If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
erichf
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Virgin

Restoring Torch 9800 backup to z10

My Torch 9800 was stolen on the weekend and I've replaced it with a z10. Is there anyway to get the backup of the Torch to the Z10. I read that the new Link software can back up a Torch and then restore to the Z10 but I don't have the Torch anymore. Is there any way to get to the backup data?

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Restoring Torch 9800 backup to z10

Hi erichf,

Unfortunately, if your Torch was stolen, your options will be a bit limited. If you can get your hands on another BlackBerry device (e.g. if your carrier is willing to help you with this, or if you have access to another one), an option would be to restore your Torch data to that device, then use that device to copy the info over to your new BlackBerry Z10.

If you don't have that access, an option may be to look into the BlackBerry Backup Extractor. This can take the data from your last Torch backup and extract the needed info so that you can use a wireless sync option (e.g. Outlook/Hotmail.com, Gmail or Yahoo mail) to sync the data to your BlackBerry. It will be a bit of a hassle, but this should at least transfer your important info like Contacts and Calendar, and should help you keep a record of some of the other things that can be extracted.

You can get more info on this software here: http://www.blackberryconverter.com/

Good luck!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

If you don't have a Hotmail account, get one...

You can get a utility from MS that will allow you to sync Hotmail with the MS Outlook on your computer.  Once you get Outlook linkded with your Hotmail account which is now called Outlook.com you can copy all your contacts from the default Outlook contacts folder to the Hotmail synce folder in Outlook. Then when you register your phone to sync with Hotmail, the contents of the contacts folder in Outlook will get transfered to the phone via Hotmail from Outlook.

This is all a bit complicated, but it worked very well.

I managed to locate that try to force the original backup file from my old BB Bold through the Link software to be written to the new Z10. The time and effort was not worth it...

I spoke to BB tech support about all of this. They told me they are aware of the transfer issue between phones. They are collecting logs and  are gong to persue the problem, so they can impliment an update to correct this.

As for being able to sync with Outlook, I was told this is being worked on.  Apparently with the base OS, which I believe is called QNX, has some issues in how to write the code and set it up to be able to work properly.

Someone else told me they are also still working on some agreements with MS about this. Apparently, if you are on the BB corperate business plan the sync  files can be transfered using MS Exchange Server. This involves a fair amount of cost unless this is something you need for your business.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
erichf
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Virgin

Thanks for the feedback. It's a bit disturbing that the BlackBerry "backup" can only be restored to the same device. Sort of defeats half the purpose of backing up in my opinion. I took a look at Blackberry Backup Extractor. Once I avoided all the shareware **bleep** that it wanted to install it then failed to install on an xp machine. I eventually got it to run on my Win7 machine but of course, it only extracts the first 5 entries in each category (contacts, e-mail etc unless you pay them $25. While I'm not averse to paying for the software, it turns me off that I have to weave my way through the shareware gauntlet to find out that the software is crippled beyond use and I have to pay for it anyway..

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

The BlackBerry backup can be restored to other devices, but the catch here is that the basic backup file from the older OS versions simply isn't compatible with the new BlackBerry devices. It's similar to the same issues you'd face if you were to have bought an Android or iPhone. This is a completely different device, which I'm sure you're noticing. :smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.