Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
WesW
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Transfer Z10 contacts to Q10, link does not copy everything.

I sued the Blackberry link to trasnfer the Z10 data to the Q10 but quite a few peoples numbers just show up with out their name.  Does anyone know what the problem is?  I have tried everything and I am tired.  I just want my Q10 to work like the Z10.

Any help would be appreciated.  All the data and apps transferred fine, contacts seem to be a problem.  Could it be contacts that had "links" made? 

Thanks.

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Re: Transfer Z10 contacts to Q10, link does not copy everything.

Are your contacts synced to an external email service such as Hotmail (outlook.com), or any of the other syncable email services?  I found with the Z10, Hotmail seems to work the best.

For example, if your Z10 is synced to Hotmail, set up the Q10 to Hotmail, and allow it to be synced. After about an hour or so all the contacts should be transfered over through the phone network. This may be the simplist solution.

Jerry G.
Contributor
WesW

Hi Jerry, yes Gmail. Turns out I went through my contacts after the data transfer with link and all of the contacts are there and the information. When certain people call however only their number shows up and the q10 does not recognize the number! I check the phone number in my contacts and it is in fact there but the phone doesn't or recognize it and just displays the number!   I have no idea how to fix that!

Contributor
WesW

Hi Jerry,

I can confirm every single contact is there about 6000 of them.  However when someone calls me their number is not recognized on the phone.  Text messages and BBM link to their name but when someone calls just their number shows up.  I search their number after the call and sure enough their number is under their name but the phone is not recognizing it.  I am going to reboot it a few times and see what happens.  I thought maybe it will take a little while to sync/organize all the numbers?  I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this one.

Contributor
heathiemj
My Device: Q10

I have the same problem, with Q10, with over 6000 contacts on Exchange.  If I call someone the name appears in the list, if they call me it is unidentified. Would appreciate a tip on how to fix

Contributor
WesW

Mine is fixed and now working.   I backed up the q10 and then wiped it and restored it from the backup. Then I changed the email synch time to 5 minutes for a few hours to let it Download things if necessary. Works perfect now. 

Contributor
virtue
My Device: 9930

If you have large amount of contacts in your address book, lets say about thousands it would takes hours for BB10 to create all the entries, I had 2000 something when moving from 9900 to Z10 and at first I see only a few contacts after transfer. after 1 hour or so, all complete entries are showing up, yeah I would say this BB10 is an **bleep** (pardon me) not a smartphone, and it doesn't eliminate duplicates too when I sync to my email account contacts....

And the worst part of it is there is no DELETE ALL contacts, so I have to wipe device and start sync to my email to eliminate duplicates..

Lameee that is the word for BB10 and BlacKBerry link, do they tested this device and software before releasing it to market without any proper support and updates ?

Contributor
WesW

I just did another transfer and ran into the same problem.  All of the contacts are there except I have found out that "links" made on the z10 do not transfer properly so contacts with multiple numbers and information have some excluded.  There is an incompatibility between the two devices.

Does anyone know how to correct this!?

Contributor
WesW

I did technically find that the problem lied in the "link" function.  When a contact was linked, some data resided on the local device and some date resided in gmail.  Sometimes a contact would not synch the local data.  As well the Z10 to Q10 formatting left information out where a contact had 2 or more "work" numbers.  I believe this is fixed now but I did have to download a BETA version for the Q10 so that my OS version was higher or equal to the Z10 (you can not switch devices to a lower OS version)

I downloaded the Q10 OS from :http://crackberry.com/leaked-os-10102342-blackberry-q10

Hope this helps.  Blacbkberry should be onto this issue by now hopefully.  Growing pains.  I remember the same non-sense when I bought an iphone at the beginning.  Unfortunately people have grown less tolerant hehe.

Contributor
virtue
My Device: 9930

i did use the latest Link, and upgraded Q10 to the latest OS available, but stil it says there is no device detected, please try to ensure that the device is on and connected.... this happen after the device is detected by Link and i press restore ...

i gave hope on BlackBerry, what kind of company who releases products which is unstable unreliable (BB10) bugs everywhere, even the Link software is annoying didn't it occur to them thay MAYBE we wanna switch from Z10 to Q10 and MAYBE wanna switch back to Z10 and without loosing any of important data we have, ohhh not to mention, open chats also gone on every attempt switching devices...

i'm back on OS7.1 devices now, i think if this company (RIM) keeps delivering products and no support at all like this, we are all gonna stop buying it right? they are basically sending away the old customers who needs the reliability of  BlackBerry as a smartphone to supports our jobs and bussiness, we don't care about games or even **bleep**ty apps on BB world, WE JUST WANT OUR DATA SAFE ON EACH TRANSFER OF DEVICES, AND PLEASE WHERE IS THE PROTECT FOR BB10 USERS?

sorry i have to make it in capitals, i'm desperate