Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
BrockLtd
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Please Educate me on Contacts (Add, Delete, etc.)

So I've lived through the worst of the soap opera that was BB10 without Outlook sync! Soon as the new rev of BB Link was released, I deleted that awful Outlook.com account from my phone. If you've got a big database, beware: syncing between Outlook.com & my desktop Outlook was limited to 6500 contacts, I've got over 7000! I then eagerly rushed to delete the Outlook.com account from my desktop Outlook & I'm back to a single data set, calendar, etc. Phew!

Once that account was gone from my phone, all the contacts disappeared & the new desktop Outlook import function brough my current desktop Outlook contacts in, no problem. Though I did have to wait several hours 'til the full list was populated. Now that I'm studying it, of course, I realised that my desktop Outlook database was a little untidy & I set about doing some housekeeping. Now I want to clear all my contacts off the phone again & start all over again with a fresh, clean import. Phoned Telus for support on how to mass delete contacts & a factory reset seems to be the only answer. This is now in progress but the whole exercise has me wanting to learn a little more so that I'm better positioned to guide the rest of our users when they make the switch to BB10 phones.

Questions

1.  What is going on that a simple data set takes so long to populate? It's not an issue, I'm just curious about how data manipulation can run that slowly on a modern piece of electronics!
  2.  I had several hundred blank contacts that appeared after the Outlook import. These had to be manually selected & deleted, but where did they come from? And I did check my desktop Outlook to make sure they didn't come from there.
  3.  Once the old Outlook.com account was deleted from my phone, the corresponding contacts vanished over a short period of time but are they really gone or do I need to do some data housekeeping & recovered some memory? (I know the factory reset cleared them in my case)
  4.  Why is there no mass delete function so I can avoid the factory reset? While I acknowledge some of the dinosaur nature of wanting the USB desktop sync capability in the first place, there does seem to be great support for that in the BB community.
  5.  And lastly, where are those outlook contacts that I've imported hiding? I've got all the other  contacts nailed down by email account, or on the SIM card, but all the imports are invisibly hiding in the Hub, not tied to a specific account.

Market Differentiation?

Given Item 4 above, it would be nice to make it even more powerful, by having some mass selection functionality. Don't know if it makes more sense on the phone or within BB Link software. Please BB, feed the dinosaurs, there's lots of us & we're very loyal users! The other phone providers have chosen the IMAP or active exchange route only but a lot of small business users like the simplicty of the old fashioned "manual" methods. If I've got a BB10 phone, you just know that my wife & kids are going to have one, & I'm encouraging friends & relatives to go BB too.

For that matter, Outlook isn't exactly ideal either, & they're cloud focused now, maybe a BB solution for email, contacts, calendar & tasks would be nice! Actually, I think I'd be less concerned about a BB Cloud solution than some others out there today!

Okay, now I'm really degressing so I'll shut up! Would appreciate any insight on any of the above questions.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,906
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Please Educate me on Contacts (Add, Delete, etc.)

I think the long delay in those appearing, from my use and understanding is that the contacts are "linking" and searching for other related contacts in other accounts, used in emails and calendar events, twitter and FaceBook. That process just takes a while.

The black contacts might have been simply those contacts "populating".

I don't know the answer to any of the 'why' questions, those are normally pretty hard to get answers to from RIM...

I agree that a mass delete and other options are needed. I suspect some of that coming with fugure upgrades.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
BrockLtd
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hi JS, thanks for the insight on the slow population, I forgot that everything in the e-universe is trying to connect now, that's a better explanation than I was coming up with myself.

The blank contacts didn't seem to be awaiting population though. I waited 'til the next day, phone on all night & they were still the same way. They were deletable & that's what I finally did. Since my last post, the factory reset finished & I re-imported the newly tidied Outlook contacts again & the result was just beautiful. No empty contacts (to start with!), the address book filled up much more quickly than last time (still just under 6000 contacts) & everything was just dandy. Next day however, I had almost 200 blank records reappear so I've deleted them again. Still no idea why this is happening. I also had about 20 contact names (first & last) inside a set of single quote marks, with no pic & no data attached. Deleted them too. The only thing I've still got to check is LinkedIn, maybe that's the source. The rest is great though & this will work just fine 'til the other half of the bi-drectional sync feature comes back.

If anyone has experienced anything like this using the new Outlook import function, I'd like to hear what happened & if you found any reasons or resolutions.

Must say that the factory reset probably wasn't the worst thing that could have happened, I totally changed my mind on the app icon layout, compared to what I'd previously set up!!!

JS - I guessed that there probably would be no ready answers to my "Why" questions but I'm hoping there's a BB techie sofware whiz, with a marketing sieve, that looks thru all these posts & catches some of these requests! If there's a better place to add to the BB wish list that you know of, please point me, I'd love to dump stuff like that in there. Pity BB doesn't have an official wish list page, where everyone with a BB ID can request an item be added & that we could all post a Yay or Nay vote to anything on the list that interests them.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,906
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

BrockLtd wrote:

If there's a better place to add to the BB wish list that you know of, please point me, I'd love to dump stuff like that in there.

Post here: 

While it is no way official, it is at least ONE place in which RIM developers "might" look and review.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.