Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizion

Re: Problem sending emails on SMTP Port 25 with Z10

I am using Network Solutions to host my email and cannot get ANY outgoing mail. Don't tell me this is not a Blackberry problem. Their phones should be configured to handle this issue. No one at the local Verizon store in Palm Beach Gardens, FL has a clue. They have tried to contact BB support but have not gotten an answer. I'm sorry but a week after release, this is no longer acceptable.

I have tried ports 25, 2525, and 587. I have changed the STMP heading from stmp.XXXX.com to mail.XXXX.com to no avail. I have tried to switch from POP to IMAP to no avail.

Someone please come up with an answer.

Super Contributor
My Carrier: AT&T

I was having the same problem and it is a Z10 issue! Don't tell me any **bleep** about how the world is changing when other phones and devices work just fine with port 25. The world does not revolve around the Z10!

After two days BB support tinkered and got it working using port 993 and 587 and fiddling with the encryption. Tinkering is not a fix and not owning up to this problem is not a fix either!
New Contributor
My Carrier: Verizion

Please tell me what tinkering you did. I have not been able to send any emails from my main account. I wish there was an option to reply from another account. That would at least be a work around.

Super Contributor

The tinkering was trying all the different ports from my provider and all the different encryptions until we found one that worked.
Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Look I can send and receive emails on my ISP account as well as others so don't go blaming BlackBerry because your ISP does not keep up with the future.
Super Contributor

WatchStops wrote:
Look I can send and receive emails on my ISP account as well as others so don't go blaming BlackBerry because your ISP does not keep up with the future.

you don't forget about the past to keep up with the future.  if you don't have anything constructive to say, then go away. this is a help forum if you hadn't noticed and you're of no help.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

The Z-10 SMTP client is absolutely in violation of the applicable Internet RFCs -- period.  I've instrumented it and tested, and that's a fact.  Blackberry needs to fix this PRONTO, despite the fact that my server (and many others) are capable of handling what it emits.

Not all are and the problem is Blackberry's, not the server's.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Same Problem here, on Tmobile USA and 1and 1

New Contributor
My Carrier: Airtel

Hi,

You are correct. I moved my portal to another server and I am able to receive and send emails. In send emails: I can only compose new emails but if I try to reply or forward the received email, it won't go.

I think I made a big mistake buying Z10 as its simply waste of time and money sorting all its differnet problems. My contacts gets double, some of them have tripled. Sometimes in the Phonebook I cannot see any contact. 

Blackberry!!! there's lots of complaints coming up and its better you get these sorted before you loose some of your die hard users.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Well I will give a HUGE Bronx cheer to any server that actually TRASHES email that doesn't have CRs in the message body, and apparently some do.  My best guess on that is the fact that the RFCs specify a maximum line length (and a suggested one that is 78 characters) and some server implementations puke on what they think are "long lines" that have no CRs in them (and thus are all one line), running off the end of a buffer and blowing up.

In this day and age unchecked buffer use is inexcusable, no matter who is doing it or why, because it's a severe security risk (buffer overflow attacks are one of the primary ways that systems get penetrated), especially for processes that run with any sort of privilege -- and many if not most mail transports do.

Nonetheless Blackberry has some fixing to do here, and they need to get on this.  That the device got out into the wild without this being caught and corrected is a bit concerning; Dev Alpha was available for quite some time, and I'm more than a bit surprised that nobody in the development community caught this problem and reported it.

Blackberry also needs to consider setting up a formal portal for customers to report bugs separate from carrier interaction, and have someone sift those internally.  There will be LOTS of duplicates and some that will prove up to be someone's preference instead of an actual bug, but IMHO this is something that none of the other phone manufacturers do, and something that the company can do at low cost that will materially improve user experience.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!