Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
JustWondering
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Putting a Z10 on mute

How do I put the Z10 on mute quickly prior to a meeting or during a meeting.  The iPhone has a special button on the side that you can quickly slide down to mute.  I don't see such a button on the Z10 and it seems that the only way is to go to settings everytime.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Contributor
brock-n

Re: Putting a Z10 on mute

Try the volume control button on the side... set it to zero, then push it again... that works on mine (even when I don't want it to... ;-)  )

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dmbenez10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Yes...just keep pressing the lower volume key until it goes to MUTE...
I found this handy while I was driving and emails started coming in setting off my KoKoMo music alert with clients in car...just quickly tapped the sound buttons and it stopped...then later pushed the lower volume key all the way down and it muted...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JustWondering

Hi brock-n.

Yes I suppose that is a solution but I am sure that they have thought of this.  I was just looking in the manual and it seems that the middle button between the two volume toggles is a mute button.  I think you need to hold it in for 2 seconds.  I was wondering if you can try it out.  Unfortunately I am having second thoughts about my Z10 since I have been a Mac user for years and some of my contacts and calendars are not coming in as I would have liked.  I have packaged my Z10 for return (since I have a limited time to do so and wiped it clean).

Could you try the suggestion above and let me know if it works.  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dmbenez10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

it does work...
lowers volume.. keep pressing and
then shows sound off.. keep pressing and
then it shows ringer off... you get a vibration while this is happening (when ringer is muted)
to turn on..just tap Higher volume key..vibrates as well to let you know it's back on...
I tried calling my Z10 with the RINGER MUTED using the above.
and the phone just lit up a screen...no sound...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
brock-n

The middle button brings up voice control on my device, but I suspect there would be a setting somewhere to control what button does what.  However, I find the 'down volume' button to be more logical.  Push and hold to go to zero, then push once more to mute.  That way you won't find yourself accidentally muting and missing alerts.  I was having that problem with the Otterbox Defender, trying to get the phone in and out of the holster and hitting the volume button too many times.  Returned that box and now am much happier.  As well, you'd need a way to turn it back on again... 'up volume' does that for me and is also a logical method.

If you're having issues with contacts etc., I suggest you try asking that question directly (if you haven't already).  I've been very happy with how my information came over.  I think I saw a comment somewhere about importing your data to gmail, then pulling it to the phone... that might be an option.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JustWondering

Thank you brock-n and dmbenez10 for your quick responses and suggestions.  I have closed this post.

Brock-n, as you suggested, I have raised a new post for porting over my Mac contacts.  I would really like to keep my z10.  I have been following it since November and really like the new capabiities Blackberry has created for it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
brock-n

Something to remember... everything BlackBerry sells seems to be a work in progress... ;-) 

The Z10 is almost fully baked in my opinion, but my PlayBook sure wasn't!  However, my point is not to criticize the product, but rather to remind you that they are always fixing and tweaking... what doesn't work the way you want today may very well magically change after an OTA update at some point in the future.  Beta testing is one thing, but putting the device in the hands of thousands and thousands of people who WILL find every bizarre combination and permutation of actions to bring about a problem is really the way to improve the product...

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

Pull down the settings Menu (swipe from top bezel) and toggle to silent mode and out by pushing the icon beside "Notifications"

I believe this is the quick access to silent mode that you are looking for. :smileyhappy:
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JustWondering

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I was aware of that method, but I was looking for a one button solution like on the iPhone.  I believe some of the other solutions given above will also work (just keeping the down volume button pressed.)

Please use plain text.