Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
ssbtech
My Device: Torch 9800
Accepted Solution

Sending email from my POP account on a Z10

My Torch 9800 has no problem sending email through my Shaw.ca email accounts.  BIS handles this perfectly.  Now that BlackBerry gave up on BIS, how can I send emails through my Shaw account when they don't allow connections to their SMTP server from outside their network? 

I'm not switching to their EAS webmail system as this ends up being a nightmare on my desktop.

Thanks.

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Sending email from my POP account on a Z10

Hi ssbtech,

Unfortunately I'm not sure if there is another way around it without using a different SMTP address (e.g. via a different email service). I personally ended up dropping my Telus email address after nearly 15 years with the same email address because of these limitations with other devices. It's a pain to have to give up an email address, but sometimes its the best way to proceed.

I personally switched to an Outlook.com email account a while back and haven't looked back since. Nice to not have to worry when I take my laptop anywhere that isn't on a Telus account. It just works now. Plus, I now have wireless contact and calendar sync.

I know it's not ideal, but I only wish I had made the change earlier. And one thing that can help is that you can forward all of your Shaw email until you've managed to switch everyone over.

The only other option is to contact Shaw and see if they can offer you any other solution.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Regular Contributor
ssbtech

That was my thinking as well.  I'll just stick with what I have.  I don't want to move everything to a free email service and then discover one day that like BIS, it too is going the way of the Dodo bird.

I was looking forward to an upgrade, but between this and the Outlook desktop sync issues I think I'll stick with the 9800.

Cheers,

Elite I
Krypto

Double-check with Shaw though. I honestly still find it hard to believe that Shaw, Telus, etc. don't give full SMTP access. They may have finally come up with some sort of solution, or they may have an option for you (in my case, when I was on Telus and not at home on my laptop, I used my university's SMTP account with my Telus email).

As to the desktop sync, I know it's currently not available, but hopefully we'll see something soon (I do know Companion Link is creating a tool that should be ready soon, but hopefully RIM will see all the feedback and get a solution as well. Hopefully you'll be able to make the upgrade to BB10 soon.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Elite I
Krypto

Hi ssbtech,

I've just figured out how to set up an Outlook.com account and link it fully to your Shaw email account. This will allow you to send and receive emails from your Shaw account via an Outlook.com email account, and will allow all your contacts and calendar to sync wirelessly with your device. Let me know if you would be interested in these instructions and if so, I will post them for you.

Regular Contributor
ssbtech

Thanks but I'm going to hold off on a Z10 for now, at least until the Outlook sync function is restored.

I'm not sure how I want to handle the email without BIS.  I suppose I could set the phone up to use EAS (The ISP uses that for webmail) with the PC still using POP. 

I don't like keeping several emails on my phone.  I either delete them after reading but I might hold onto one or two for reference for a few days.  When I delete messages from my phone, I still want them on the server so Outlook on the desktop can download them. 

I've been sticking with BlackBerry because I can't stand how other platforms handle email.  I wonder if BB is planning on discontinuing BIS for OS6/7 phones any time soon.

New Contributor
vista
My Device: Blackberry z10

My z10 is going back today, for multiple reasons

Contacts won't sync across
Won't work properly with my car when all previous BBs did
Lots of useful features have disappeared
But most importantly NONE of my email accounts will send mail from it when they all did previously with the Storm2.

A big thumbs down from me for the z10 even if it is a fancy looking phone and the browser is much better. I stuck with BB because I wanted a tool not a toy
Contributor
Freeskiken
My Device: Blackberry Z10

I was able to setup my Telus email account. When you set it up some of the information is incorrect. The smtp account does not need a user name or password. Add smtp.telus.net . Use port 25 . Then it works. It links with my car Bluetooth no problem. I set up sync of contacts and calendar through a gmail account, active sync on the phone and a program called sync2. Now mine syncs with my computers and iPad.