Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: BB Z10 - STL100-3
My Carrier: AT&T

Really bad battery life on my BB Z10

I'm having problems with the battery life on my z10.  It doesn't last more than 4 to 5 hours after a full overnight charge with the original BB charger.  

I called my carrier who gave me another brand new BB Z10 and a brand new battery.  Same issue.  Nothing is turned on on the phone and I'm talking for not more than 20 minutes within the 4 to 5 hours.  Maybe check my emails and type one or two.  I'm not using the internet or play games or listen to music on purpose not to drain the battery.  I haven't put any apps on it.  The only thing I did was download my contacts from my old phone. 

The phone gets very hot all the time even in stand-by, in the holster or in my pocket (can't carry in my pocket because it becomes uncomfortably hot). 

I followed all of the suggestions posted here (have the latest OS, changed the settings accordingly, etc.) and it does not seem to have made a difference.  As a long time use of BB, unless I can extend the battery life to at least 8 to 10 hours (a normal work day), I may be forced to move to another brand.

Help please! 

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Really bad battery life on my BB Z10

Often I find the phone is hotter when asked to do things in periods of weak coverage.

• what happens if the phone is "airplane mode" for a few hours or overnight?  Does the temperature and battery improve?  If so this confirms weak coverage is the cause....
  • turn off Bluetooth when not being used
  • turn off NFC if not being used
  • turn off Wifi when you are out of the house.  Wifi scanning when when wifi is not being used is pointless
  • I even turn off cell networks when I'm sleeping and in meetings.  I don't want to be disturbed

Battery life can be improved by using HSPA instead of LTE.  Try telling the phone to ignore LTE signals if you don't need the speed.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BB Z10 - STL100-3
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Really bad battery life on my BB Z10

Thank you for the tips. I used them over the last few days. While they did increase the life of the phone for 1 hour or so (now 5 to 6 hours when not in use or minimal use), I had most of the things off. So basically, If I turn off Bluetooth, I turn off NFC, I turn off Wifi and I turn off cell networks, If I barely use it, then the battery may last me a work day...

If the phone is basically off... why have one.

Thank you guys for the advise. Now I need to decide how to move forward.