Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10

Re: New Blackberry 10 Sync to Outlook

[ Edited ]

Dear integraworks, my condolences. Please see my post above. I'd ask you to consider keeping track of what is reported in this thread to see if a workaround is available while also considering making your voice heard in the biz community.

While I wouldn't want BBRY to drop other issues that appeal to the masses, we need to make sure that BBRY and the biz community know that many in fact are negatively impacted by this problem.

To add one more bit of technical information, here's the following observation. Since I had noted duplicate contacts, and am still trying to get a two way sync mech going, I thought I'd go into the native Z10 contact manager and manually delete entries, ie start from scratch. I used the "select more" feature, and tagged 900 contacts. It is now a half hour later, and the "in process" wheel is still spinning.

I have selected "encrypt" data on the device, and I know even on a PC this can be a time consuming process, so I will see if I can make any headway with sync in an unencrypted mode (a long shot, but just trying to work the problem...)

So, regarding Z10 sync issues with 3rd party apps, an element of the dysfunction may be with the native contact manager itself. Was much easier in BB Desktop 7, could cancel entire list of contacts or wipe entire calendar, but don't know if that's possible with BB10. If anyone knows, please advise.

Addendum: it has now been 2 hours since I started deletion of 900 contacts by handpicking them, and the process is still active with the spinning wheel....   So, it's possible that at least as I've tried to deploy BB10 PC Outlook sync app, it just "time outs" leaving me with the duplicates, and the problem is with the native BB10 contact app.

Addendum 2: regarding deleting contacts, I gave up and restarted. Maybe a couple dozen contacts were deleted. So, I did the following. I deleted 5 contacts, took a few secons. Next, deleted 10 contacts, took a bit longer. Then I deleted 50 contacts, that took a few minutes. Then I tried to deleted 300 contacts: got the spinning wheel for about 15 minutes, then it appeared the process stopped: the 300 contacts were still present. A few minutes later, they were gone.

Addendum 3: I decrypted and worked on the next 300 contacts. Took about 15 minutes, seemed a bit faster, but could be my imagination as I wasn't sitting there with a stopwatch.

Next, picked and deleted 500 contacts. Took over half an hour.

Having done this, figured best to simply erase and start from scratch with remaining contacts and calendar items.

What a mess trying to sort through this.

Regular Contributor

Well, one bit of good news (shows how desperate we've become).

Through these threads I found a product called PIM Backup and Restore. It will delete contact and calendar entries selectively.

Amazingly, while the native BB10 contact app took something like a half hour or more to delete 500 contacts, this app took care of the last 1500 or so in about 5 minutes. It did so without deleting my LinkedIn contacts, a surprising plus.

It took about 10 minutes to delete 900 calendar entries very cleanly.

So, for what it's worth, anyone with mucked up calendar/contacts who want to start from scratch, can use this w/o wiping their device. The app was $1.99. Best $1.99 I've spent in a long time.

Contributor

There is good news.  I have a client who is a very highly placed executive at Blackberry.  I contacted him last night about this issue and he then contacted 'his people'.  There will be an update to the Bberry LINK software in the first week of June that will address the 2-way sync issue with MS Outlook.    Today I spoke with a sr. tech advisor at Bberry and he confirmed this news.  We then went to work on getting the LINK software to identify my iTunes music folder, no luck but they are aware of this issue as well and are working on a fix. 

It is nice to have contacts in high places and even nicer when they are responsive and eager to help.  The tech support department will be checking in with me tomorrow to confirm that these issues are being worked on and that we can all expect a fix in the near future.  

In the mean time, I am very much enjoying the vastly superior input interface and OS...  that iPhone was nothing more than a toy. 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

I like the Z10 and the Playbook a lot. We have anumber of them. 

I am anxious to get another Playbook with 4G. I would like to know if it's true BB is coming with a new model of Playbook this summer. Some dealers told me this. My question is if this is true. If not I will buy another of the present 4G model.   

Thanks! 

Jerry G.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 and Blackberry Q10

So true - the iPhone is indeed a toy, but a garbage phone!!

What great news! Let's hope that the folks at BBerry stick to their plan. June will indeed be a very good month (as well as the month of awareness!)
Contributor

That would be great integraworks, but I am dubious judging from past performance.  I would hope that they will fix the many bugs in the one-way USB sync software.  Contact photos aren't transferred.  After you re-set the contact list to "last name" the next time you turn on the Z10 the list reverts to a "first name" sort.  The wrong Outlook fields are mapped, which is why "PhD" appears as a last name.  And so on, and so on.  Where is quality control at BB?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

jerryg50 wrote:

I like the Z10 and the Playbook a lot. We have anumber of them. 

I am anxious to get another Playbook with 4G. I would like to know if it's true BB is coming with a new model of Playbook this summer. Some dealers told me this. My question is if this is true. If not I will buy another of the present 4G model.  

well, BlackBerry Live 2013 starts tomorrow. If you get to hear about a new BlackBerry tablet, then you'll get it before Christmas 2013. Otherwise, no.

as far as I can forecast things, the first thing will be BlackBerry 10 for the PlayBook, then the low budget R10 and its keyboard-less buddy, then 2014 will start.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Trusted Contributor

When I switched on my 2011 Playbook a couple of weeks ago, it immediately offered me the opportunity to download a free upgrade to the OS10 which I have done. So presumably any Playbook purchased now comes with the OS10?

Solutions: 6,072
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

PJCMoray wrote:
When I switched on my 2011 Playbook a couple of weeks ago, it immediately offered me the opportunity to download a free upgrade to the OS10 which I have done. So presumably any Playbook purchased now comes with the OS10?

Oh really? Can you post a screen shot of the About screen with the OS version showing? I'm curious.

And, isn't all this discussion of the Playbooks offtopic in this Outlook sync thread?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor

Yes - it's off topic, but I will try and post a screen shot of the "About" page, and then close off this topic. Give me a couple of hours.