME
-BD-

ExchangeVeteran wrote:
My 9900 (a fantastic device with a terrible browser) in association with my hosted exchange provider gave me real time synchronization of all the key aspects of outlook that helped me run as many as three operating companies with over 10,000 employees. 

If you have hosted exchange shouldn't you be able to connect via activesync and get all of your data?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,955
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

-BD- wrote:

If you have hosted exchange shouldn't you be able to connect via activesync and get all of your data?

Of course one can do that.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
xdoomx
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Yeah, MASSIVE oversight by BB. If retaining their existing users was their priority this should have been a KEY feature. There is essentially no upgrade path to Z10. NOTHING. I dont know about you but I dont really want my old (much lower res) 9800 camera photos and videos on my Z10 and that's all that it appears  that LINK does. I want to move every contact on my old phone to my new phone, quick and seamlessly. It took me 12 hours behind a PC hacking away to get it to work. (move contacts to 'Default' category out of 'Desktop' category).

Get this working before the US launch or you will be destroyed by the US blogger community.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
KevinG99_AB
My Device: BlackBerry Z10/Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

-BD- wrote: If you have hosted exchange shouldn't you be able to connect via activesync and get all of your data?

Right, but I think much of the point that people are trying to get across here is that everyone was hoping for a Bberry solution that used to exist that was now (stealthily) taken away.

One is we're asking why, two is if BBerry's working on it and three hopefully by when (thanks again to Ty). Most of us know or can figure out the workarounds, but when Blackberry will not say right away "hey we're working on that and here's the approx date we're hoping for it" (until Ty's response, that is) it creates a lot of sour and uncertainty with the loyals.

Not trying to beat up on you BD but I think we're all pretty clear on what workarounds we can use. The suggestions from developers are good but an overall response from corporate would be better. How about a blog/wiki page with planned updates now that the cat's out of the bag on the lack of apps and this Outlook thing?

Btw, Bberry's suggestion of Outlook.com still doesn't handle Notes, which I rely on heavily from my 9700. I'm more interested in why Blackberry chose to drop this sync and native app and go with what seems to be an iPhone wanna-be move here. From there it's the same questions from above - is Bberry working on a Blackberry solution, and if so by when. (And yes, I'm aware that I can just use Evernote! :smileywink:

The suggested workarounds are a help to some but I think the rest of us need to emphasize that it's only half of what we're really looking for.

Please use plain text.