Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Spencer101
My Device: Z10

Restore contact details from old BB to shiny new Z10...?

I had a BlackBerry Torch and was using BlackBerry Protect.

That handset was dropped in water and stopped working.

I got a new BlackBerry Z10 today and wish to retrieve my contact data and update the new handset.

Is this possible?

I have logged in to the BB Protect website and can see my most recent backup was September 2012, but I have no idea how to access the information and add it to my new phone.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SurveySoft
My Device: Z10, 9530, PlayBook

Re: Restore contact details from old BB to shiny new Z10...?

I have to admit that this is the only flaw in the new Z10.  What I realized was that on my 9530 (5.0 software), I could not change my contact list default email address, that they were tied to, and carry the contacts over to the new phone, if I did not use that email adress anymore.  After a lot of research on this, it simply did not work.

Here is what I had to do:

• Install "Advance OS and LED" from Blackberry world on my old phone (Storm 9530).
  • Export adress book to a CSV and store on the SD Card.
  • Edit / Clean up the CSV in Excel (or other spreadsheet). Resave that file to a CSV.
  • Get a Google gmail account, and import the CSV as my contact list.
  • Add the gmail account to my Z10.

Now I have the contact list in my phone, but I am also tied to a Gmail account now.  I am hoping that something comes along SOON where I can just import the contacts from my old phone in "Blackberry Link" and simply copy them over to the new phone.  This was probably a poor oversite from RIM where back in the earlier days, your contacts were tied to the first email that you entered.

As I have said, trying to change that original default email now, even by all of the great help out there, does not work on the 9530.  If you are still using the same email now, as you were when you received your original BB, you should have a lot less problems.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jefferyh
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g, 2-z10's

try this site it worked for me but not on the first try

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-switch-devices

Please use plain text.
Visitor
s_bermudo
My Device: Blackberry 9810

HI,

I was wondering if I can use Blackberry Desktop Manager to backup all the data on my BB Torch 9810, have the Blackberry Link installed in my PC and restore the data on my BBz10. Will that be possible?

In short, will the Blackberry Link read the file that was saved through Blackberry Desktop Manager?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SurveySoft
My Device: Z10, 9530, PlayBook

Backing up the Torch is definitely recommended first.

Blackberry Link should be able to do all of the transfer for you, if you don't run any unforseen issues.  It will prompt you when to plug in the Z10.  It works great for a lot of people, but didn't for me.

See my other post in this thread.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Spencer101

Oh I'm sure backing up the Torch is recommended first.  But if the Torch was lost/stolen/damaged or otherwise unavailable to perform the backup is it possible to retrieve my previously backed up contact details from the BlackBerry Protect website and reapply them to my Z10?

I fail to believe that a company producing phones this good could overlook such a thing.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Moroz

I've tried the gmail account solution and have had no success in transferring the contacts from my old Storm 9530. In fishing around with the phone (trying to "wake up" the contacts as some writers here have somehow managed to do) I have discovered that the "add to contacts" function from emails I have managed to receive on the phone is also failing to work. Curious.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Moroz

Ok... update... 7+ hours in and more fiddling, and FINALLY my contacts have kicked in. (transfer from Storm to Z10)

So in the end the solution for me it was the export to CVS, upload to gmail account route. Then I searched through the various apps A LOT and tried every variant suggestion I could find on this forum in various threads. Finally rebooted the phone, which corrected a screen glitch in the setup directory and blipped me an out-of-date voicemail notification. I called the Z10 from a landline to check voicemail just in case, because I was trying to conserve my last precious minutes that would allow me the option of returning the phone. Ended the call, and BAM, contacts started loading in my dial screen contacts.

Now I am NOT 100% happy - aside from the massive time burn, the data transfer has lost ALL of the personal birthday/anniversary info for everyone who is not also a facebook friend. I will obviously have to reenter those by hand. Plus whatever other odd notes and details may have gone by the wayside as well. (560+ contacts, only 100+ FB friends, you do the math)

ALSO I have not successfully transferred my calendar data, that can be a seven hour project for another night, I guess. ;[ 

But the failure to transfer the overall bulk of the contacts transfer would have been the deal breaker for me. So now I'm going to sleep on it before I decide whether to commit tomorrow.

In conclusion: c'mon RIM team, I know it's been hard times and I want to be a loyal supporter. But the fundamentals matter far more than the frills to your client base. Fix this, and fast.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Moroz

Update on the update: I may have gotten some of my contact info ported, but not all of it, and it certainly chewed what came across. I am forced to edit every entry, restoring the mobile numbers (which all disappeared), any personal information (birthdays and anniversaries all disappeared), and move the email info from "notes" back into its proper entry. With as many contacts as I have, you can understand this is a huge and painful process. I pity those with this problem who are even better connected than I am!
Please use plain text.