Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

alexhtmedia
My Device: Z10 - STL100-2

Problem with all sensors.

Hello,

I have a Z10 - STL100-2, OS version 10.1.0.4543, Build 550083.

My problem with it is none of my sensors are working. I refer to accelerometer, magnetometer, orientation, gyroscope, light, promixity, gravity, linear acceleration and the rotation vector.

The phone is new and it hasnt suffered any shock.

I belive that there is a software problem. But i factory reset it, i pulled out the battery, even for a whole night. I even pulled out the sim. The problem is still there.

Then only smart function is that the GPS is working. And also, internet, phone, sms, email, browser, etc.

But all the cool functions, involving those sensors are dead.

I'm not sure what else can be done in this case ...

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Problem with all sensors.

[ Edited ]

Have you reported this to your carrier or taken it to a store?  A tech will have to check the hardware.

My Device: Z10 - STL100-2

I just bought it, but from an unofficial source.

I was hoping not to be something hardware ...

Looks like i'll have to send it into service ...

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359

I understand.  Maybe an authorized repair shop can take a look too.

My Device: Not Specified

If you are comfortable with sideloading, you can test all your sensors with this Android to bar converted app:

Android sensor app

I suggest the Chrome plugin for sideloading. It is the easiest way to do it. It even works on Linux.

I suspect alll your sensors are just fine and the OS has some issue. When you run the app, the blackberry doesn't have a temperature sensor. [It does have one in the battery, but the Android app doesn't use it.]

Incidentally, Blackberry should write a sensor test suite that is native. It is a bad idea to encourage 3rd parties to write such apps since they can be a vector for spyware. Especially one that uses the microphone or GPS.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359

I'm not a fan of sideloading but here are the steps to do it using Chrome.

http://crackberry.com/bb10-app-manager-chrome-extension-gets-update-still-easiest-way-sideload

Another thing to try:  Wipe the Z10 and start over.  With that unofficial source, who knows what was done.

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2013/02/security-wipe-blackberry-z10/

You can also detect the proximity sensor by using a camera on another cell phone. That is, the camera on a phone can detect infrared from the proximity sensor on the Z10. This requires no app, but is doesn't test the sensor. All you can see that the sensor is activated when making a call.

If we could get BlackBerry interested in this problem, I suspect a software patch.

Regarding the other sensors on the phone, the accelerometer can be detected just by rotating the phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gariac

There is a different Android program that was converted to bar and is in Blackberry World. Search for Berry Tester.

It isn't as slick, but it works.

There is a similar thread on Crackberry.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-f254/big-problem-all-sensors-z10-828857/

Could be the same person.

Please use plain text.