Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
markround
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Syncing large media collections to Z10 SD Card

I've posted this question in various other forums, but have yet to get a definitive answer. I'm hoping someone here can help!

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on purchasing a Z10. One major thing is holding me back - syncing large media libraries using BB Link. I have a Mac, and synching to any of my previous Android phones has been a PITA, so this is a real deal-breaker for me.

I have been very pleasantly surprised by the ease at which my PlayBook 64Gb has synced all my iTunes and iPhoto libraries over, and I'm hoping this will still hold true for the Z10.

The issue is that I have too much content for the 16Gb built-in memory (22Gb+ iTunes library and around 10Gb of iPhoto stuff). I'd really like to sync my iTunes and iPhoto galleries to the SD card (preferably a 64Gb model), leaving the internal memory free for camera pictures, apps and the like.

Anyone else in the same boat ? How do you sync over your content to your Z10 and how does it handle stuff being on the SD card ? I really don't want the hassle I've had with Android (forced to use various broken 3rd party sync tools, manually copying things over, moving things in batches to the SD card and so on). I just want to plug the phone in, hit the "sync" button and walk away and end up with my libraries on the SD card.

Anyone doing this, or can offer any advice ? I've seen so many mixed reports on this, and a worrying number of people asking the same question, or reporting that their media libraries end up on the phone, NOT the SD Card - yet the docs seem to imply it should be possible. I'd REALLY appreciate any comments, especially if anyone has got this working!

Thanks,

-Mark

PS: I know about mounting the card as a drive and manually copying the data over; this is one of the things that I really like about BB10, but it's still not the "sync" approach I'm looking for and is still a pain with iPhoto.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,756
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Syncing large media collections to Z10 SD Card

The Z10 will take a 64gb media card. Format the 64g card IN your Z10 first thing to make it work.

I would personally copy all of the media first to my 64gb card via the mac as a connected drive.

From then on, you can sync your data easily between the z10 and Mac.

Of course you can also do the initial media copy via a sync, it will just take a while, be warned.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
markround

Great, but will the initial (and successive) syncs use the SD Card by default, or can they be configured to do so ?

It's no good me trying to push 32Gb of music and photos if it tries to store them on the phone's internal memory. That's what I can't find a definitive answer to.

Thanks!

-Mark

Please use plain text.
JSanders

The initial sync will use the SD card by default.

I've directed none of my media where to sync, and it is all syncing only to my media card (except that which was already stored within my device memory).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
markround

Fantastic! That may well be the problem other people are seeing. So I'll get a SD Card, format it and only then connect to BB Link and sync.

Brilliant! Thank you so much for the help. That's one Z10 being purchased later today then :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
JSanders

I am using a 32GB card.

I have several friends using a 64GB card, each expert BB users and they do say to FIRST format the 64GB from within the Z10 itself... they've had no problems with them.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
spykecichlid
My Carrier: Globe

Sorry why do we need to reformat the 64 gb sd card? Because it's in 64 SDXC as to a 32 SDXC? Thanks
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-
My Carrier: Rogers

spykecichlid wrote:
Sorry why do we need to reformat the 64 gb sd card? Because it's in 64 SDXC as to a 32 SDXC? Thanks

You need to format the card if is formated as exFat.   BB10 currently only supports fat32 partitions on the sd card.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
spykecichlid
My Carrier: Globe

Thank you for the information
Please use plain text.