Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
jdhooghe
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Texting and just being in the HUB uses a lot of power. Help, please!

First let me say that if any BlackBerry rep posts that useless battery saving guide in response to my question, I will flip.

Being in the hub uses 1-1.6 watts of power which is the same amount that facebook or twitter uses, if not more. This should not happen. I've tried to contact via twitter the BlackBerryHelp people but they never got back to me. There is no 1-800 number. I'm asking everyone if this is normal? I have done every single battery tweak I can and this is still happening. I am at my wits end. I can watch the battery percentage tick away while composing an email or a text. I have two batteries. Both experience the same drain. Thank you for your time

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Texting and just being in the HUB uses a lot of power. Help, please!

I haven't experienced serious battery drain on my Z10 (yet).

I'm not super technical when it comes to the watts of power used by the Hub but if that's where EVERYTHING is being updated, wouldn't it make sense that it would use a higher than average amount of power?

Just a thought.  Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
jdhooghe

What is being updated when I log in? Even if that is the case then I should see the power usage drop after the first minute following whatever syncing is occuring. I'm very confused. Writing a text is just as costly as playing a game?

Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

[ Edited ]

I suspect what you're seeing is the screen's power consumption.

Where are you getting the measurements from?  And have you turned down the brightness some?  I run mine at half and the automatic "curving" for ambient light works perfectly -- I can easily see it in full sunlight, which is a VAST improvement over most other phones -- a few are reasonably ok in full daylight but most wash out pretty badly.  If you're outdoors the ambient light sensor is going to crank up the screen on you and that does ugly things to the battery.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
New Contributor
jdhooghe

I'm at 40% brightness

Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

I haven't instrumented power consumption using external equipment on the Z-10 yet, but I may have to.  I'm kinda curious what its actual standby power use looks like.....

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!