Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Screen rotation . . . . won't.

Well, that narrows it down. What apps did you install? Obviously, one of them is causing the problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama
My Device: Playbook 64 GB (x2) + Curve 9790 + Z10
My Carrier: BT + EE

I'm wiping it again . . . deja vu? . . . I'll consider my purchased apps a learning curve and write them off. I'll just leave the apps that it comes with since I simply don't have the time or energy to mess about with it any longer. I still can't find a reliable way to get my contacts over from the Bold 9790 since neither method recommended on Link works. One last try, one last wasted evening and then it's back in the box in the drawer.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

So, throw the baby out with the bathwater? Just load one app at a time to narrow down which one is causing the problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama

. . and when I work out which one is causing the problem, I just wipe it all and start again, missing that one out? I might just try that, but it will have to happen over time since my faith in the software is rather diminished right now. In the meantime I suspect that I will go back to a more stable platform until I can sort this one out. I still love it. It's a leap on from the others, but it just isn't ready yet. When I finally work out which app is the problem I'll post it up here.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

You should be able to just delete the app that is causing it.

If you listed out the apps you installed we could probably rule out a good share of then.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama

Wiped . . downloaded BB Travel, BB Maps and BBC news, the minimum I can live with. Screen locked again. Wiping again. Next time will just download the BBsensors checker (didn't seem to upset anything the last time) and that's all. Will report back.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Since I have both BB Travel and BB Maps and do not have any issues like this, I would suspect BBC News.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama

Still working with : 360 Panorama, BBSensors, BB Travel, National Rail Times, WhatsApp, The Guardian, The Evening Standard. None of them upset the system and I've decided not to put the BBC stuff back on. At least it's working again. Can I go home now?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

So, it's pretty apparent that the BBC News app is causing your issue. I would attempt to contact them and find out if they have any ideas why their app does that. Is it an Andorid-port app or a native BB 10 app?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ericthellama

[ Edited ]

Well, I wasn't expecting that.  It isn't the BBC app at all. After loading each app I tested the camera and it was fine when they were all loaded, then it wasn't.  So I deleted them one by one, but the whole thing stayed locked into partrait mode and I had to do a security wipe to get it working again.  I think I did five security wipes yesterday afternoon and evening and I investigated the whole loading and unloading process carefully and scientifically.  Whatever I did, it locked into portrait mode and I'd have to wipe it to make it work again.  The last wipe was so I could pack it back in its box.  I have no idea if its a software or an intermittent hardware fault, but I just don't have the time to find out.  I'm going to leave it packed away for six months and then try again, to see if the software has become any more stable.  If not, it can stay in the draw with my Palm Pre and other stuff that falls into the catagory of 'brilliant but never quite made it'.

The tragedy is, going back to the iPhone is like stepping back into the steam age!  It's so limited! Can't change battery . . . where's the SD card slot? . . . why can't I plug in an HDMI cable? So linear and so limited.  It's the difference between a toy (iPhone) and a tool (Z10).

Please use plain text.