Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Developer
ArchangelJP
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

Streaming media etc.

[ Edited ]

* Having the ability to access SMb/CIFS shares from the file manager and maby be ably to stream media from there without having to copy anything over.

I don't have a Blackberry 10 device yet, going to get myself one this christmas, but I read up on this, and it only seems to be possible with android apps, which isn't an issue, I would just want to do it natively. I can already copy files to and from smb shares on my bold 9700, would make sense if it was possible in blackberry 10 too.

Regular Contributor
kmascoll
My Device: bbz10

Re:Streaming media etc.

[ Edited ]

If I understand what you're asking, I do this right now through BlackBerry Link. Downside is BlackBerry Link is too buggy and it only works 50% of the time.

New Developer
ArchangelJP

Re: Feature Requests for BlackBerry10 OS

Yea, I have a linux file server with all my music and movies and series and whatever else on it, I really would like to be able to get into bed at night and connect to the server through wifi and just watch an episode of a series or listen to some music whithout having to copy over everything. Its not really required, but surely a nice addition in my opinion.
Regular Contributor
ssbtech
My Device: Torch 9800

I agree, having some sort of network browser built in should be standard on the device representing the "future of mobile computing"

:smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
kmascoll

You can add the specific folders through bb link but I don't know if bb link can be installed on Linux. If you have bb link installed on a network folder running windows the you're good. The problem I have right now is that mkv files of a certain size are not supported.
New Developer
ArchangelJP

Oh poor me, hehe, linux isn't rupported, only Windows and Mac OS are supported platforms, well at least last time I checked. Blackberry hasn't even released a native Blackberry desktop Manager app, like Windows and Mac have for linux. Very sad indeed. I guess ill find a way to get it working, but I really would love to be able to do that natively. Who knows, maby BlackBerry actually releases Link for linux. *le hope :smileyhappy:
Regular Contributor
kmascoll

To add. The ability to stream isn't really available. When you want to watch a movie the device tries to download the entire file so it takes quite a while to start playing. You end up transferring the selected file to the device anyway to avoid the wait.
New Developer
ArchangelJP

Um, yea, I really don't get why this isn't a feature already. I mean, they(BlackBerry) really promoted the devices' ability to stream directly to a TV set for instance, why couldn't it work the other way around? Would certainly make a lot of people's lives much easier.
Regular Contributor
ssbtech
My Device: Torch 9800

It's not so much linux support, but I find BB Link to be highly unreliable. 

It's a great idea, but simply fails to function correctly.  It's also restricted to sharing folders on one PC.  I'd like to see all shares on my network.

New Developer
ArchangelJP

I agree. Although I don't have first hand experience with link. I was also just thinking, Blackberry 10 uses QNX as a base OS, which already has some sort of smb/cifs client port. If that is indeed the case, then adding such functionality shouldn't be an issue. I'm trying to say, maby throw Link out of the equation entirely. Well for media sharing and streaming anyway.