Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook- Day 7

Hello cleafloor,

Thank you for your very detailed message that explains your personal experience. I would like to condense all that and try to explain, can you tell me if I have understood correctly?

Synchronization between the "Microsoft Outlook" desktop client and the cloud-base "Outlook.com" service:

• success for email
  • partial success for contacts & contacts lists (no more categories, but could be replaced by contact groups)
  • failure for tasks
  • no try for memos
  • partial success for calendars (no more colours for categories)

Synchronization between the Outlook.com and the BlackBerry Torch

• success for email
  • partial success for contacts (contacts are OK, but outlook.com groups did not work)
  • did not try for contacts lists
  • failure for calendar
  • failure for outlook.com tasks

Did I sum up everything correctly?

Now, my global comments:

• I do not know if Microsoft provides a way to synchronize tasks between outlook.com and the Outlook desktop client
  • the Z10 currently does not handle categories/group/lists for contacts and as far as I know this is not considered a bug (it works as designed by RIM)
  • the Z10 does not handle categories/groups for calendar events, and this is not considered a bug either
  • the Z10 currently does not handle task synchronization with any online tool with BlackBerry Remember. On the other hand you may find third party apps to manage tasks, but it will need to be able to synchronize with the outlook desktop client.
  • in BlackBerry 10, tasks and memos are merged in what is called BlackBerry Remember. You can add a due date, but no time.

In the end, I believe that:

• your main issue is not that BlackBerry Link does not synchronize with Outlook, it is that the new BlackBerry 10 OS does not handle categories/tasks/contacts lists. If you want to continue using the Z10, you will have to change the way these are handled.
  • the CompanionLink will only help you for the calendar (compared to your current outlook.com workaround).
  • given your requirements, I believe that you will not find a better solution than a BlackBerry 7 device (like your Torch). Android, iOS won't do better than your current outlook.com workaround, and WindowsPhone will have the same limitation as outlook.com .

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
BrockLtd
My Device: BB Z10

Update to Outlook.com sync : looks like it finally made it, the Send/Receive process is taking a rest, & I now have Calendar entries on my phone! I haven't had the time to compare & contrast the details with the desktop Outlook but, when I do, I will share if there's anything strange going on. I assume that all future updates will not be as challenging. Or at least not for the phone, though they might be for me! I believe I now have to update my Outlook.com calendar in desktop Outlook, rather than the original Outlook calendar if I want instant syncing. I am really tempted to stick with the original calendar & just copy it over periodically, before a longer absence from the office for example. Ultimately, I would like to eventually sync the full, prime calendar with the Z10, rather than this transitionary version.

I'm generally happy with it as a temporary workaround, I still love the phone & this is enough for me to keep it 'til the new Link release.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Xandrex wrote:

Now, my global comments:

• I do not know if Microsoft provides a way to synchronize tasks between outlook.com and the Outlook desktop client

No, Outlook.com does not sync tasks (nor memos) between outlook.com and the Outlook desktop client

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

lmsmes wrote:

Is their plan to be ultimately in the cloud, and we are all thinking that Outlook as it exists in the non-cloud today will continue as is?

I think that every IT company that has more than 10000 employees in 2013 is commited to become cloud-centered one way of the other. Because it is the only way to extract money on a regular basis to the consumer (one way of the other).

And I believe that the aim for Microsoft is to pump up outlook.com to be as good as the old Microsoft Outlook 2010 client.

If you have an access to Microsoft Outlook WebApp for Exchange, you will see where the "Outlook" concept is going.

There are features that are now brought to the Outlook WebApp before being brought to the Outlook client.

In a very near future, you will wake up one day and realize that your Outlook client is not compatible anymore with outlook.com / Outlook Web App, and not the other way around.

If you look in the past, it was the same when banks arrived. Do you prefer holding your money in your personal safe at home or stuffed in your pillow (= contacts on your personal computer, in your office), or do you prefer having your money in a bank account (= a money cloud)?

This requires you to trust your bank, and this is what the cloud is all about. Do you trust the cloud providers?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
hagissss
My Device: 9800

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

For  an absolute non-techy guy like me .I am just thoroughly scared off of buying the new Z10 after reading all this info. As I said before ,its a shame because I was really looking forward to this new and improved company and phone:smileysad:.

New Contributor
cleafloor
My Device: Torch 9800

Xandrex, thanks for summarizing my situation so concisely. You may be right, that the best solution for me is to stay with my Torch, and to not upgrade. Thanks.
New Contributor
cleafloor
My Device: Torch 9800

I wonder what percentage of the BB market in Canada would be affected by the concerns expressed in this forum. Would it be 5% or 10% or more? In my case, I work for a large organisation, but they do not provide me with a company BB so I bought my own. Many of my colleagues have done the same. And there are all of those small businesses that do not have Exchange Server. Kids who use their BBs for BBM may not care about Outlook, but small business people and professionals need Outlook or something like it. Are we being cut loose by RIM?
New Contributor
hagissss
My Device: 9800

cleafloor, I keep coming back to this form hoping Blackberry/Rim will respond to your question or just in general.

Regular Contributor
ExchangeVeteran
My Device: Bold9900, Z10

OMG, just give up then. 

There will always be a need for apps that run on the edge client. Thunderbird works just fine.  And MSFT has always treated the Office suite like a step child.

Just ask google why they give us apps to allow us to work when we are not connected to the matrix. 

This concept of losing divice centric computing and dbase retention capacity is a non starter.  More so in the US.  People like to control their own worlds... 

Why is the most important part of new home entertainment the creation of the "personal cloud?"  Uh where we hold our data on Western Digital 2 TB devices in our living room but we can access a song or two from our Z10s... (that was a joke) our iPhones....

Contributor
lmsmes
My Device: 9850

Cleafloor:  Exactly.   I am in a company of 50 employees,  40 are part-time people running around with various phones that don't sync to anything.  10 of are full-time manager-types.   We have two Blackberry users.   We are not using the server-based blackberry product.   Everyone else has IPhones and Androids who sync using ActiveSync.   The one Blackberry user is a young kid, and I don't know if she even has her work email setup on her phone.   The other is me with a 9850.   I have forced the IT guy to let me into my email using IMAP, and my calendar is only updated by invites I send myself or contacts that I choose to add to my phone.   (I could use Desktop Manager, but I don't want every contact that is work-related in my phone.)

I have another business at home on a standalone machine running Outlook.   I sync to this computer with Blackberry Desktop and like that I'm not transferring every work contact to this computer. 

So if I were Blackberry, who are they going to cater to?   Out of 50 employees, I am unique.   I have also had to desperately cling to my Outlook sync and forgo things like Mobile Deposit within the banking aps and 50 zillion other aps.

I have researched the Androids, IPhone and Windows phones and they are just like the Z10 relative to syncing.   The old Blackberries are the only ones on the market that the new Blackberry is competing with. 

If I had limited time, under huge pressure to get product out there,and wanted to reach the largest market, I would lop us off as well.