Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Paul_Timson2606
My Device: Z10

Personal exerience with the new Z10 - not good

Just a quick personal review of BB OS 10 and the Z10…

No doubting that there are some good features if you are a “social” user but as a business user there is a lot of functionality that has been dropped to the detriment of the phone and my ability to function efficiently... just wondering if my problems are shared by other users and if anyone has some work-arounds or advice to help me get back to full efficiency... if not this package has to go...

Examples of stuff that is really frustrating…

- no more Send Business Card function in Contacts and you can’t copy the phone number from View… you have to Edit the Contact then copy the number and then find the contact to whom you want to send it so you can put  a text message or email together to send the number… really poor

- email used to be automatically deleted from my BB Torch once I had downloaded from the server to my laptop… this doesn't happen anymore and I can't find a switch to make it so... which means every day I therefore have to manually delete all emails received on the Z10, and I average 100 plus emails per day...

- email is not copied to me (on my Torch I had it set up to do this automatically and I can't find a way to do this on the Z10) so unless I add myself onto every email I send, which is a pain, I don't get copied in

- BB Roaming not available anymore (which used to cost me £20/month with no download limits) and only 4 days into this overseas trip I have already received a notification that I have spent £35 on data download and that data download will stop at 50mb… I have not used the phone in any way other than I used to... I don't surf, just email... so this looks like it may be limiting… plus there is no notification of how much data I have used nor how much is left before I reach my limit... the notification only shows money spent... which is no help at all...

- No more speed dial buttons, so for those people I call most regularly I have to go to Contacts, then Search then Dial… again, really poor and wastes a lot of time… I even have to do this for Voicemail !

These is just a few experiences so far… there are other issues like the phone going landscape when it shouldn’t… and sometimes “hanging” when I then can’t use it unless I power down and start again…

Ok, two reasons I’m sharing all of this with you… first I want to “warn” other potential Z10 users of some of the flaws I've found… second, my business functionality has dropped significantly and I just don’t think I can live with this phone/package... so you may want to consider that before taking up the Z10…

I’m guessing the Q10 with a keyboard MAY be better (e.g. speed dial?) but if it uses the same OS perhaps not… certainly there is no guarantee and having spent a full 8 hours getting the Z10 "work" I don't want to take that chance...

So, when I return from this trip I’m going back an alternative BB phone on the older technology/tariff…

Really, really disappointed... BB OS 10 and Z10 combination just doesn't work for me...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mshanshal

Re: Personal exerience with the new Z10 - not good

I agree with the disappointment on the Z10 or the whole OS10 for that matter.  I can add to the list, one of the most important things for me which is that the Z10 or the new Blackberry Link does not sync contacts / notes / calendar with Outlook.  I tried Google sync but it keeps creating duplicates.  There is a third party software for a direct link - compnaionlink - but it is still to be approved by Blackberry World apparently.

By the way, there is a speed dial function on the Z10.  You can setup your speed dials from the call screen - there are three boxes at the top, once you click on one, you can then setup the speed dial.  You can also add speed dials from your contact list by selecting the menu on the contact and click on "favorite".  you can have up to 12 speed dials.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

Hi Paul,

• On the sending a contacts details to someone else, if you open the contact entry of the person you are sending and hit the 3 dots in the bottom left you have the option to share there - the details are sent as a VCF. 
  • You can tap and hold the date seperator and choose to delete all prior emails rather the manually deleting each one. 
  • Copying yourself - I've just setup a spare GMAIL account as a pop and a sent email also seems to have been copied to my gmail account as well. This could just be a gmail account setup though
  • Roaming - this is something your carrier sets rather than Blackberry. 
  • Speed Dial- from the phone app, on the calls page I have speed dials to Voicemail and I can set a further two contacts at the top of the screen. You can also press and hold a recently dialled number and it will be added to the speed dial list at the top (you can have up to 8+ voicemail). For some reason the Add To Speed Dial option when you press and hold a contact in the Contacts view does not work. 
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Paul_Timson2606

Thanks for you input Guys... really appreciate this and it will help short term with some of the "problems" I've been experiencing... I have been a BB user forever and have resisted the move to iPhone/Android for so long I just hate that there are so many disappointments with this new release of OS and phone... I am seriously wondering if my (our) loyalty to RIM is well founded... to be honest I doubt it... but I do appreiate your input... thanks...

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

Paul_Timson2606 wrote:

Just a quick personal review of BB OS 10 and the Z10…

- email used to be automatically deleted from my BB Torch once I had downloaded from the server to my laptop… this doesn't happen anymore and I can't find a switch to make it so... which means every day I therefore have to manually delete all emails received on the Z10, and I average 100 plus emails per day...

The only way for this to work would be for you to use an IMAP/active sync account on your Blackberry (which will sync directly with the current contents of your email box) and a POP account on your laptop.

The POP account would need to be set to delete emails once they are downloaded to the laptop, which would remove them from the mailbox and then the Blackberry would then have them removed automatically once the changes are pushed to the device.

This will work.

- BB Roaming not available anymore (which used to cost me £20/month with no download limits) and only 4 days into this overseas trip I have already received a notification that I have spent £35 on data download and that data download will stop at 50mb… I have not used the phone in any way other than I used to... I don't surf, just email... so this looks like it may be limiting… plus there is no notification of how much data I have used nor how much is left before I reach my limit... the notification only shows money spent... which is no help at all...

Roaming plans are sold by your Carrier, not Blackberry, so before you go away you should call your Carrier to sign up for a Roaming package. Blackberry has absolutely no control over what you are being billed for your mobile phone useage. :smileyhappy:

These is just a few experiences so far… there are other issues like the phone going landscape when it shouldn’t… and sometimes “hanging” when I then can’t use it unless I power down and start again…

Ok, two reasons I’m sharing all of this with you… first I want to “warn” other potential Z10 users of some of the flaws I've found… second, my business functionality has dropped significantly and I just don’t think I can live with this phone/package... so you may want to consider that before taking up the Z10…

I’m guessing the Q10 with a keyboard MAY be better (e.g. speed dial?) but if it uses the same OS perhaps not… certainly there is no guarantee and having spent a full 8 hours getting the Z10 "work" I don't want to take that chance...

So, when I return from this trip I’m going back an alternative BB phone on the older technology/tariff…

Really, really disappointed... BB OS 10 and Z10 combination just doesn't work for me...

Most of your other questions / issues have been answered already, and most with simple solutions to your problems. I personally do NOT work for Blackberry, but am only an avid user of them and have been since the 850.

This is a completely new OS and to not expect some sort of learning curve and maybe a few issues that need to be ironed out is pretty unreasonable. Personally I am LOVING the Z10.. and I think they have done a great job of releasing a new OS that is very functional for v1[0].0.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see what is fixed in v1[0].1 but I think that compared to the PlayBook fiasco. this OS is pretty schaweet! :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Paul_Timson2606

Thanks Drewread.. some good input here re the POP account, which I do use and maybe can fix now you've offered advice... I'm a user of software and not a "techie" so don't always get things right !

Re the carrier, of course I'm aware that it is they that charge not BB but it is RIM that has taken away the secure and cheap roaming that they had as part of their standard offering and the carrier is now charging much more than I had to pay before (BTW I hit my 50mb limit last night which the carrier assured me would be enough when i called them just before I left for this trip and I have now had to pay another £65 to get 200mb so i can survive until i get home... so that' £100 for this month whne it used to be £20 for unlimited download)

Thanks again to you all... still not convinced this is the right move from RIM...

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

It might be worth looking at alternative carriers when you are able to if you travel a lot - I believe Orange do a monthly roaming bundle for 30 megabytes a day - £15 for 30 days in Europe and £30 in other areas I believe. Vodafone do similar deals. Another option may be to get your phone unlocked and use a local SIM when travelling - as we no longer have BIS there are no more fun and games to use a different SIM when you like
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Paul_Timson2606

BTW mshanshal, because of the lack of a direct link with Outlook, I bought a copy of companionlink and set up a gmail account and have managed to get my Outlook diary synched to the Z10... I just hate the fact that

a) i had to buy software 

b) that i had to set up gmail and

c) my Calendar and contacts are now out there to be heacked when before they were secure on my laptop and phone...

And, whilst I have three years of history in Outlook, all of which went accross to the Gmail calendar, only the most recent 5 months have synched to the Z10...

So much disappointment in this move to BB OS10...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Paul_Timson2606

Thanks jamead1981...  I do travel a lot so I'll check out alternative carriers when I get back to the UK...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
almudhaf
My Device: Blackberry z10 - OS 10

i totally agree with drewread. i believe the BB OS 10 is by far the most advanced full touch screen OS for Emails, searching content, and Multi-tasking (no other OS gives that quick switch between active applications like BB 10). I am pretty sure bug fixing and updates will come soon. it is always hard for the early adopters of any new technology anyway.

Please use plain text.