Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
Fuzzler
My Device: Blackberry Z10

POP3 and IMAP works the same?

I previously configured my email to use IMAP thinking that Z10 works like their previous model using BIS which cache the email received, but to my surprise it doesn't, when the email is remove from my inbox of webmail it will also remove the mail on Z10 device.

Then I remove the IMAP configuration and shift to POP3 which supposedly download email and let it stay in the device which is what happening on Android device. But when I removed the email from my webmail Inbox the Z10 device also remove the emails previously received.

So what's the difference on Z10 IMAP and POP3?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: POP3 and IMAP works the same?

POP and IMAP on the Z10 both use Active Sync technology, which simply "mirrors" the messages on your email sever. Delete one in either location and it is deleted in the other.

Using IMAP, you can "file" a message to another folder rather than deleting.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
billbuck0
My Device: Rotary Phone

There is no more push email, contacts, or calendar with BB10 except for Microsoft Exchange accounts. No push Gmail, no push Yahoo and yes, email is checked every 15 minutes by default!! BB10 couldn't function over the company’s existing network, so BB10 devices have to use a local mail client on the device itself as opposed to having the network handle the accounts, the push features, syncing, and so on. There is no more Blackberry Internet Service, it’s just data now like an iPhone or Android device.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

billbuck0, sorry most of what you've posted is not true. Push is available on Gmail & other IMAP servers where push is available from the IMAP server. You're correct that BIS is no longer used on #BlackBerry10

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
billbuck0

J Sanders, this was in this is in reference to the average user who uses BIS as we are all to familiar with.

What I'm saying is, BB10 is no different than Apple IOS or Google's Android when it comes to e-mail and security.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Well, it is different as far as security is concerned. But the OP wasn't questioning that.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
billbuck0

[ Edited ]

No, I have to dissagree with that.   Still falls inline with likes of jailbreaking ..ie Dingleberry/playbook  .Also, you're confusing security with privacy.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

billbuck0 wrote:

There is no more push email, contacts, or calendar with BB10 except for Microsoft Exchange accounts.

Complete misinformation. Sorry.

billbuck0 wrote:

No push Gmail, no push Yahoo and yes, email is checked every 15 minutes by default!!

Again, wrong.

As well as your misinformation on security being the same. Three strikes.

You're VERY welcome to opinions here, but that information above you're stating as fact, and is wrong.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
billbuck0

[ Edited ]

So your saying BB10 has the same push email and better security and privacy than BIS?   I don't think so!

Push email is what defined BB, and with out its just a mediocre phone with bad apps.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

billbuck0 wrote:

So your saying BB10 has the same push email and better security and privacy than BIS?   I don't think so!

No, I haven't said that, in no way.

Same push email as BIS? No.

Better security than BIS? No.

But those were not your comments above.

Z10 has push email? Yes.

Z10 has better security than iOS and Android? Yes.

These two statements below are incorrect and should be corrected for those reading this thread, not be misled:

billbuck0 wrote:

What I'm saying is, BB10 is no different than Apple IOS or Google's Android when it comes to e-mail and security.

billbuck0 wrote:

There is no more push email, contacts, or calendar with BB10 except for Microsoft Exchange accounts. No push Gmail, no push Yahoo and yes, email is checked every 15 minutes by default!! BB10 couldn't function over the company’s existing network, so BB10 devices have to use a local mail client on the device itself as opposed to having the network handle the accounts, the push features, syncing, and so on. There is no more Blackberry Internet Service, it’s just data now like an iPhone or Android device.

The only thing correct in those two quotes, is this "There is no more Blackberry Internet Service, it’s just data now like an iPhone or Android device."

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.