Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
jefferyh
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g, 2-z10's
My Carrier: rogers

Swipe experience..Now I need to either send it to be fixed or exchange my phone

I had a problem connecting to the link yesterday and after trying to get the link to work I lost most of my data on the z10.  My deleting the link and reinstalling didn't work and the restore function went to 100% on the desktop and wouldn't finish on the handset and eventually I pulled the plug when it was obvious it was never going to finish.   All these issues  started just by trying to download some pictures which I have done many times before. I tried my provider Rogers for support and they wanted me to pay for support.  I went here and no one responded.  I called BB head office and I was to get a returned phone call and after 6 hours of waiting by the phone I decided just to do  swipe and start over.  The swipe apparently removes the provider information which is truly idiotic.  This should be firewalled to prevent this.  The service provider has no idea how to resolve the issue and it was mutually decided that another phone would be exchanged for the one I have.  I will get another phone that was returned for some reason.  This costs $35 plus tax which actually for all the time I spent trying to resolve the emails and other connectivity issues seems like a bargain.  I will wait for up to 5 days for a replacement.

I have once again spoken to head office and spoke to the same lovely lady I did yesterday and she has escalated my complaint.  I am also a shareholder an am being way more patient than I would be had I just been a customer.  As a customer I would have  taken the the phone back right at the outset when the emails wouldn't sync.  I needed to know what the issues were with the phone and didn't want to hear second hand what they were. If you have yahoo, gmail, and really ordinary emails the set up works fine.  Pop which I have, not so much. I have yet to really sync up my phone and my desktop email which is Microsoft and not some unknown entity.

I thought after a couple of months these issues would  have been resolved and as a shareholder I'm stunned with the ongoing problems with syncing of emails.  This should be a no brainer.  If there is one sort of thing that can help it would be to help the volunteers here with some sort of compensation to help resolve issues as fast and as easily as possible. Let's not rely on 3rd party support let's just have the best support any co can buy.

I have been around the world it seems with support and most of the tech support is lacking the knowledge that every tech support should have to make this co hummm. BB can differentiate itself with a superior phone but more importantly a superior help line.  That's not rocket science that's just good business.

I will update when I have more information as to what action BB takes to resolve my issues.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jefferyh

Re: Swipe experience.. Now I need to either send it to be fixed or exchange my phone

So the information the tech support at BB gave me this morning was wrong and it didn't remove the Rogers set up. Another tech support guy called later and promised to get me someone who could handle the problem.  I got exceptional help from this fellow Eric and he spent 2.5 hours on the phone with me and sorted out my problems. They need a hundred more  of these sorts of guys working in Tech support.

In a nut shell

no one knows what happened when my stuff just disappeared, let's assume pilot error

when you are putting in email addresses not all the automatic in fills work which I knew but there was one little issue to work out which did make it work

I was having trouble with my main email connection to the server and it turns out that when I reset the password it never registered and it was indeed wrong.  This tool a call to my internet provider

The transfer of my contacts is on going and this took the longest.  We did a number of things and essential we are putting them back one client at a time which is 146 inputs but all contact info is intact it just has to be done one at a time instead of all 146 at once.  This definitely is an issue and somehow needs a better solution. I was able to transfer the contacts back in Feb. when I first got the phone but not this time.  The tech guy couldn't either so I'm glad that wasn't something I was doing wrong.

I'm using Live Mail as my email account on the desktop which is the main reason for most of the issues.  A free outlook is the way to bring the contacts in and although this has a few steps it will work.  The Live mail does not make cvs file properly but if you use the business card vcf it will do all of them individually and place them in a folder that you create.  It is here you would then transfer them individually to outlook.

There is apparently a two way syncing from BB which will be done over the next two software upgrades.  Those of us with live mail need to upgrade to outlook and eventually will get 2 way syncing.  It just doesn't exist at this time for Outlook.  This would have been nice to know in advance.  It would save a lot of people some grief.

It has been a long two days and with any luck this will help someone else.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jefferyh

Re: Swipe experience.. Now I need to either send it to be fixed or exchange my phone

My phone is back to where I was a week ago and I have learned a few things.  I had issues connecting to the link once again a figured out how I cleared my phone of data.  It was my fault since if I had read the message before pressing accept I would have realized I was erasing my phone.

I see a problem with the set up of the link which I realized yesterday when I was unable to connect to the desktop. The phone tried and connected then disconnected.  This occurred over and over until I got tired and just unplugged.  What happened next was an option appeared to reload my phone software and put it back to factory settings and this is what I presume I did the first time when I lost my phone. This should not appear as an option and if it does it should be coloured yellow as a warning to read further. If you are like me when you are doing some things it is a process of next, next next... and this is what I did without fully understanding what I was doing.  Not really  BB issue but certainly could be hidden so it isn't accidentally done as I did.

hope this helps you if you got to this blog

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jefferyh

This leaves the issue of why the phone doesn't connect to the link properly. I have been told it could be an anti virus issue which blocks the link and phone from connecting but it connected fine for a while and then it didn't and now it it is again. Weird but true. 

I know the phone doesn't always connect cleanly in the port which I often find on charging but in this case it did connect and then disconnected so I doubt that was the issue.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jefferyh

Typically the cause for BlackBerry Link not detecting the BlackBerry Z10 would be either Anti-Virus software preventing the connection or an issue with Windows recognizing the drivers for the device.

If the issue is Anti-Virus related, I would recommend temporarily disabling 3rd party Anti-Virus software or any firewalls and attempt to close and reopen BlackBerry Link as well as disconnect/reconnect the device to see if any difference is noticed.

Alternatively, if there is an issue with Windows recognizing the device driver software, you would have to open up Windows Device Manager and look under Network Adapters to determine if there's an issue with the BlackBerry Device driver software. A shortcut to Windows Device Manager that will work on any PC is to input "devmgmt.msc" in the Run command (without the quotation marks). Once in Windows Device Manager, scroll down to Network Adapters, look for BlackBerry Device, right click and select Properties. If an issue is displayed in the Device Status window, try disabling/re-enabling the driver as this will usually resolve the issue.

Please use plain text.