Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Putting a Z10 on mute

JustWondering wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I was aware of that method, but I was looking for a one button solution like on the iPhone.  I believe some of the other solutions given above will also work (just keeping the down volume button pressed.)

Keeping the down button pressed actually takes two presses, one push and hold to lower the volume (for approximately 2.5 seconds from full volume) and one more push to activate silent mode.

Swiping up from the bottom bezel, then down from the top bezel then tapping the icon in one fluid motion is by far the fastest way. :smileyhappy:

But the method you chose is obviously your choice. :Surrender:

Playing this has also discovered another bug in that the two methods do not interact with each other. Make the device silent by the side volume buttons and silent mode is not indicated or enacted in the dropdown menu, and visa versa.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
linuxprophet
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Etisalat Nigeria

Hi there.

Have you tried creating a GMail account?

Although I don't have a MacBook Pro (yet!), I did wonder how I was going to copy (not migrate) all my Google Nexus 4 contacts over to the Z10, which I am using for evaluation purposes.

Fortunately, if you have all your contacts stored in your Google Account (advisable for Android smartphones), then simply set up GMail on the Z10, and voila! the contacts are populated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DagwoodB
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I just want to add that when you use the volume down button until your phone is on 'mute' - your phone will not vibrate - which for me is not desirable.

Using the Settings / Notifications / Mode = Vibrate Only will achieve this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JustWondering

Hi DagwoodB,

Thanks for the post. I had actually closed this post but it seems that people are still posting to it - which is nice to see. I believe you are correct that putting the phone on 'mute' will not cause it to vibrate for incoming phone calls.  I had forgotten so I went to try it but ran into another problem.

With the new release of BB v10.1 (yesterday- Tue, 14 May 2013) you cannot use the down volume button to put the phone on mute.  I believe this is a big mistake.  It seems that there should be an easy way to put the phone on mute in meetings or conferences if you forget to do so before the start.  If it rings during the meeting you don't want to be fumbling with it to mute it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
otos
My Device: Not Specified

On Blackberry Z10 all you need to do is to press and hold the volume control bottom by the right hand side of the device to final down minus. You can all also do it in setting too. difference is that you don't need to be on the line talking to enable the volume control.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JustWondering

Hello Otos,
That does not work anymore with the new release of BlackBerry v10.1. It does not go into mute mode. Even though it shows that there is no more volume, the phone rings when I call it. The only way to mute it now is to go into Settings. Unless I am missing something. . .
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

Personally I would rather not have the volume buttons control the ringer volume.. but it is now an option.

Settings > main volume > turn off 'Always adjust media volume'

The fastest way to toggle to silent/vibrate remains to be the notification icon which toggles between your current mode and silent or vibrate (now your choice)... and you don't have to worry about your ringer volume getting turned down by accident..

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JustWondering

Perfect. Thank you
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rob1261
My Carrier: Verizon

Great find.  I did not know there were live icons in the main dropdown menu.  I would hit Notifications and it would open the notifications screen and I would change it thru there.  There seems to be a lot of things that you discover along the way.  I think there may have been many Z10 not purchased or returned due to not being aware of the various options.  I was close to returning myself and tonight I searched the forums and found various things that have really helped.

Another option for quick mute is an app called FlipShush.  When the app is open, when you turn the phone face down it mutes the phone but it will vibrate.  It can be set for Phone, Notifications and Music (media).  You need to get the pay version to work on the phone.  But it does work.  

I also got the HUB++ app.  This is a great way to customize your alerts (color, sounds, vibrate).  Alerts can be customized by contact.  If even gives you a preview screen to see your text or email without going into the Hub.

rob

Please use plain text.
froberts
My Device: Not Specified

Mute? Easy!

While the call is in progress, simply look at where the key pay WAS when the call was initiated... There it is, right below the "Speaker" button: the "Mute" button.

BTW, I've had my Z10 for a week, upgrading from Bold, which I loved except for the browser and noisy keyboard. Z10's a new culture, but it still "thinks" like BB, which I like. But gotta look in different places for some things... like the mute button.

Please use plain text.