Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
ericthellama
My Device: Playbook 64 GB (x2) + Curve 9790 + Z10
My Carrier: BT + EE
Accepted Solution

Screen rotation . . . . won't.

Screen rotation . . an essential feature of the camera, videos, browser, story-maker etc.  Mine won't rotate.  Ever, at all.  So I can't use the camera fully, the story maker is wonderful but pointless since I can't get the correct format when I plug it into my HDMI television, videos are not filling the screen.  It resolutely stays in portrait mode whatever I do. Software updates, complete re-set to factory etc. Nothing works . . . . and yes, before you ask, the rotation lock is not on.  Interestingly, this is my second Z10 and my issues have been hardware, not siftware.  The first one failed due to an inoperable camera, this one becasue of an apparent fault with the gyro-thingy that detects orientation.  I might just end up as a dedicated BB user who just puts the Z10 back in the box and goes back to his Bold 9790 (which I love).

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Screen rotation . . . . won't.

Did you restore a backup file to the Z10? It's possible something in the restored data is causing this rotation issue. I've seen issues like this before and wiping the device and not restoring the data has solved it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama

[ Edited ]

Yep, I tried that, but first I tried it before restoring any data.  It didn't work.  A restart didn't work. A shut-down-battery-out didn't sort it. A complete restore didn't solve it either. I've run out of ideas.  It's a shame because the best features of the phone make this an essential activity.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
aparco
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi ericthellama,

Can you download a sensor application and see if the accelerometer sensor is working?  Does the accelerometer values change when you move the device?  You should see ~10m/s/s move from the Y axis to the X axis as you move the device from portrait to landscape.

Thanks,

Adam.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama

Thanks for the support guys.  I downloaded the recommended sensor app as directed.  I get no response at all from the accelerometer. The compass doesn't move (but then I am inside the building), the magnetometer just says 'inf' for everything, The illumination section responds and the scale goes up and down as I  cover the sensor.  The 'attitude' sensor just reads zero for everything.  I do get a gps reading which is pretty impressive since I am inside a metal clad office.  What does this tell you?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I would get the device replaced under warranty from your carrier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama

[ Edited ]

I was one of the lucky few who were given a Z10 at the BEF13 by Blackberry a couple of months back. As a regular Bold 9790 and Playbook user I love the Z10, but sadly since it didn't come from a carrier it was BB who replaced the first one (failed camera) and I feel a bit mean now the second one has failed me within a month. It should probably just go back in its box, and we can just pretend I never had one.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama

Finally resolved with the help of BB Support and a security wipe. Why that worked when everything else failed I have no idea but it did, but all sensors appear to be working.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

That's what I suggested to begin with. Glad it's working.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama

[ Edited ]

We both spoke too soon. It was working fine until I reloaded the apps from BB World. Now it's dead again. No screen rotation, no read-out from the accelerometers etc. Had me going there for a minute . . . thought we had it licked. I think it's time to re-box it and take it out in a year when the bugs have been ironed out. I just don't have enough hours available to keep wiping, cleaning and re-setting it. I can't count how much time I have wasted in trying to get it running right and I still don't have a reliable way of transferring my data from my 9790 to the Z10. I don't understand how BB can get the Playbook so right, but the Z10 so wrong! They're the same basic system for heavens sake!

Please use plain text.