Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
sagar_doddamani
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Push Email on BB10 / Z10

I was very excited about launch of BB10 and Z10 device and was looking forward buying it whenever it is available in India. But just got some news on internet stating that BB10 will not need BIS hence no push emails. I am not worried about specifically GMAIL or Yahoo or Outlook/Hotmail but in general all type of email services and push notifications. Upto OS 7 I never had to worry about Push Email. I never bothered to check if my company email service provider has push facility, BIS managed that all for me.

If BB10 is not offering this service anymore then there is no point in buying Z10 or any other OS10 product, in fact I am thinking leaving BB forever. I really hate that auto retrival in 15 minutes or refresh. I would prefer to go to iPhone or Android if this feature is not there.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? I am really upset since I read about it.

Thanks in advance....

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: Push Email on BB10 / Z10

Gmail supports "Push-IMAP, i assume Yahoo would as well.Outlook and Hotmail both support the ActiveSync protocol. 

As for your work email, most would offer ActiveSync if using Exchange which is push email. 

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

lotus notes has traveller which is an active sync connector

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

No Sleep Till BlackBerry 10, A BlackBerry Song by Lil E Click here to listen

See me at BlackBerry Fans Get Hands-On BlackBerry 10 Demo

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sagar_doddamani
My Carrier: Airtel

I was kinda dissapoointed when heard about no BIS with BB10. But now I think it is still doable. Also there are tons of new features in BB10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKHH5H295E0

This video convinced me again for BB10, looking forward to buy Z10 as soon as it is available in India.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have gmail Nd work email with Exchange Active Sync and they work well

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ

Please use plain text.
Developer
br14

My carrier just told my there is no BIS email for Z10.

I'm going to have to revert back to my 9900 and decide whether I should stick with BlackBerry now they've taken away my primary reason for having a BlackBerry.

It's a ridiculous decision whatever the rationale.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope

you can still use EAS, mine has been doing well with battery life with 2 accounts and going to add my 3rd now

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Z10disappointed
My Carrier: Telcel

Just DON'T BUY IT, I regret I changed my old 9900 for the new Z10, email push was the only reason why I was loyal to BB. For my business getting emails instantly, as I used to with the old BB, is crucial. None of the new features, believe me, none of them matter if BB is no longer king of emails.

Too bad I got it in Mexico and can't return this useless phone...

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
ukmight

I dont know from where this thing of Z10 not supporting push is coming from. BB10 definitely supports push. The only thing gone is BIS. Push and BIS are totally different things

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitter: @ukmight
1. Click on the " Like " button if you find anything helpful posted.

2. If any of the replies in your post has resolved your problem, mark the reply(ies) as " Solution ", so that others can readily view the solution instead of creating another redundant post.
Please use plain text.
Developer
br14

"BB10 definitely supports push"

Yes it does.

However, what has changed is that BIS has gone for most of us, and that includes (apparently) BES push email for smaller BlackBerry enterprise clients. In other words, instead of getting email the instant it arrived at a support corporate mail server, you're left waiting for the mail to sync. 

Shouldn't be a major problem with ActiveSync - which is pretty quick - so Gmail and Hotmail are ok. But I'm not sure how effective that is for internal mail servers. 

My mail server isn't recognized by my Z10's no matter how I mess with it. I'm left having to forward business mail to Gmail - which is not satisfactory. I might as well have Android or iPhone.

The removal of BIS was a collosal change and makes BlackBerry just another phone. It is no longer the king of email.

So far I've stuck with BlackBerry, but apart from BBM there really is no reason to anymore. I can't imagine how the strategic decision making around this choice worked, but in my opinion it was a mistake. BIS should have at least have been a choice even if not switched on by default.

Please use plain text.