Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
Repo-Pilot
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

PIN messages Gone?

Have the "old" PIN messages, where you were able to create a subject line, been replaced by BBM chats (which are not the same thing)?

If not - how do you create one?

Thanks, Kevin

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: PIN messages Gone?

PIN messages are not currently available on BB10. Hopefully an update will add them back again.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
Repo-Pilot

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your response Bill.

No offense intended, but I had to laugh over what I read as "maybe they'll add it to the list".

From the looks of things on the forum, it's getting to be a pretty long list, and in the meantime the power users are either trying to operate with one hand tied behind their back or going back to their last BB until these oversights are addressed and resolved.

It makes me wonder about where RIM found their beta test group for this really important project. 

Thanks again and Cheers - Kevin

Forums Advisor III
drewread

A post on CrackBerry from someone with inside knowledge stated that PIN-PIN will be back in 10.1.XXX OS when it is released, so don't give up hope just yet. :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
Repo-Pilot

Thanks Drew.

I hope its sooner rather than later and also included is a fix to email sync so we can opt not to have the phone control our email accounts...

Cheers - Kev

Forums Advisor III
drewread

Unfortunately we will all be at the mercy of our Carriers to determine when we will get the updates. :smileyhappy:

Out of curiosity, what do you mean about the email accounts being controlled by the z10?

Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
Contributor
Repo-Pilot

Hi Drew -

The problem is that the Z10 wants to be the primary sync controller of all your installed email accounts. There is no "Delete on Phone only" option, as there was on all previous Blackberrys.

I have 5 email accounts that I monitor. I manage them in Outlook where I can use rules, multiple folders, etc in keeping it all organized. My phone is an email alert device only and will never be my primary email accounts synchronization controller.

Until these issues are resolved the Z10 is going back to ATT and I'll be using my trusty 9810 again. BTW - I absolutely love the Z10 but shortcomings such as email, PIN messages, and a horrible desktop "import data from a previous Blackberry" program (LINK) are all deal-killers for me.

Make sense?

Cheers - Kevin

Forums Advisor III
drewread

The z10 does not want to be the 'primary' anything. It is simply another email client.

Are you using MS ActiveSync or IMAP?

Using either MS ActiveSync or IMAP on all of your email clients will allow you to gain the synchronization that you want. They merely reflect what is residing on the server on all of the email clients, so that a change made on one is made on the others.

I use Outlook in the same manner and have rules to move things to folders, some are pulled from the server and stored locally in a PST file (things that I know I never need to read on a mobile device), others are foldered on the IMAP email server. All of these changes are simply reflected on the z10 (with P-IMAP usually moments after they are moved.) It works really well, in fact the only issue that I have is that I cannot unify the email folders within Outlook the same way that the BlackBerry Hub does for me, because of this I actually find myself doing more and more of my email reading and responding from the ZED than I do in Outlook (I also get frustrated daily with my full-size keyboard because it does not add a period when I hit space twice!) :smileywink:

It is a new workflow but the "delete on phone" can simply be replace by the "file messages" option on the z10. if you don't want the messages to show up in Hub turn off "Show Filed Messages" in the hub settings and file the messages into a folder called something like "Moved from mobile", it is a bit of a new workflow.. but once figured out it will start to save you time by not having to do all of that work again in Outlook.

BlackBerry has stated that they are going to revisit the "Delete on Phone" option, as it should not be doing the "hard deletes" that it is currently doing. I am not sure when this change will happen, but I personally hope that they simply change it so that when I delete an item on the Z10 it goes into the "trash" folder (or maybe another folder of the users chosing) on the server so that I can purge it or recover it as I desire at a later time... but only time will tell how that will all end up working.

The bottom line is that with the properly working server and a slightly new workflow you will be able to achieve exactly what you are trying to do. If you have any questions on the setup, feel free to ask.. it took me a bit of time to get mine setup correctly as well, but I am loving the way it works now.

Your other issues are all on the improvement list, PIN-PIN has been reported to be in the 10.1 upgrade, and 2-way sync via USB is currently being worked on (no ETA though) and there are other options available to get this sync working OTA currently.

Bottom line is that you need to be comfortable with your phone, so if you are going back to the 9810 until these show up or are changed.. then that's a good choice for you. But I really think that if you give the IMAP (or ActiveSync) solution a try then you will be happy with the way it works.

Contributor
Repo-Pilot

Thanks for that information!!

Problem is two of the accounts dont play in the IMAP sandbox and must be created as POP/STMP accounts. I couldn't find any sync options for these accounts during the create process nor do I see them in an after-the-fact edit attempt.

If there is a way to stop the sync with these accounts, I'll stay the course.

Thanks in advance - Kevin

Forums Advisor III
drewread

Kevin,

If you are stuck on an older POP server your best bet is to move to a hosting provider that can provide you with some more modern technology. Unfortunately POP does have some limitations, and reconciliation is the largest limitation.

Most decent hosting providers provide IMAP alongside of POP service. Are these business or personal accounts?