Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
pfaure
My Device: Playbook

Quirks with new Z10

Hello,
I have had my new phone for about 3 weeks now. Generally, I am VERY pleased with it.  I have noticed two "quarks".

1- Saving a bookmark to my homepage, when clicked on, it doesn't open, the browser opens my previous page instead,
Try this:
  Go to a website,
  Save the bookmark to the home page.
  go to a second site.
  Close browser.
  then click on the bookmark that you just saved.
You will notice that the second site loads, and not the one that you bookmarked.  why?

2- I have a wireless network at home, but the phone still uses my data plan instead?  I do get messages stating that there is "limited" connectivity, but I have all bars. Why?

I do know that I have a proxy on my home network, to filter website from my kids, but that shouldnt' be a reason to not use the wifi.  I should have the option to accept this limitation instead of just being told that it is limited and not use it at all.

Thank you

Philippe

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

Re: Quirks with new Z10

pfaure wrote:

Hello,
I have had my new phone for about 3 weeks now. Generally, I am VERY pleased with it.  I have noticed two "quarks".

1- Saving a bookmark to my homepage, when clicked on, it doesn't open, the browser opens my previous page instead,
Try this:
  Go to a website,
  Save the bookmark to the home page.
  go to a second site.
  Close browser.
  then click on the bookmark that you just saved.
You will notice that the second site loads, and not the one that you bookmarked.  why?

2- I have a wireless network at home, but the phone still uses my data plan instead?  I do get messages stating that there is "limited" connectivity, but I have all bars. Why?

I do know that I have a proxy on my home network, to filter website from my kids, but that shouldnt' be a reason to not use the wifi.  I should have the option to accept this limitation instead of just being told that it is limited and not use it at all.

Thank you

Philippe

Question 2

What type of WIFI network is it (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n) and what security on it (WEP, WAP, WAP2)

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pfaure
My Device: Playbook

I have an 802.11n network with wep security. Dhcp has two ranges, one that if filtered via proxy and one that isn't . Filtering is done with dansguardian on a Linux router. If I use the unfiltered dhcp range, the z10 picks wifi for data, if I use the filtered, it uses my cellular data. Which is not what I am looking for.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

pfaure wrote:
I have an 802.11n network with wep security. Dhcp has two ranges, one that if filtered via proxy and one that isn't . Filtering is done with dansguardian on a Linux router. If I use the unfiltered dhcp range, the z10 picks wifi for data, if I use the filtered, it uses my cellular data. Which is not what I am looking for.

Try changing your security to WPA or even better WPA2

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
LCromwell
My Device: Z10-STL100-4

That is how mine is set up and it works well.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
scrannel
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247

How do you know it's using cell data instead of wifi?  On mine if I am running wifi, the cell indicators will sometimes still appear.  If you put your phone in airplane mode (which kills cell radios) then turn on wifi, your wifi should work regardless.  If it doesn't, then you know... 

Please use plain text.