Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Synch Yahoo Email Problems - delayed! Not push any longer?

Exactly. It's apples and oranges between the Z10 and the 9900. I have heard that BB is in talks with Yahoo! hoping to resolve the delay issue and get a better integration. For now, you're stuck with the 15 minute delay on Yahoo! accounts on BB10 devices.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
CWM
Visitor
CWM
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I received my new BlackBerry Z10 last week and was having the same issue with huge delays and incorrect time put on emails. I have Verizon as my phone service provider and now I have a fix. The email now WORKS as well as my old BlackBerry 9630. If you are using WiFi when sending emails, it will not correctly, TURN OFF WIFI when sending emails and they will be delivered immediately, hope this helps everyone. New Z10 is GOOD now.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bmanley
My Device: Bold 9900 Playbook Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

From the dates on these posts it looks like BB has been working on the problem for a couple of months now. Are we going to get a fix or is yahoo mail just not going to improve on the Z10?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

This problem is, to the best of my ability to determine, NOT Blackberry's.

I run against my own IMAP server here and notification of new mail is literally instantaneous -- it's considerably faster than my desktop email client against the same emailbox, which usually picks it up within a few seconds.

Blackberry correctly supports IMAP "IDLE", which is the means by which an IMAP server notifies a client that it has new messages for it.  When it receives that notification it is then responsible for asking for the content.

If the server drops the connection then the client will normally reconnect.  The Z-10 is known to properly notice that it got dumped (e.g. going from Wifi to cell data or the converse) and reconnects immediately.  It also (independent of IDLE) polls occasionally (looks like every 15 minutes or so) for grins and giggles, wihch it should not need to do at all but doing so prevents what looks like a "hang" if the server misbehaves.

Where you can have trouble is if the server "forgets" to send IDLE notififcations.  If that happens then the client has no way to know about it since the connection is still open, TCP keep-alives are not detecting a broken link, and the IDLE protocol is a "server responsibility" protocol (intentional to keep traffic levels down.)

There may be other options (e.g. Exchange) which use a different mechanism.  What I do know from extensive experience with IMAP is that there are a number of server implementations that INTENTIONALLY will tell you they support IDLE and allow you to request it, but then never send notifications!  This leaves you dead in the water unless you poll for new messages (which you always CAN do, but the point of IDLE is not to need to!)  There are resource reasons to NOT reliably handle IDLE (it requires an open socket descriptor for each connected client at all times!) but if you're going to drop a connection with IDLE declared the server has a duty to notify the client and not just silently disappear.

Whatever is going on here I'm reasonably confident it's not the Z-10's fault, as I've traced both sides (IMAP and SMTP) of the protocol in extensive detail -- I have another thread here in which I discuss what I've found in regard to SMTP issues as well.

I'm quite-confident saying that the Z-10 doesn't have trouble with IMAP's push email delivery, however.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
chiefvh
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: bell

Why is yahoo instant on iphone then?
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I do not know what the iPhone is using for a protocol against Yahoo and haven't traced it.  I don't own one.  I have traced the Z-10's protocol.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bmanley
My Device: Bold 9900 Playbook Z10

I understand when things are new like the Z10 there are going to be problems but I wish they understood it would be nice to get some kind of answer from blackberry. We would like to know they are working on it, maybe when we might have a fix, anything. BB is so known for doing email right but right now that is not the case. When the iphone is getting emails faster then a BB that is not a good thing for sure.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
giovan67
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

This is a yahoo issue that BlackBerry is trying to fix, the same delay occurs on Android only Apple is instant. Though all other email services are instant on the Z10 and not on iPhone. You can thank the many carriers that wanted BlackBerry Internet service gone due to the fees that they were paying BlackBerry that's another reason
Please use plain text.
fhk100

The problem is still persisting. I have constant delays on Yahoo email after upgrading from BB 9700 to Z10. All other providers (Gmail, MS EXchange, Hotmail) are instant.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
skybuckets
My Carrier: Telus

Frustrating as heck!

Had to get my yahoo mail forwarded to a hotmail account to get it instantly, it worked, but it has it's drawbacks too.

Very Frustrating to say the least

Sky

Please use plain text.