Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Visitor
Mustangman
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Saskatel

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

Will this be a soft ware update or a hard ware update?  In other words, do I have to wait for this change to be made to get a new BB?  It is 100% essential to me that I can sync with Outlook (BB is for business afterall) and there is no way my firm will allow "air" sync (and frankly, I shouldn't have to waste time with it anyway).  So - can I get a BB10 now (well, not now, I'm waiting for the Q10) or do I have to wait until a new phone is put out?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Mustangman, it will be a software update, to the desktop Link software.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
franmella
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

This will be a softwear update.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dance_Sport
My Carrier: Bell Canada

I think everyone has had a very thorough go at this. Myself included. 

Just yesterday, I received a message from Microsoft that either I voluntarily convert to Outlook.Com or else it will be done for me anyway, after a certain date.

Perhaps, like many of you, I value my freedom in deciding what I choose to do, including choosing between a direct USB Synch to Outlook or OTA synch VIA Outlook.com. Not for any practical reasons, but for what is left that is our own pad.

There is very little that would be damaging or important, even if my e-mail contacts and calendar details were to be hacked into.

However, I feel that there is so little that is left, of our own corner in this e-world. Hence, tenaciously, I like many of you, appreciates having that tether between our BBZ10 and our PC.

Ironically, that we thought of keeping this part private, between ourselves and our PC is in total contradiction to ÖUTLOOK!

Really, "Sync to Outlook!"

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BrockLtd
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I agree with that sentiment, I detest being forced over to the cloud for everything. I'm just fine with some stuff being between me, my PC & my phone.

On a purely practical note though, given that I am using my Outlook.com account as a temporary bridge, I find it's a pain. Having multiple accounts & calendars within Outlook is a pain. I know I'm "supposed" to kill the desktop one but #### that, I'm hoping that's the one I'm going back to depending on really soon!

I have sent a couple of work emails that mysteriously came from my personal Outlook.com account. Obviously I somehow flipped the "Send from" switch but I have no idea how & I'm looking forward to getting that accout off my desktop Outlook really soon!

I went to repair a door stop strip at the weekend & my pneumatic nailer needed some minor maintenance. Once that was done I located the compressor & found it shy of oil. Had to make a trip to Canadian Tire for that & about 4 hours after I began the process, I discovered I had no nail strips for the gun. Exhausted, I gave in & got my old fashioned ballpeen & a panel pin. The door stop was fixed in about 2 minutes.

Sometimes ........ all you need to drive a nail is a hammer!

Despite a few little app issues, I'm otherwise lovin' my Z10 more every day, it's not just a cool BlackBerry, it's a cool phone.

What's the update, Ty, another week or so for the first phase of the Outlook sync?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Dance_Sport wrote:

Just yesterday, I received a message from Microsoft that either I voluntarily convert to Outlook.Com or else it will be done for me anyway, after a certain date.

That has nothing do to with BlackBerry. And, if you don't want to use Outlook.com, you don't need to. No one is forcing you to do so.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dance_Sport
My Carrier: Bell Canada

"That has nothing do to with BlackBerry. And, if you don't want to use Outlook.com, you don't need to. No one is forcing you to do so"

I do know that it has nothing to do with BlackBerry and I am not using Outlook.Com to sync. 

I think the point I was trying to make was that, often decisions are made by companies other that BlackBerry and we wind up howling at the Moon!

However, if enough of us bay at the Moon, perhaps it might just move BlackBerry to sit up and listen and we would be so grateful!

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

They have listened and it is coming. We just don't know when.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
highlandit
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: O2

[ Edited ]

Hi

I'm an IT consultant and also working as a business advisor for local enterprise agencies in the North of Scotland.  I have already had one client who returned his Z10 and opted for an iPhone because of the lack of sync with the standalone version of Outlook on his PC.  Another client has just got a Z10 and is waiting for the roll-out of this feature in BlackBerry Link.  If it doesn't meet his needs, I suspect he too will abandon BlackBerry. 

I am currently running a BlackBerry Torch and rely upon the sync feature to keep my calendar and contacts up-to-date.  Using a cloud workaround is not a satisfactory option so I will not upgrade to Z10 until this problem is solved.

If BlackBerry does not manage to meet this basic requirement of small business users, I fear the company may fail to survive in a highly competitive and increasingly crowded marketplace.

Steve Rowan

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rick_RT
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Vodafone

I'm also in the UK and I've been following this thread with great interest.

I have been using my BlackBerry Torch and rely on its ability to sync with Outlook (contacts, calendar, tasks) via USB. Syncing to the cloud is not acceptable to me in my small business and line of work. I took deilvery of a Z10 a few days after launch and whilst I found it be a fantastic phone, the lack of this very basic function caused me to return it less than 24 hours later.

I have returned to my Torch for now and will wait to see how long it takes Blackberry to roll out (or rather, to bring back) this feature.
Please use plain text.