Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
pnoelw
My Device: Q10

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

No it didn't clear contacts - even after a re-boot they were still there. in the end, I deleted the BBLink in settings/accounts and then re-booted. all contacts were cleared but calendar data was still there.

In Outlook, i reviewed all contacts from A to C and removed any non-standard entries in phone #'s etc. then used BBLink to do a 2-way sync just on contacts. it wrote about 100 and then "failed to commit changes to device". i sorted the list by first name, last name and company name but couldn't find the point at which it stopped writing.

so i've just deleted the BBLink again and gone back to re-load using CompanionLink. i need to get to the gym this afternoon and have spent about 15 hours on this in the last 2 days.

RIM really need to sort this out properly; soon. Please!

in the meantime - thank you to all on this forum for your suggestions and guidance. it's certainly a loyal community and it would be a shame for us to start moving way from BB. having had 2 previous BB's which i've really enjoyed as business tools on the road, i did my homework before deciding to try again. i was aware of the syncing problem which most felt had been overcome with the release of BBL10.1. i seem to have been one of the unlucky ones for whom the problem still exists.

it probably is an issue with the integrity of my outlook database which BBLink isn't robust enough to handle. one would expect it to skip and report the entries it cannot read and carry on with the rest. that would be a help......

in the time it's taken to write this, CompLink has done the job and says it's finished. But 10 minutes later the Q10 is still churning away. i'm beginning to think that the root problem is in the Q10 OS or the internal data structure. it's very slow to write and display..........i wonder?

Noel.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

The "Clear Local Contacts" option will not clear the Link sync contacts. The only way I can think of to clear them is to remove the Link "account" under Accounts in Settings.

As for the sync failure I would recommend what PJCMoray did. Open Outlook and go through your contact list and look for oddities. I did this in my Outlook and solved some sync issues between my Z10 and Exchange. Some of the corruption was actually caused by the BES sync I had previously. Don't know how or why but I had some strange things in my contact list.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
JSanders
Solutions: 5,978
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

One specific thing to do is to remove ALL contact groups you might have in outlook.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
pnoelw
My Device: Q10

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook ......SOLUTION - sort of

After an intense 48 hours, I have managed to get BBLink to sync a reduced contact list – progressively trimmed from 970 to 485. My elation over CompanionLink was premature and short-lived. Even on its first sync it was bulking up the 970 contacts to a hearty 1400 and immediately writing them back to Outlook. Luckily I took regular copies of the pst and was able to backstep easily. It appears that CompanionLink was writing a copy of each contact with which it had a problem and keeping both. Some entries had 3 copies.

I eventually decided it would be best to persevere with BBLink and work through the issues. To do this, I exported the contact list to Excel, identified the non-synced items and worked through any potential irregularities in those. The Excel export shows all the fields and can be sorted by any field. Unfortunately, the synch process doesn’t appear to work in strictly alphabetical order, so it is impossible to tell which item caused the issue each time and many of the items which hadn’t synched may well have been OK. The only definite problem I had was that about 6 of the anniversary dates were at 01/01/4015 – as previously reported by another contributor. There were some alpha characters in a few of the telephone fields, etc. In all, it took 6 iterations of the contact list and about 12 hours’ work.

Thank you to everyone here for their advice. There are a couple of issues which I would like to escalate back to BB so I hope they monitor these threads. Perhaps a few of you may already have some answers

1. 2-way sync is working for contacts, but calendar events added on the device do not get transferred to Outlook. New Outlook calendar events do write to the device. Any ideas?
  2. i also note that events and items added in the device and then subsequently deleted in Outlook, reamin on the device.
  3. It would be good to have a menu item in the device contacts which would give a total count of contacts which could then be compared with the Outlook count so that one could pick up any new duplicates or items failing to sync.
  4. It would be nice if the whole sync process didn’t fail because of 1 poor record. It should skip that record, report or log the issue and continue with the balance of the sync. Not knowing which field in which item is faulty makes it next to impossible to fix.
  5. BBLink completes the sync with a message that it has successfully done the job. But the information section on the top left of the desktop still states “Last Sync – never”, whereas it does properly record the time and date of the last backup. when it does the next sync it does folow the intelligent process and only re-write the changes items, so it does recognise previous syncs. Any ideas?

We have a public holiday in SA today, so I’ve effectively spent 2 days of the long weekend sorting the phone out. And it was imperative that I got it sorted before work commences on Tuesday as I rely on it as part of my administrative toolkit. I’m a sole consultant and don’t have pa’s and admin people doing all that for me! Going back to the 9780 wasn't an option because i had to get a micro sim which won't fit the 9780. Hopefully I can now enjoy the phone!

Noel.

New Contributor
JAG-BB_Z10
My Device: blackberry 39d6, Z10

tirgoman - did you have any luck with bblink and the calendar and contact sync on a POP account? I've reloaded to the latest link software, latest OS on my Z10 and still BBLINK says my OS does not support 2 way sync. it's getting to the point where I've wasted way to many cycles trying to resolve this.

Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray
My Device: Blackberry Z10 and Blackberry Q10

Hi JAG-BB. I am afraid that I have not been following your issue.

But I use a POP e-mail account (indeed several such accounts) all of which were set up on my Z10 and are now set up on my Q10.

I have had no problems at all using the updated version (10.1.1.1.26) of the USB Outlook BB Link.

Both contacts and calendar continue to synch without a problem.

What issues are you having?
Contributor
JMBMichell
My Device: Z10

Where did to find the 10.1 version for download.  I have tried doing on the phone, on the internet etc etc and it says I have the latest version which clearly I don't as I can't do the two way sync without it!  BB tell me I need it to carry out certain proceedures but they won't let me have it.  Any clues? Many thanks

JSanders
Solutions: 5,978
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

JAG-BB_Z10 wrote:

tirgoman - did you have any luck with bblink and the calendar and contact sync on a POP account? I've reloaded to the latest link software, latest OS on my Z10 and still BBLINK says my OS does not support 2 way sync. it's getting to the point where I've wasted way to many cycles trying to resolve this.

Jag, if you're still on the Verizon issued 10.0 OS, you'll either need to upgrade the OS on your Z10, or wait for Verizon to push the upgrade.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray
My Device: Blackberry Z10 and Blackberry Q10

I went on to the BB LInk website and clicked on the link to download the BB Link software. As already reported there is nothing on the website to indicate how to download an upgrade to a previous version.

But by clicking on the link to download the BB Link software, as offered on the site, I discovered that the previous version of the BB Link had disappeared from my desktop and that the BB link now set up on my desktop had become the 10.1.1.1.26 version. This I believe is the latest version. It certainly works for me.
New Contributor
JAG-BB_Z10
My Device: blackberry 39d6, Z10

Thanks for the quick responses - I've downloaded all updates that are available to me. BBLINK is 1.1.1.26 and my OS is 10.0.9.422. I went through the process described in this thread to update my OS and went in again this AM and requested a software update - the above mentioned OS is what I received. Could this be an issue specific to Blackberry and Verizon?