Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
zaba76
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1
My Carrier: O2 UK
Accepted Solution

THINGS I REALLY DON'T GET ABOUT MY NEW Z10

[ Edited ]

having had a day with my new blackberry smartphone there are a few things I find very strange...

But maybe I'm missing something.

Firstly, most screens /menus of this phone (with dark backgrounds) look best with screen brightness near max. If not then movies etc seem quite dark. However, when you are faced with a white background you are then blinded as the brightness needs reducing by around 1/3. The playbook also suffers from this blinding effect when apps have the blank white loading screen... I normally put my hand over that.

When taking photos in the 'face' mode... Or whatever it's called... There is no zoom. WHY oh why?? This is a great feature of the z10 phone, sadly let down by the lack of zoom. The zoom on the standard mode and the auto focus in both modes is great.

So, you've taken a snap in portrait mode with your phone upright and you want to crop it keeping proportions... But you can't? you could if you had taken it in landscape mode but the option are for free transform or 16:9 landscape or 4:3 landscape.

7digital... Well, if you used to buy from spotify and you use the music store application on your playbook then you probably have a nice catalog of music stored with 7digital. 7digital also provide the digital content in the new blackberry world BUT there appears to be no way to tie in my 7digital account which uses the same email as my BlackBerry world ID. So I'll haveto manually transfer my music between devices I think.

I've never had a bb phone before and I really like this one. I bought it based largely on my experience with the playbook which I love and the fact that the z10 would have an updated os, phone and great features. However there are some things that I'd do on the PlayBook and I doubt I'll upgrade that to os10 before certain things are fixed like the blackberry world music.

Final part of rant... BlackBerry don't appear tohave anywhere to report these things which seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Despite the above, I haven't put my phone down in the last 24 hours -though i'mdoing this from my PlayBook as the forum is very hard to read on the z10!

...also you appear to be able to use the z10 as a wifi hot spot which is cool and it can work as a dlna server... But doesn't appear to be able to access other dlna servers like my nas.

And for some reason it's easier to tether my PlayBook to my nokia than to my z10? I haven't managed it yet. Though theycan both see each othor, when I go to tether the playbook it says the z10is not found.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: THINGS I REALLY DON'T GET ABOUT MY NEW Z10

zaba76 wrote:

I've never had a bb phone before and I really like this one. I bought it based largely on my experience with the playbook which I love and the fact that the z10 would have an updated os, phone and great features. However there are some things that I'd do on the PlayBook and I doubt I'll upgrade that to os10 before certain things are fixed like the blackberry world music.

hello,

I agree with most of your message, but I do not understand this part. What can you do with a PlayBook that you cannot with a Z10 (apart from the physical size of the screen)?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Developer
gmsm
My Device: Pearl 9105 - Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: Tigo

Zaba you should use the BlackBerry Bridge application for using your z10 Internet connection.

You can also follow @blackberryhelp and write them.
Pearl 9105 6.0 Bundle 2950
Playbook 2.1.0.1032
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76

Xandrex, I meant mainly that not all my PB OS2.1 apps are currently on BB10 and I'm not prepared to lose what is curently great access to my music collection.

The z10 music & film store really should have been more based on the likes of cinetrailer app but with an integrated shopping cart and accounts should have definitely linked to existing 7digital accounts - especially when they use the same email for ID.

I prefer the quick access to many more apps / games etc in the playbook app world.

The z10 is rubbish connected to a tv compared to the playbook. Though due to the quirk iwith the z10 I did manage to play galazer on my tv. Try using something like bvnc on the playbook linked to hdmi tv then try using it on the z10.

Bluetooth is doing very weird things. though I did manage to send from my nokia to my z10. Bridge to playbook not working. tethering to playbook not working.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76

I got the bridge working gmsm. Only thing is that I lost all my emails on my PlayBook prior to 30 days.

Also my sent mails from my PlayBook within the last 30 days now only show on the z10 and not on the playbook since the sync. VERY frustrating.

BLACKBERRY needs to sort that out for sure. The 30 day limit needs to go and the accounts should at least sync correctly.

Also I cannot access email accounts that are not also on the z10 while using the playbook over a bridged connection. So I have to tether to my nokia for that. Lol.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ryanstevenson87
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: o2

I agree with most of the post here but I do disagree with the bit about this website being too difficult to read. I have the font setting down to small and when I double tap the paragraphs to adjust to the screen width then I can still read every word. The pixel density is higher on this Z10 than that of the company who pride themselves on having the best mobile screens (Apple).

I too have a PlayBook and believe their to be a far few inconsistencies regarding the devices, after all they are both QNX and gesture based but one has some feature and one has others but they don't seem to share them all.

The reason why I'm even here is because I'm looking for the place to report bugs and feature requests. This seems to be the most helpful post on the net that I have found. Does anyone know where the official place is that developers and BlackBerry alike purposely look for to ascertain bugs to patch the OS. An example be in: I have a PlayBook and it's very easy to get rid of the keyboard to see the full screen by pressing the keyboard button, the same as located 'inside' this Z10's space bar. The problem with the Z10 is there are many buttons trapped below the keyboard that you frequently need that are not about on the PlayBook therefore its even more of a nuisance to have to HOLD DOWN the space bar every time you want to 'go back' or 'view picture' or 'attach' a file.

I hope everyone understands what I mean and that I'm not moaning but merely looking to share and assist with making the OS as clean and as crisp as possible by trying to report bugs and feature requests to be patched in.

However, I too have not put my phone down and am genuinely loving this phone.
Torch 9800
Bold 9900
PlayBook 32GB
Z10
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

ryanstevenson87 wrote:
The problem with the Z10 is there are many buttons trapped below the keyboard that you frequently need that are not about on the PlayBook therefore its even more of a nuisance to have to HOLD DOWN the space bar every time you want to 'go back' or 'view picture' or 'attach' a file.

If you want to quickly bring up or hide the keyboard you can use a 2 finger swipe.  To show the keyboard from the bezel swipe up with both fingers.  To hide the keyboard from the top of the keyboard swipe down with both fingers.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76

Good news about the z10 keyboard from -bd-

I agree the pixel density is great and think the z10 has a much sharper screen albeit at the cost of some dynamic range? My PlayBook screen appears to be more vibrant. How about yours?

I'm not on twitter but apparently twitter is the main way to report issues / get help.

I remember when everyone complained about the change from telephone support to email support... I feel like an old man now thinking what's wrong with good old fashioned email rather than twitter. Lol

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

zaba76 wrote:

I'm not on twitter but apparently twitter is the main way to report issues / get help.

BlackBerryHelp on twitter is one avenue. The best way to get support is by calling your carrier.  If they are unable to solve your issue they should transfer you to BlackBerry's support line.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76

I'll keep trying here and maybe call my carrier but i would be wasting their time and mine for things that I know can't be fixed without an update And are therefore more feature requests for future updates.

I would suggest a blackberry 10 feature requests forum maybe an idea to collate customer ideas for future updates.

I'm sticking with my phone I just want it to work like the best of Samsung, the best of nokia, the best of apple and the best of BlackBerry in one phone :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.