Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray
My Device: Blackberry Z10 and Blackberry Q10

Receiving a calendar event message from a third party on a BB Z10

I have a BB Z10 on the UK Vodafone network. My Z10 is set to GMT time and correctly shows that I am in the "Dublin, London" time zone. This is the GMT time zone description that all BB devices that I have ever owned have shown.

This afternoon (UK time) i received a calendar event notification from a client who I have since established was at his desk in London when he sent the message advising me of a conference call to take place next week.

The advice on the Z10 has five clear sections: "Status", "Date", a bell symbol to indicate when the reminder will sound, and a fifth symbol indicating the number on which to call in, and the PIN code.

However, and this is my serious problem, there is a third section on the advice which has a globe symbol and appears to exist to indicate where the person setting up the event was located when he/she sent the message. In the specific case of which I write, the message states "This event is displayed in local time, but was created in Reykjavik (GMT) [sic}". The actual message shows the time for the event as one hour later than the actual time that the event is scheduled to take place - in other words GMT + 2 hours - namely the time in continental Europe and Reykjavik.

I have serious issues with this:

1) Is it the real intention to indicate where the sender of the message was located when the message was sent?

2) if yes, this is a serious breach of privacy

3) if yes, the location is wrong, as the person who sent me the message has confirmed that he was at his desk in London

4) if no what is the purpose in indicating where "the message was created" (BB's words - not mine)

5) the indicated time of the event is wrong - it has assumed a different time zone than that in which I and the sender are located.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and what has BB got to say about it???

Thanks

PJCMoray

Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Receiving a calendar event message from a third party on a BB Z10

Hi PJCMoray,

On which email account are you receiving this invite (Microsoft Exchange, Gmail, etc)? Is the meeting organizer in the same organization as you or from a secondary organization?  When you access the invite on your computer, do you see the same information and time zone?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray

I received the e-mail notification on Microsift Outlook from a third party (i.e. not someone within my own organisation).

The same invite on both my lap-top  computer and my BB 9900 Bold did not have any mention about the sender being in Iceland (or anywhere else!) and showed the correct time and time-zone for the agreed meeting - namely, 8,30am on Friday the 19th April.

I confirm that my Z10 is set to the "Dublin, London (+0)" time zone and is currently showing the correct British Summer Time of 16.31. The device switched automatically to British Summer Time on Sunday 31st March.

I would welcome your comments.

In every other respect (apart from the infamous Outlook USB synching issue about which I am sure you have heard more than enough!!), the Z10 is an outstanding device and deserves to be the device which at long last wipes the smile off the faces of those equine rumps in Cupertino, California!!

I am expecting the roll-out of the Q10 in the UK in a couple of weeks  - please??!!

Thanks again for your help and assistance

PJCMoray

Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants

Thanks for the great comments about the BlackBerry Z10! 

As for the calendar issue, does the location only appear from this one contact when they send you a calendar invite?  Also, you indicated that they were actually in London as well, correct?

Is it possible to provide me a screen shot of exactly what you are seeing when you receive the invite?  If there is personal information in the invite, feel free to send it to me via Private Message.

-CptS

Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray

Yes, the sender was in London when they sent the calendar invite and I was on a train in the UK. The same people have sent me invites previously, but this was the first time that this invite format appeared. For what it is worth, it is the first invite I have received since I installed the recent upgrade of my BB Link and synced my Z10 to the BB Link.

I have not received any invites since this one.

What is the easiest way of sending you a screen shot as you request. Apologies for being a nerd!

Thanks

PJCMoray
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants

If there is no personal information in the invite, you can add it to your reply by clicking on the picture of the tree in the toolbar above the reply box.  Otherwise, click on my name on the left and choose "Send this user a private message".

To take a screen shot, hold the volume up and down keys on your BlackBerry Z10 at the same time.

Thanks!

-CptS

Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray

I think that we may be at cross purposes here.

The message of which I have been writing is a calendar event notification posted to my Z10 (not my laptop) without any heading other than the title of the event in question. The icon along the left of the "Hub" page is two human heads one in front of the other. There is no reply option - only the prompt "Add to calendar". I do not see how I can add this calendar event notification to any reply or message to you. There is no reply or message function offered at all.

Perhaps you could telephone me on +44 7795 482 224 (that's a UK mobile number). The time here as I send this message is 17h40 on Wednesday. I could take your call from 20h30 to 22h15 today or tomorrow Thursday from 14h30 until 22h15.

Thanks

PJCMoray
New Contributor
daveyrand
My Device: Various

My CTO, who is currently testing the Z10, is having the exact same issue. He is connected to his Exchange 2010 mailbox via a BES 10 server. Our primary email client is Outlook 2010.

Screenshot of problem - http://postimg.org/image/i4fnplh53/

The screenshot shows a decline notification, but it is the same for all calendar items. It affects items created internally and externally. All of our machines are set to use London time, so currently BST. Note that this problem also occured before our clocks went forward on the 31st of March.

Any ideas? Let me know if I can provide any further information to help troubleshoot. We are very impressed with the Z10 as a whole, but we cannot really move forward with issuing these to our VIP's until we can resolve this issue.

Cheers,

Dave

Visitor
gsweeney
My Device: Z10

Has this issue got any more updates as we have just started seeing the issue with meetings showing with a Reykjavik time zone.

We were using Lotus Notes and currently in the middle of migrating to Exchange 2010.  4 of our BB 10 users have now migrated to Exchange and we have seen the exact same issue as the others in this string but our BB's are connecting via Active Sync to Exchange servers in the US.  When the calendar invites are sent from Lotus Notes the problem occurs (the Domino Server is UK based and time zone is set correctly), invitations from Outlook clients seem to work with no issues.  The users having this issue are all UK based and on the O2 network with all settings correct on Laptops and Blackberry, the blackberry is set to "Dublin, London (+0) - Set Date Time Automatically".  Even stranger once the appointment is accepted it shows the correct time.

Outlook, iPhones and iPads (Apple devices are connected by the same Active Sync connection) are working with no issues.  it is just the BB10 (BB5 is fine) devices that show the wrong time zone.  I guess we will just need to speed up our migration!!

Regards

Gareth

Trusted Contributor
PJCMoray

There have not been any updates that I am aware of. I am on Vodafone - not, I suspect, that this makes any difference!

P J C Moray