Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
TechTug
My Device: Curve 9300

No Memos? No Voice Notes Recorder? No Mail Icon? No Password Keeper? OMG What have they done

As a tech and a part time musician these apps were my life.  Now they are gone?   Yes I can download MemoPad I have figured out that much.  What about transfering the data though????  759 memos..... It goes in to "Remember"  ?????    WHY???   Come on now RIM!!!!   I am a Kitchener native. BB headquarters is up the street.  I have supported you all these years.....     This could be the it for me and BB.  Sorry .....   you are supposed to make life simpler ......  Oh yeah .......    NO MAIL ICON????    YIKES!!!!     Use the HUB instead .....???   so now we have 3 swipes and a tap to open mail???  COME ON!!!!   Oh listen ..... !!  is that APPLE calling?   PS what is with the useless screen that comes up when my blackberry wakes up?  It tells me that I have messages but when I go to tap on the icons like any normal human being might be tempted to do they are DEAD.  OH LOOK another SWIPE!!!!!  My 10 day cooling off period is going to come in handy........    I have a sudden craving for an apple.........

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: No Memos? No Voice Notes Recorder? No Mail Icon? No Password Keeper? OMG What have they done

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

So, I cannot tell for sure amid all of that, but I think that you actually have the answers to all of your questions...please clarify if such is not the case.

I cannot tell how long you've had your Z10, but like any new device, it requires time for the wonderful capability of the human to adapt to kick it. However, it does require letting go of what was before concerning prior BB's...BB10 is a revolutionary change, not evolutionary. Hence, you must not expect things to be as they were before, or you set yourself up for tremendous disappointment. Rather, if you want to stick with it, you need to "embrace the change", for the only way to ever have what previously existed is to fall back to that, and suffer the eventual EOL that surely will come of pre-BB10 platforms.

I can tell you that, for almost 60 days, I had a Z10 and a Droid device running in parallel...and truly came to hate the Droid in that timeframe (where I was previously satisfied with it). Yes, BB10 is different from before -- but it's not necessarily "bad".

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor
elessar
My Device: Z30 | Z10 | Playbook

Re: No Memos? No Voice Notes Recorder? No Mail Icon? No Password Keeper? OMG What have they done

TechTug wrote:

As a tech and a part time musician these apps were my life.  Now they are gone?   Yes I can download MemoPad I have figured out that much.  What about transfering the data though????  759 memos..... It goes in to "Remember"  ?????    WHY???   Come on now RIM!!!!   I am a Kitchener native. BB headquarters is up the street.  I have supported you all these years.....     This could be the it for me and BB.  Sorry .....   you are supposed to make life simpler ......  Oh yeah .......    NO MAIL ICON????    YIKES!!!!     Use the HUB instead .....???   so now we have 3 swipes and a tap to open mail???  COME ON!!!!   Oh listen ..... !!  is that APPLE calling?   PS what is with the useless screen that comes up when my blackberry wakes up?  It tells me that I have messages but when I go to tap on the icons like any normal human being might be tempted to do they are DEAD.  OH LOOK another SWIPE!!!!!  My 10 day cooling off period is going to come in handy........    I have a sudden craving for an apple.........

I had similar qualms when I picked up my Z.  However... 

Having all my communications in the Hub is worth the extra 1 motion to get to it.  (I've ignored the lock screen, as that had to be passed on previous devices before getting to the email icon.)  Once I used it for a couple of days it became 2nd nature.

Voice recorder?  I'll give you that one.  It's a PITA without a dedicated icon.

Memos in Remember?  That's just tapping a different icon to get to it.  It still allows you to create memos.  But, you can now attach other files to that "memo", and file in folders.  Also, I love the way it integrates with Evernote!

Realistically, if you don't like it and aren't comfortable with adapting to the new functionality, then exchange it.

sdgardne

elessar wrote:

Actually, it's integrated into the Remember app (create a new item, and a button to attach a voice note appears)...which, if you think about it, gives you a much richer area to put extended information about the recorded voice note and thereby later be able to better recognize it for what it is.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor
elessar
My Device: Z30 | Z10 | Playbook

sdgardne wrote:

elessar wrote:

Actually, it's integrated into the Remember app (create a new item, and a button to attach a voice note appears)...which, if you think about it, gives you a much richer area to put extended information about the recorded voice note and thereby later be able to better recognize it for what it is.

I do realize that it's built into Remember -- I should have been more clear.  I almost allways have to use voice notes sponatneously.  It was on my 9900 convenience key.  I do understand that my needs will vary from other users and I will get use to the current location.  I've been leaving Remember in an active frame.

The benefits of my Z far outweigh a couple of minor inconveniences. 

TechTug
My Device: Curve 9300

sdgardne?  You must be employed by blackberry.  Have had this device now for over a month ...  not a happy camper!

Remember App????

I have 729 memos. Songs, client notes, etc ....   There is not search option.

Have you ever tried to scroll through 729 messages to get the the one that starts with "W".

What an incredible blunder on blackberry's part.

Next thing someone is going to tell me is to copy and paste.....    oh listen? ....   somebody already has!!

I even downloaded the Memo app. Went into my outlook to copy the litte msgs over to my sim card.

Then went in to file manager. and attempted to open one.......  "can not open".

This BB is "going over the side" any minute now....     I would do it now but my hand is sore from all the "swiping" that I have to do to get anything done on this ridiculous thing.  What were these people thinking???

My fiance just got a Q10 against my wishes ....   She cant get at her memos either....  did not restore for her. I have a backup of her BOLD but we cant retrieve the data from that to her new BB 10  un fricken believable!!!!!!

Have you tried to END CALL yet?   Short of punching my thumbs and fingers through the glass ....  There have even been cases were I had to pull the battery to end the call.....      I fear for the future of a once great success story  RIM?  why have you done this to the faithful ones????      

Contributor
Andrew4Life
My Device: Curve 8900 / Playbook

There is no search function in the remember app, but you can actually use the universal search on the main screen to search for stuff in the remember app.

(Bottom of the main screen with the phone, magnifying glass and camera button. Click on the magnifying glass and  type in what you want to search) This is not exactly a replacement for a search specifically in the remember app, but that is a work around for now.

If you want to end a call make sure you do a firm press instead of a quick tap. It might take a bit getting used to making sure you do a firm tap instead of a quick tap. This is done so you don't acidentally tap the end call button when you put the phone to your face.

As for accessing your email, It is a quick swipe up and to the left from the bottom bezel, from ANYWHERE. So I don't see how this is harder than having a dedicated icon that you might have to find in the app drawer or app grid on other phones.

New Developer
ScwB
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 16GB

What do you mean by three swipes and a tap? It's one quick motion from anywhere to get into your Hub. Boom, you're there. There are your messages. I much prefer that over going to a home screen then tapping little icons. What exactly are you doing to get to your mail? I feel like you're doing it wrong.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

TechTug wrote:

sdgardne?  You must be employed by blackberry.

You are not correct.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

TechTug is incorrect about many of his assumptions. Such as copying his memos over to his sim card. That's impossible. We're they copied over to his Media Card, they would still remain unopenable if not named with the correct .txt file type extension.

I don't know what "memo app" you downloaded. Do you know?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates