Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: NetCom

Predictive text in Norwegian

Just bought my first BlackBerry, a z10, and I love it. Finally a phone that (most of the time) think like I do.

One problem, though...

ALL my technical devices are set up wit English as main language. My z10 also.

But being Norwegian, living in Norway etc, I do prefer to have Norwegian keyboards.

With my z10 set up with English menus, the phone automatically assumes I will be writing on an English keyboard.

Ok, no big problem, I set input languages.
English with querty_nb and Norwegian with querty_nb, Now, I have my Norwegian keyboard...

The real problem:

All predictive text is in English. No Norwegian. At all.
This is either because there is no Norwegian dictionaries present,

or

because the "autodetect language" does not work.

I have tried setting "Norwegian" as deault language, but.... there seems to be a "make default"-button at the bottom of the "layouts"-page... but nothing happens (well, nothing seems to be happening) when I press it.

I have probably missed some simple step here, and will feel quite stupid when it is explained to me,

but please, how do I make my new (fantastic) phone have

- English menus etc

- English setup/programs etc

- Norwegian input/keyboard

- Norwegian predictive text

Regards,

jengeno 

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Predictive text in Norwegian

Hey jengeno,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

What version of BlackBerry 10 software are you currently running?  Go to Settings>About to find this information.  If you change your language to Norwegian and then restart the BlackBerry Z10.  Try to use the keyboard and predictive text and let me know if it is still English.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Software 10.1.0.4181

Predictive text works if I change language to Norwegian (Display language) (even without a restart).
And with ONLY Norwegian text as an option, everything works as I want it to.

And I may have found what is actually my problem.
With English as display language and Norwegian as "second text language" and the "detect language" switched OFF, most of the words suggested by the predictive text are English.
With the "detect language" switched ON, a lot of the suggested words are STILL English. (It seems like the "detection" work "word by word" instead of "message by message" (Why would I (or anyone) want to switch language in the middle of a message?))

So, the problem is not as "huge" as I believed at first, as I am getting SOME help from the Norwegian dictionary (a dictionary I guess is not quite as large as the English one, as a lot of words do not appear as "predictions").

Any ideas as to how I can get "Norwegian only" predictions?
- set Norwegian as default text language? (there seems to be an option, but nothing happens when I press the button, I think)
- remove English as text-language? (when choosing English as display-language, English as text-language is pre-selected and not possible to unselect). Requires some sort of hack?
- overwrite the English dictionary with a Norwegian dictionary? (another sort of hack that would work, but I would like to have the option to USE the English dictionary. I do not often send English Sms'es, but when I do...)
- other?

(Sorry if my English is lacking in quality here, but exited Norwegians loose a lot of their language abilities.)

Regards
jengeno
-

New Contributor

A friend of mine told me I should EXPECT this, as BlackBerry's "security focus" would give me only three options:
- Use Norwegian setup, and use predictive text
- Use English setup, and forget ALL about using predictive text for Norwegian
- Try to get someone to BUY the z10, and buy a Samsung (where this problem has been solved a long time ago)

Is he right?
New Contributor

Problem gone.

Thanks for trying to help.