Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
michi79
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: o2

Re: Protocol layer was unable to send a message

I have the same problem with my gmx.de accounts not sending mail, only receiving.  My non gmx accounts work fine.

I get the error message; Protocol layer was unable to send a message, account gmx, folder outbox.

I've spoken to my provider, o2 (a Guru on live chat) who suggested I take it to an o2 store as he couldn't help. I haven't done that yet.

Also contacted gmx, and am awaiting their reply. will report back with any news.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hi michi79,

your issue is detailed in the first link in message 2 of this discussion.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
michi79

Hi Xandrex,

My error message was similer but not the same. It does not say  "Unable to access OUTBOX".  It says; folder outbox, account gmx

Also short text emails are affected also. It's only affecting my 2 gmx.de accounts. Others work fine.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

hello michi79,

thank you for your feedback. At this point I am unable to help you further.

What I advise you, is contact your O2 hotline (by phone, not in a shop) and explain them. Once they acknowledge that they cannot help you, demand to have your issue escalated to the BlackBerry Level 2 support. You will then be contacted by a BlackBerry employee, who will work with you to fetch technical logs. This will help BlackBerry understand what the issue is. Once they do, they will publish a KB article, which will officially acknowledge this behavior. And then maybe they will fix it soon.

Good luck.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
michi79

Hi Xandrex,

Thanks for the advice. I will try that tonight and keep you updated on the progress.

Michaela

Please use plain text.
Visitor
powerhousebc
My Carrier: Rogers

I am on Rogers, I have Telus email and I have always had issues sending email (when it works) but that issue is not limited to the BBZ10 I have as it also exists whenever I roam.

On the Z10 I have set up a gmail account and the only issue I have now is "lag time" often up to six hours but gmail seems to outperform Telus always.

I have tested gmail to gmail, gmail to telus and no issues but telus to telus and telus to gmail have issues, (usually the send indicator followed by the the clock followed by the red stop sign.

I pre- ordered my Z10 and was received it 4 days after the launch and email both POP and IMAP have never worked clean with Rogers/Telus and is only marginally better with gmail. I may dump the Rogers go to a smaller carrier, dump Telus for the NEt and go elsewhere and use gmail or equal that is internet based not carrier based if they don't quite with the **bleep** and get together and fix it.

I am a BB fan and I am tired of hearing that Android and IPhone work but mine doesn't!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
malbers
My Device: Not Specified

I had the 10.0.xxx OS version on the Z10 device and I was able to answer emails with or without attachments with no problems.  Once I upgraded to 10.1.0.273 it gives the "Protocol layer was unable to send a message" on every email I reply or send. 

The message only appears on my corporate email address (Managed with Exchange 2003 Server).  It does not appear on emails sent using GMAIL or Hotmail.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

hello malbers,

for the issue on your corporate email address, ask your company IT admins about it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
karmajinx
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telstra

I had the same problem with my Q10 and I solved it by changing the outgoing SMTP server to my mobile phone provider's smtp address (eg. "mail.bigpond.com" for anyone on Telstra in Australia)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
malbers
My Device: Not Specified

I already did.  They tell me that the only thing that changed was de BB IOS.  The new IOS probably did not considered old Exchange Server versions...

Please use plain text.