Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor II
scrannel
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247

Re: Outgoing email did not work, so I returned Z10

Yes, in fact I had the same issues with my last HTC and Motorola Android phones.  Had to use either K9 or Maildroid for them and there was no fix. 

Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

"The old OS5,6, 7 email worked but the BB programers broke it on the OS10"

Uh, no.

OS 5, 6, 7 had BIS actually taking your email off the server, reformatting it to their proprietary way of doing things, and then sending it to you.  This meant there was a copy made.  For this you paid a privilege fee, roughly $10 at most carriers, to have BIS in the middle.

The Z-10 talks directly to your email server.  Therefore the capabilities are what the underlying protocol and server support, but you don't pay that $10 privilege fee.

Of course you can pay someone $10 a month to make a local copy of your email box and then serve it to you "again."  What I like is that I can do that (and have) on my own infrastructure but I need pay nobody for it, where before I had no choice.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
New Contributor
Hucky
My Device: Z10

You are right, but is was fast, efficiant, reliable, compressed (important when travelling) and encrypted. For business I think it was and is worht it. Due to the compression and considering roaming it was actually even cheaper for me.

I could do that all myself, but I have to run my business and need efficient and reliable tools - what I got. So, let leave it. I regret (so far) and you enjoy. All the best.

Trusted Contributor
tickerguy

[ Edited ]

But I have fast (instant push), reliable (never fails), encrypted (SSL/TLS, both directions) and compressed (I have compression turned on in my SSL negotiation) now on the Z-10.  In other words I have what BB used to offer but it's 100% under my control (and I don't have to pay for BIS in the process.)  I am also not subject to the risk of BIS outages, because the infrastructure is mine and mine alone.

And it's actually more secure than the older platform as nobody else gets a copy of my email.  Sure, I don't believe BlackBerry would intentionally "lose" custody of it, but the fact of the matter is that the fewer the copies there are, especially unencrypted copies, the more secure it is.

Horses for courses; we all choose what works for us.

New Contributor
Hucky

May be I will pick your brain once to understand how to do the same. At this moment I still suffer from the POP3 problems and hope this will be solved with 10.1. and then I will think about your statement.

Contributor
saugdas

Installed K9 from App world - but it wouldnt work either for my official id or the rediffmail id.

My present software is 10.0.10.99

I guess I have to wait for the 10.1 - is that what you all feel will solve this email problem? Any idea when this is expected in SouthAfrica (Vodacom)?

Trusted Contributor
tickerguy

K9 does not depend on anything from the BB10 OS; talk to your email admin about what's wrong as it's not the phone.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have switched to Outlook.com as they allow Exchange Active Sync and all my issues went away.

pop/smtp is an old protocol and can be glitchy some times

IMAP is nicer but not robust as EAS if you want Push email and sync Calendar, contacts etc.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
saugdas

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys Thanks for all your support. I have now reached a point where setting up of my office email id thru the exchange Active sync gives me the foll mssg whicg is different from the earlier 'not responding' ones.

It reads : Service for account (my email id) is not available. Access should be available soon. [Error code 403]. Can any one pl tell me what this means? What must i do?

Needless to mention , my id is very much available which can be accessed thru browser / exchange server or my earlier blackberry bold.

Thanks

New Contributor
agj629
My Device: 9790

Hi. I have a question to BB RIM Tech people! We must know when the issue of sending company mails via pop3 or IMAP will be solved. Since I updated last sunday to new OS for Z10 in BB link I can no longer send mails just received. PLEASE HELP US TO SOLVE AS NO MUCH TIME CAN HOLD WITHOUT THIS SERVICE, we are BB fans but will be forced to move to other brands.  Please  come up with improved OS for us using Z10. or at least be kind in informing estimated time for improvment so we can decide to wait or not. thanks...