Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
Strauchs
My Device: Z10

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

I may be of some small help to those who either can’t find the USB sync to Outlook on the Blackberry (BB) Link or can’t get it to work. After many hours of trial and error, I figured it out. I’m sure you already know that the BB Link isn’t elegant. The USB sync was shoe-horned in. It is written by geeks for geeks. Evidently the attitude at the Z10 development team is that if you can’t figure out how to do it, you’re too stupid to own a smart phone. The option to transfer your contacts and calendar from Outlook will not appear as a radio button. It is hidden. You have to look at the bottom of the Link panel for “Blackberry-A7ED” or something else that is the name of your Blackberry. If you click the up arrow, you should see (but probably won’t) an option to transfer files. Now comes the tricky part. There is nothing intuitive about the process they provided. The Geeks thought that I wanted to watch videos and play games and music on my phone. I just want a working phone and a good contact list. Afterall, Blackberry was originally marketed as the ultimate business phone. That is why it is so curious that they didn’t provide a USB sync to Outlook. The geeks thought that a wireless sync was cool—ignoring that outlook.com doesn’t sync contact photos or the calendar. First, make sure you have version 1.1.0.37, or later. The name of the download file is 110-bo42. Now connect your Blackberry Z10 via USB to your computer. If you don’t see the option to transfer, you need to click the up arrow I mention above and select “remove device.” Now you have to disconnect the USB connection and wait until everything settles down. Reconnect the USB cable (the timing is the tricky part) and you will be given the option to inialize your Z10 phone. There are 14 steps. Skip the stupid steps (such as updating from your old phone) by clicking next. Finally, you will see a panel come up that asks you to transfer contacts and calendar from Outlook. Click OK. This is a crude workaround and will frustrate you. For the next few weeks my recommendation is to make call changes and updates to contacts and the calendar manually. The reason is that the next time you connect to the Link, the option to transfer data will be missing again. You would have to repeat the entire process I describe above. Moreover, the Link won’t update changed data. Rather, it will reload the entire contact list and calendar as if it was the first time. Another frustration is that the workaround these geeks created won’t transfer the contact photos. I suppose they didn’t think anyone should need them. I sometimes meet people in restaurants that I haven’t met before and the images are important. BB has promised a two-way sync in a few weeks. I would like to think that they’ll patch these mistakes—but I doubt they will. Live with it or, as I plan to do, switch to iPhone. I didn’t want a new learning curve, having to learn the iPhone, but I honestly don’t think Blackberry will be in business in a year or two. Their market share has already dropped to very low levels and Z10 is not going to save them considering how poorly Z10 was managed—or I should say “not managed.” I am staying with Blackberry only long enough to allow me time to learn the iPhone. I have had a Blackberry since Day One so I am sad to leave it, but enough is enough.

Regular Contributor
MPF94025

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear of more frustrated users on this issue.

I have no affiliation with any third party company.

I've been using BB10 PC Outlook sync. It is not perfect. It is slow: syncying more than once a day is out of the question unless you have a deskjob as it takes about 30minutes per sync., one way, over-writing existing contacts/calendar on Z10. There is no specification for calendar of how many dates forward or backwards. There is no way to separate out categories.  It is a but clunky in terms of having to attach/detach Z10. On occasion, it has worked, albeit I've only tried one way Outlook to Z10 transfers for fear of corrupting my Outlook database (yes, I back it up, but still....). There are times only some of my contacts are transferred. It works for calendar items as well, and tasks (reminders). Sometimes I get duplicates and have to resyncy by deleting existing contacts.  I'm learning that there is something in their software that will not transfer material under certain circumstances, eg if a contact record has not been updated in some time. I've had good luck communicating with the company and believe they are trying hard to make this work. In brief, as it has been explained to me, there are challenges getting API's to talk to each in the proper fashion between the QNX software of BB10 and Outlook. I paid my $50 or whatever it is because that is a drop in the bucket to me for this functionality. They have released 3 updates to desktop application in last 2 weeks.

I also have an iPhone which thank goodness sync's seamlessly by USB cable two-way between Outlook and my iPhone.

On a separate note, I would point out that if one wants to make noise about this functionality, it is not going to happen through these forums. If you want to motivate BBRY to address this issue, I think they will be far more motivated if the concerns are raised in a businsess forum. I've suggested a website called Seekingalpha.com. The name of the web site is not important, and I have NO financial relationship with the website. There are free subscriptions/registrations, and for a fee extra services. ANYONE in these forums who wishes to bring this issue to the point where it will get a response, will happen on businses pages, not tech pages. Does anyone in this forum think Apple addressed the Google-maps screwup because it was on the Apple support pages? No. They paid attention when it made the Wall Street Journal. Comments and articles on seekingalpha.com are part of RSS feeds for major financial web sites, like Yahoo Finance, Barrons, WSJ, Google Finance etc. Your voices will be heard. Thus far, few have complaind about this issue in this business forum. Hence, BBRY thinks there are only a handful of people who care. The point is to motivate not only BBRY, but potential investors, that the company stands to lose considerable business by failing to address this issue promptly. Otherwise, they will think only about a dozen people in the world care.

I'm hoping something positive is announced at Blackberry live. Til then, I'll rely on my iPhone and crippled Z10 with a gradually improving BB10 PC Outlook sync making progress. Best wishes to all with this problem: as may others, there is no way I'm putting my PIM data in the cloud unless there is a 256 bit AES mechanism for doing so: DejaOffice does this, but I downloaded their product, and the interface is Android clunky: BB10 PC Outlook sync is an offshoot of DejaOffice in Portland that is focusing exclusively on this QNX/Outlook USB sync aspect.

I have tried the 1 way transfer and having done so advocate a) going back to BB7 b) going to iPhone c) trying BB10 Outlook sync and look for weekly improvements. I will keep posting my experience with this to the extent it may help others.

As an aside, I've written reviews on ATT, Verizon, and Amazon pointing out the lack of USB 2-way sync to help prevent honest, dedicated BB users from having their personal lives mucked up with loss of this functionality, just becuase they expected it to be there. I'm a  BBRY fan, but I have more of a commitment to other  users who are distraught overt his issue.

New Contributor
cleafloor
My Device: Torch 9800

I think it is fair to raise this on SeekingAlpha. You could post your comments, above, but tailored for that forum.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yea, I've followed SeekingAlpha for more than a couple of years and I find about half of the posts there on BlackBerry are somewhat ignorant of the product.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Strauchs

I agree with you MPF94025 but at this point I really don't care if BB pays attention to complaints or not.  In a year or two the only place you will see Blackberry is as a footnote on Wikipedia on the history of smart phones. They evidently have ineffective or uncaring senior leadership.  In 2010 their market share was 43%.  In January 2013 it was 7.2%. Now it has dropped to 5.4%.  They're toast.  Time to go to iPhone.  I hate the learning curve for a new phone system, but there is no choice.

Regular Contributor
Publisher

Why is everyone talking about iPhone as being the alternative (if they must leave the BlackBerry platform)? Why not Android? Apple's iOS is now so old, it'll have to be changed very soon with a significant update.

I went to iOS for a few months with the launch of the 5, but got rid of it as soon as BB10 was launched. Hated it. While there are issues with BB10 - the Outlook functionality being a big one for sure - I speak from experience that iOS isn't the answer. (For me at least.) BB10 for Outlook Sync is a working answer until BlackBerry provide us with a two-way sync. And from what I've seen of Android (Galaxy Note and S3/4), it would be a far better switch for those who ultimately decide to move away from the BlackBerry platform.

Personally, I'm growing more and more impressed with what BlackBerry are doing in their new 'from the ground up' operating system. We have been patient for a long time; I think we should remain so for just a little bit longer.
Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray
My Device: Blackberry Z10 and Blackberry Q10

I hear the rage and the disappointment but, as others have stated, I do believe that BB are listening and I also believe that they will sort out the USB two-way synch to Outlook.and other problems.

Yes BB's market share has dropped (which incidently is hardly the focus of this forum) but for nearly three years they have been out of what is a very fast moving market for new devces in the smart phone market. I suspect that once the bugs have been ironed out of the Z10 and the Q10, Blackberry will be back on the way up and gaining market share - big time.

Meantime those of us who have been loyal BB users since their devices were introduced to our respective markets (the UK in my case) need to hang in and let BB sort out the two way synch and the other issues which have been raised on other forums.

iPhone is not an alternative to a Blackberry. It is a sexy toy and a totally **bleep** phone with the worst aerial and network connection of any phone on the market. As for their "keyboard" - please, give me break!

PJCMoray

Contributor
JMBMichell

I Phone is not my phone of preference but i think it is a little short sighted to dish them completely.  They seem to work quite well and more and more businesses are using Apple products. My Z10 I Pad combo works. I just want a two way sync for my Z10.

Regular Contributor
MPF94025

[ Edited ]

JSanders, I agree with you 100% that half of the people on seekingalpha.com don't know about BB products like the Z10 and Q10, yet they still post comments on the "good" and "bad" features of the phone and opine regarding the future of BBRY.

I dearly wish more users in this forum who genuinely appear deeply upset with this issue would register on seekingalpha.com, as JSanders has. I wish they would follow the various threads, contribute their technical expertise to the biz world (such as the disadvantages of cloud sync), and post straightforward responses that indicate a) that they are negatively impacted by the lack of the 2-way functionality; b) as the case may be that they are going to ride it out, move to a different platform, return to an older device with BB7, etc.

In reading the posts on seekingalpha, the sentiment is clearly that only the tiniest fraction of BB users want this feature.

Should anyone wish to educate, inform, and mobilize the business community to become an ally in elevating the level of discussion regarding BB devices in general, how various aspects of functionality impact sales, how this impacts each individual and possibly the company's future, this is the absolute easiest way to do it. And if anything, it will bring more attention to the problem.

For those who say this will get fixed down the road, I am not sure. My pessimistic perspective is based on available data a) that 2 way sync is not as much a priority as texting and media management, which are far more likely to draw users from other platforms, otherwise we would already have seen it b) if a fix were around the corner BBRY would have said so (last official comment was February) c) BBRY clearly does not want anyone broadly to know about this because of the potential negative impact on sales (which is what really concerns me, because dedicated, honest, loyal BB users are  being hurt by their silence on the issue).d) BBRY figures that unless they can get the phone into the hands of the masses over the next few biz quarters  that in the end BBRY is done so it doesn't much matter whether 2way sync is available; e) lack of vocal BB users in the biz forums complaining about this issue.

This has, and will, leave many of us caught in the wake of this approach (hopefully I'm wrong), suffering. It would not be the first time a company promised a requested fix/feature which was then pushed further back and back until the company was gone. Hard to believe it happening but the numbers don't lie. BBRY is now 5% or less (approx) of all smarphone users with lots of competition from others to be #3.

Of course, without individuals making comments in other forums, it's hard to know if a a large enough portion of the BB user base is turned off because of this issue. We see thousands of page views on this forum, but how many individuals is that? Barring anyone stepping up to the plate and using another vehicle to discuss their disappointment over the lack of a fix for this issue, BBRY may continue to treat this as a minor annoyance . And frankly, unlike the Apple and Google Maps issue, if they aren't hearing anyone raise this issue in the biz community, for all we know, BBRY may push this from fix #10 to fix #50.

BBRY will focus on what they need to do get contracts with the DOD, to get BES adopted, etc, not speak to what appears to them the lonely few who miss desktop 2 way sync. So, if this is really bugging you (no pun intended) use another vehicle and raise the level of discussion.

Regarding iPhone, yes, the typing on it (and the iPad!) is a disaster compared with BB10. I'm just glad that I can use it to keep my life in order because the last month has been very hectic. I've missed a few meetings because my own "ecosystem" of scheduling has been upset. Rather than trying to use a broken BB system, I'm going to rely on my iOS full time, painful typing and all. I'm just not drawn to the Android system because a) malware issue and b) I have a fundamental problem with Android/Google +/Facebook in selling my personal information as their business model.

For what it is worth, I spent another 2 hours last night with BB10 PC Outlook sync and find a) it does not delete items from BB when requested, and it is becoming a huge time sink. Maybe it's something in my contacts that is screwed up, but I don't think so, as I'm getting contacts with names merged, duplicate contacts, duplicate calendar items). The sync took so much time last night I actually went to sleep before the sync was done after staring at it for 40 minutes (only to find the above errors) this AM.

I like two phones for the sake of redundancy and because I hate typing on iOS. I might, as others, go back to my Torch, until this is worked out.

Please consider raising this issue in the biz community and good luck to all.

Contributor
integraworks

I too just assumed all was fine, ditched my iPhone and came back to blackberry with a Z10.... only to find this major oversight!  I should have read some forums first, now I am screwed... what should be a productivity tool is going to result in massive headaches for me to sync my calendars and contacts.   How could they have been so short sighted?

Make the **bleep** things work 100% as they should before putting them out there.