Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky
My Device: 9900

Serious Problem: Categories are not supported in contacts, and get stripped when edited.

I am not sure if you guys will call this a serious problem or disaster for some (especially for those who rely on Contacts and Categories to get their work done) but I can easily see this being a major deal breaker for those hard-core BB users who relied on their BB to run their business while on the go.

1) Blackberry OS10 does not support categories for contacts. I dont know if this is due to lack of BIS or BES, or if it is solely due to Active Sync limitation, but there is no way to sort/list/filter contacts by categories.

2) Just in case someone can still work without contact categories on their BB, if they make the mistake of editing a contact, the category information will be deleted/stripped from the contact, and then sent back to server.

Blackberry needs to fix this asap, or inform their users if BES10 fixes this issue?

Now, we only know about Categories since it is something major, what if it is stripping other information? Custom fields? Birthdates? I was so happy to see Contact Notes were being synced (was an issue with Android) but now categories do not make their way across, I think it can cause a lot of people complaining or dropping BB10.

Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Serious Problem: Categories are not supported in contacts, and get stripped when edited.

Hey Ride_the_sky,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the post.

Categories or groups are currently not supported in BlackBerry 10.  There is no estimated time when this feature will return.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky
My Device: 9900

Re: Serious Problem: Categories are not supported in contacts, and get stripped when edited.

[ Edited ]

I thought I replied to this thread.. I guess reply didn't make it across somehow..

Anyway, thanks for taking time to reply.
I understand they are not supported, if there is no estimated time for these features to return I understand it is not even the talks among BB's in-house developers. Fine, if this feature will not return, please fix BB system not to strip the unsupported fields off the contacts. Again, this could be a disaster for someone not realizing this until it is too late.. When you edit something on device, you would expect it to apply the update on server side with same information, not just remove what's on server and then replace. Please incorporate this so that it appends on server, not replace.

In the meantime, I will run a script and add Category info to all my contacts in Notes section, hopefully search will still find them that way.

Contributor
dreggen
My Device: Z10

categories in Calendar wont get deleted by updating via ActiveSync. So I hope its a bug that will be fixed soon. Otherwise I cant use the BB and have to give them back. Its hard to understand why BB doesnt support basic items of Outlook like categories. I had the hope that would be better in OS10.

Contributor
dreggen
My Device: Z10

ok, update. Categories do get deleted by editing a meeting in Z10. Outlook is only nice and remembers the once given colour...

Is this in a bugtrackerlist or will this be a "feature" we have to live with? I dont see the point in having a mobile device which is only good for looking up data, and I have to use Outlook to update/complete my data.

New Contributor
jsm451
My Device: Bold 9930

Why on earth would the software developers not have the most basic feature for contact management: categories?

New Contributor
jsm451

I bought  a Z10 on release day and returned two days later when I discovered, like you that the Z10 software strips all category information from the contact.  First, I can't understand why they would take this basic feature out.  Blackberry is for business people right?  How am I supposed to quickly look up my active clients?   

New Contributor
awlfm
My Device: Strom 9520

this categories important for business . it help us to categorized the contact. why this important already pull out/? should we dissappont to rim. may be later rim would be a business phone anymore.  

New Contributor
jsm451

Hello Blackberry-

It's been two months since the release of BB10.  There has even been an update and still no support for contact categories.  Any plan to add categories?  What has the response from the BB community been?  How are sales doing?  Do you think the poor sales are due to the fact that BB didn't make a new blackberry phone?  They just copied the iPhone.  You should have called it a bPhone.