Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
scratchduffer
My Device: S3

SSL required for Activesync?

Can anyone verify if you can setp and sync to activesyc that doesnt have an SSL certificate?

Please use plain text.
Georges011D
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: SSL required for Activesync?

Work for Mortgage Franchise, Centum Mortgages in Canada.

Company instructions state that Blackberry devises do not support the ActiveSync protocol natively.

Blackberry users are required to acquire a third-party component to supports this protocol. One such component is  NotifySync.    Very disappointing to find this out after BB z10 was purchased.  

Looks like 1st year cost of $120 with annual renewal fee of $30.

This is very unpleasant surprise.   Hopefully a better alternative is available or BB can provide better alternative.

This is NOT required for I-phone users.

Georges011D

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

What does that have to do with the question that was asked????

As far as I know ActiveSync is supported natively by BB10 - In fact I'm sure it is. You simply need to click the advanced button at the bottom of the page when setting up your email account and choose ActiveSync as the account type!

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam

[ Edited ]

The Z10 supports ActiveSync, in fact for corporate email like Exchange that's the only way to connect to it.

As for the original question, I can't think of any reason why anyone would setup ActiveSync without an SSL certificate, in fact I'm pretty sure that's not even an option with Exchange.

If you're having problems connecting I'd suggest you speak to your IT department. Ideally they will be setting up BES10 and can activate your device and setup your email that way.

If you just want to know if the Z10 supports ActiveSync then the answer is Yes.

----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam

@Georges011D This is incorrect, the Z10 supports ActiveSync. Earlier BlackBerry devices did not.
----------
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scratchduffer

Actually the reason they don't have a cert is that they were a blackberry shop exclusively an no requirement for outlook anywhere. So why spend the money?

I talked to another customer in the same scenario. Looks like the SSL is optional in the account setup.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-

Activesync can be setup in IIS as a non-SSL website.  The Z10 can connect to it.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam

[ Edited ]

It's terribly insecure though, especially if you're using it externally. As for spending the money, you can get a certificate for under $100 per year, not much for a business to spend to avoid using HTTP for everything. Also, ActiveSync and Outlook Anywhere are separate functions of Exchange, and if you want external access to email from any sort of mobile device with the exception of older BlackBerry devices you would need to have ActiveSync setup. You only require Outlook Anywhere if you want Outlook clients to be able to connect from outside the organization.

Given that the new method of connectivity to Exchange from BB10 is via ActiveSync, it would be prudent to have a secure implementation vs an non-secure one.

----------
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-

SSL is defnitely recommended :smileyhappy:

If you don't want to pay for a third party certificate you could also use one generated from your internal CA.  You could import the root certificate into the device to avoid the untrusted cert message or if you're on a BES10 server you could push the root cert out automatically.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scratchduffer

Obviously....
Please use plain text.