Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
kabsl
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Etisalat

Text Message Issues

i have an issue with sending text messages from my Z10. each time i compose and send a text message, there is a huge delay with the phone processing the sending of the message. if i happen to close that message screen and move to another message, the composed message does not go until i re-visit the text message screen.

any idea why this is happening and how it can be solved.

i am presently using release version: 10.1.0.273

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
scrannel
My Device: Z10 10.1
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

Re: Text Message Issues

[ Edited ]

I don't know where you are and know nothing about your server, however, try this: Go into text messages and tap the 3 dots in the lower right to bring up "settings".  Then tap on "text messages".  Then select "advanced".  Bunch of stuff in here but look at "Routing Preference".  Normally this should be set for "circuit switched preferred" or "circuit switched". 

Circuit switched sends your sms over "voice" services, "Packet Switched" sends it over data, if I recall.  "circuit switched preferred", should cover everything as it will change to Packet if needed.  But you can always try packet anyway. If already set for packet, definitely set for "circuit preferred". 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Carrier: Rogers

scrannel wrote:

I don't know where you are and know nothing about your server, however, try this: Go into text messages and tap the 3 dots in the lower right to bring up "settings".  Then tap on "text messages".  Then select "advanced".  Bunch of stuff in here but look at "Routing Preference".  Normally this should be set for "circuit switched preferred" or "circuit switched". 

Circuit switched sends your sms over "voice" services, "Packet Switched" sends it over data, if I recall.  "circuit switched preferred", should cover everything as it will change to Packet if needed.  But you can always try packet anyway. If already set for packet, definitely set for "circuit preferred". 

Noting the above post, if the z10 is sending the emails over the "voice" services, you are probably seeing the same delay as your phone calls see. Voice is not (I don't believe) supported over LTE, so the phone drops down to 4G service for the voice calls which takes it a few moments to initiate. You can watch your phone do this when you make a call.

Possibly by going to look at another message you are telling your phone to hold off on the drop to 4G and forcing it to stay on LTE, thus delaying the text message delivery? Just throwing that out there as a possibility.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
scrannel
My Device: Z10 10.1
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

[ Edited ]

Only pointing this out as my Z10 is set for circuit preferred as default. This would allow it to use either voice or data. What I was thinking was if the phone were set for "packet", or "packet preferred" it may be holding things up. Of course, this may be carrier dependent.  And... simple to try.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kabsl

the setting currently reads as circuit switched preferred

its not that messages dont go - theres just a huge delay for the messages to go. usually about 1 minute.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fschutrumpf
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't think the issue is around the transport or whether it's voice or data spectrum, although the relative speed of one over the other may lessen the symptoms slightly. The issue is that the text app is coded badly so that the whole display hangs while the message is being sent over the carrier network and awaiting a delivery confirmation.  That's a retarded architecture that breaks all the rules of decoupling back end and UI.   This is why when you click send on a text, and then try to navigate to a different text conversation, the app actually takes you back to the one you were on, rather than the one you selected. This is also why you can't send texts in a row but have to wait until the first is delivered, even to the point where text being typed goes into the ether, rather than into the next text message compose field...

Rather than decoupling the user interface from the queue that sends messages, they are all tied together, which means that a text message sent over a congested network that takes 5 minutes to be delivered will freeze your text app, or even the entire hub on occasion, for the 5 minutes. 

Hopefully there is some senior architect at BB who is fixing this trainwreck of an amateur written app.  For a core capability, this shouldn't be that badly implemented. 

I'm on 10.1.0.2006, maybe it's been fixed already in a subsequent build, but for me, this is pretty sore piece of functionality until T-Mo releases the next build.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kabsl

i am so frustrated with my BB now - the issues dont seem to be going away. 5 months of using it and i spend at least an hour a day trying to resolve an issue.

cant wait for the new iphone so i can switch.

Please use plain text.