Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
MPF94025
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Duplicate contacts on All Contacts view

If your Outlook file is (hopefully) still intact, you can erase all contacts on the device, then do a 1-way sync of contacts back  to the device.

Always good to keep a backup of the Outlook.pst file in the event of calamities such as this, eg the Outlook file shows duplicates. Hopefully not the case for you.

There are ways to delete all contacts within the device software. I went to BBRY world and purchase PIM Backup and Restore, have found that faster and more reliable than mecahnisms on device.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CRT1
My Carrier: Tigo

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

In my case the 10.1.xx.xx version has not being made available, so I decided to go with Deja App and the same thing, I have found quadruplicated contacts, duplicated tasks, calendars an notes,  it appears that is a BB Z-10 problem no mater how you sync it... 

I'm in the edge almost ready to throw it away and get a Galaxy S4, at least I know what I could expect, as what I expected from this BB was much better, but BB did it wrong by not including the sync option from the beginning, and has not being able to make it available for al telephone carriers quickly, and when it is or by other means it duplicates, triplicates or even quadruplicates contacts, calendars, and tasks. 

BB, Old BB's synced great, what did you do with the Z-10 to go this bad?  It wont help you in the long term, you are killing your customers and giving reasons to try other options... 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
MPF94025
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

@CRT1, I use AT&T, Z10, Outlook 2010, Windows Vista. The OS on my Z10 is 10.0.x

I found myself in the same situation, perhaps by luck have managed to work my way out of it. I don't know if the methods I used would work for you, but I posted a long "outline" of what I did, as best I remember, to address the issues of multiple contacts, etc., and got  2way USB sync to Outlook working.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/New-Blackberry-10-Sync-to-Outlook/m-p/2425459#...

Above all, make sure you have a backup of your Outlook.pst file in the event it gets corrupted during a sync.

One other point I learned in the process is that BB Link is much less forgiving about corrupt entries. For example, I went through all my contacts via Outlook (there's a way to look at the entries as if one were looking at a spreadsheet). You can see where email addresses may be listed under phone numbers, a person's name may be listed under company, etc. BB Link will halt the syc cycle at any point  it sees a corrupt file.

In the time since I wrote the original post, there are mechanisms for identifying the corrupt entry (interestingly, this is not a new problem. I have had problems doing direct sync over many years going back even to various devices, whether it was Now Up to Date on the Mac, Palm, , etc. Have not seen it on iOS. This is an issue for those whose sync's freeze at some point, likely not the issue for multiple contacts, but I wanted to "throw in" this additional piece of advice for anyone who might still be stuck at that point.

I hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mattjs
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm having some issues trying to sync my z10 contacts (stored on device) to outlook.  I have Link 1.1.1.32 and I've setup sync to my Outlook (2013), but whether I select 1 way sync (device to outlook), or 2 way sync, I always end up with "Sync Completed Successfully - NO RECORDS WERE TRANSFERED".  I have no contacts in outlook, I just want to have my z10 contacts exported/synced to my outlook address book.  Am I doing something wrong here?  I've looked through a few posts on this but I can't seem to get any contacts to transfer from my z10....

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,892
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

On the Link software have set the Configure settings in which you set the pc Outlook profile to which you want to sync?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
bercawd
My Device: playbook 16gb, blackberry z10
My Carrier: at&t

Update:

Yesterday, got the 10.1 update from AT&T for the Z10 and installed with no issues through BlackBerry link.

After install, removed from Link to use phone.  When I tried to reconnect via USB could not get Link to recognize the Z10.

Thought I would get smart and remove Link from my desktop and reinstall.  Found the AT&T version on Blackberry site (version was different than what I had) and reinstalled.  Still could not get Link to recognize the Z10 so I removed device to fight the battle today.

So this morning I connect the Z10 to Link via the USB and what do you know - it recognizes the Z10 - I did nothing except let it sit overnight.  Configured the sync for calendar and contacts after following the instructions to remove the old contacts/calendar pushed down to the Z10 prior to 10.1.  All went well, old removed and new synced to Z10 and are perfect.

Made some changes on both desktop and Z10 to test out further sync and now getting a "Sync Was Unsuccessful" error on Link.  Have tried disconnecting Z10 and reconnecting.  Have restarted Link.  Nothings seems to work.

Any thoughts????

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,892
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

bercawd wrote:

Made some changes on both desktop and Z10 to test out further sync and now getting a "Sync Was Unsuccessful" error on Link.  Have tried disconnecting Z10 and reconnecting.  Have restarted Link.  Nothings seems to work.

Any thoughts????

Does this look familiar?

Article ID: KB34453 BlackBerry Link displays the error: Sync was unsuccessful error – “CPreferencesManager:Configuration Value for /Preferences/Account_3_196610/DevicePin not set in TransConfig.xml for Translator RimBB”

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
bercawd

closed Link and re-opened.  reconnected z10 and all synced perfectly.  right now a happy camper!!  just waiting for sync on the notes piece but can I can live without for now.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
bercawd

might want to go into the device and clear the contacts and calendar stored. then do a sync from link. Link gives instructions on how to clear old contacts and calendar.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
andalex
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Thank you for all the suggestions.

My Outlook profile is fine, I don't have any duplicates there (and yes, I have a backup). I reviewed every single entry.

3 days ago did an upgrade to OS 10.1.0.4543 (clean install), so I started with a clean sheet. I transferred my Outlook contacts to the BBLink account and everything was fine - for about a day. Then the "GHOST" contacts appeared again, but only in ALL Contact view.  When I select my PC Contacts (the folders synced with Outlook), that is perfect.

I turned off all the other options in the Contacts app settings, so theoretically I should only see my BBLink contacts. There should be no difference between the list of contacts shown in ALL or in PC. Yet, when I select All (which is the default view) I see at least one, sometimes 2-3 duplicates of every single contact, but the duplicates only conatin the contact names, nothing else (that is why I call them ghost contacts).

I tried your suggestion in Homescreen / Setting / Accounts : Clear local contacts - NOTHING HAPPENED with my ghosts.

If there was a setting to make the PC folder the default view in the Contacts app, I would not care. Since I can select that view, this is not a huge problem, just very annoying, because nobody knows where the ghost contacts are stored and why they appear.

I am logged in to my LinkedIn account and I did not request the Z10 to add my LinkedIn contacts to my Z10 and merge them with my phone contacts. Thanks very much, great idea, but make it optional, please. I don't believe that LinkedIn is the source of the problem, because every single contact of mine is duplicated and I only have a few Linkedin contacts.

So, my feeling is that the Blackberry Link USB sync itself is fine, it is the Z10 that does something misterious. I do believe, that contact management in the Z10 is super-ambitious (to merge all contacts from the clouds, social networks, etc without generating duplicates and redundant contacts is impossible), overcomplicated but hopefully we'll get there soon.

Please use plain text.