Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Enterprise SME
-BD-
My Device: Z10

Re: THINGS I REALLY DON'T GET ABOUT MY NEW Z10

ryanstevenson87 wrote:
I just don't get why there isn't somewhere so simple that you can just jot your ideas and solutions down and for BlackBerry to sift through it ALL and rank them (as stated above) ready to be rolled out on, let's suggest, a weekly software patch..

Requests can always be sent to bbsuggestions@rim.com

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

ryanstevenson87 wrote:
I just don't get why there isn't somewhere so simple that you can just jot your ideas and solutions down and for BlackBerry to sift through it ALL and rank them (as stated above) ready to be rolled out on, let's suggest, a weekly software patch.

First, there cannot be weekly software patches.

Do you know why the Z10 is not available for AT&T subscribers today?

because whenever a new Software OS is released, it is fully tested by AT&T staff. And this takes several months. This is the way AT&T makes sure that their Level1 support (from my message just above) know their job, and that AT&T masters all what the new OS brings.

Besides, the trend is not to have very frequent patches at all, either for computers (Windows update used to be on-the-fly and is now on a monthly basis) or phones (usually several months between updates except Apple when the day-light saving time switch does not work :smileywink: ).

Now, about the feedback. If you look closely, in the past, RIM did not care at all about what their consumers wanted. Now, this has changed a little: when a new app is about to be released, it will undergo a beta test, that users can participate it (in the Beta Zone website). For example I am currently participating in the beta test for the upcoming Facebook 4 app for OS5/6/7. And during that test, I can report bugs, as well as ask for enhancements. After a while some of the enhancements are proposed to vote, and people vote for this or that enhancement.

This is the right thing to do, but I agree with you that:

• it happens only at the end of the cycle (only a few weeks before the release date)
  • it happens only for apps and not for core features of the OS.

I guess all that takes time. If you look at all the dialog that is happening between RIM and all third party developers, the developers were put forward and their requests sometimes have become demands, that RIM complied to, because they knew that app makers are the ones who will (or not) make the Z10 a success.

Maybe in a not-too-far future, some selected "normal people" can participate at early stages to give their opinion, but in my opinion this has already been done among RIM employees (who are also mere BlackBerry users like us).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ryanstevenson87
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

[ Edited ]

I understand where your coming from but your method is costly, cumbersome and somewhat slower than going to one dedicated website and/or app and jotting down what one finds annoying, awkward, lacking, inconvenient etc. Especially seeing as the network provider has very little development over the core OS.

*edit* that was a reply to the previous response.

Yes your beta developer community's way of progressing apps and software is the logical solution so why is there no public version of this once the product has gone live to further iron out any creases either missed or that couldn't not fit in with time constraints?

I also am aware of the sizable delays between each firmware update which is why I referred to it as a patch, it was just me being foolishly optimistic that one day it could all work as smoothly as that for the end consumer, lol.

Torch 9800
Bold 9900
PlayBook 32GB
Z10
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1

[ Edited ]

-BD- wrote:

Requests can always be sent to bbsuggestions@rim.com

I feel this may increase your inbox size somewhat but thank you.

I will use this wisely. maybe you should have PMed it instead :Oops:

@ryanstevenson87 did you miss this?

@Xandrex - we do understand. But i think we are suggesting like the animoto solution i showed earlier that feature requests are a little different from support needs that can be fixed without an update.

WE can best tell BB what we as a whole would like in our phones. Wwe can also categorise in order the most popular and most important by number of votes and weight of vote. So if a feature requested gets 15 10pt votes then it may be worth more than a suggestion with 50 2pt votes. A mod then just needs to check that feature requests aren't duplicated (in the wrong category) similarly to in the forums. And if a feature gets a 10,000 votes then maybe someone needs to do something about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I agree. Google has set that up already for all their services (mail, maps, apps and so on). I wish RIM provides something similar in a near future.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76

[ Edited ]

:Clap:

So we are all agreed then... I'll make this my first suggestion.

It's far too easy to focus on the negatives... this is a great phone with some superb features but some of the current minor oversights stop it from being absolutely awesome!

...and we'd like to help with that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
DVader
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook

What Zaba is talking about is something like Sony did with PlayStation Blog Share. Basically a system to accept people's ideas and have other people vote on it.

It's a great way to prioritize your development to get the features people want the most quickly.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76

SPOT ON! :Clap: Good find DVader.

BlackBerry please take note!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ryanstevenson87
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

I have been keeping tabs on this thread and once again it's a great example of how to do something right (in Sony's example the only right thing about the playstation was the blog share hehe).

So here we have conclusive evidence by animoto, Google and Sony just how to report, share and overcome bugs in a friendly, timely, cost-efficient and productive manner! How this isn't the standard protocol for every company that has its own engineered product is simply beyond me! Lol
Torch 9800
Bold 9900
PlayBook 32GB
Z10
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
andrew21212
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

zaba76 wrote:

No. I see what you are saying. Just seems like a lot of middlemen. Lol

Those " Middlemen" bring organization to what appears as kaos.  :smileyhappy: 

You can have 1 issue and a thousand people describe it differently. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Please use plain text.