Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Transferring Data/files/contacts

Hello,

So, I have a bit of a problem. I just exchanged my 9900 for a Z10 at the store where I got them. I backed up the 9900 this afternoon before I took it in, but I didn't realize that the desktop manager wasn't compatible with the new OS. Now my issue is that I cannot transfer all my contacts to the new phone-family, friends, work contacts are all currently lost in limbo.

Any suggestions on what can be done? Or will there be an update to the BB desktop manager to make it compatible with the new OS soon?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Transferring Data/files/contacts

[ Edited ]

You're going to want to follow the instructions in the following KB article:

KB33480 - BlackBerry 10 smartphone does not boot and displays a Phone with USB icon after an interru...

That should get you back up and running!

(Note: If you can't get it to work, make sure the BlackBerry Link software is fully shut down by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del on your computer, then go to the Task Manager, and under the Processes tab, shut down all BlackBerry related processes).Hi there,

So I take it that you don't have access to your old Bold 9900 anymore then? If you can, the first thing I would suggest is contacting the store again to see if they haven't wiped your Bold yet. If so, you can use a media card in the old Bold 9900 and then use the on device Device Transfer tool. (Just out of curiousity, why did you leave the Bold at the store? I hope they geve you an ok trade in value for it)

If there is no way to get to the phone anymore, then you'll need something that can extract the data from your backup. I would try something like a program called MagicBerry, which is available here:

http://menastep.com/pages/magicberry.php

Unfortunately, you may be looking at having to manually re-enter the info though. Alternately, if you have an email account like Hotmail/Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo, you should be able to wirelessly transfer/manage your contacts, etc. So far, my Outlook.com account has offered the best option with Contact, Calendar and Task sync.

A new version of BlackBerry Link is coming soon that will offer the ability to sync data from Outlook, and soon after, two way sync, but if you need an immediate solution, the above is the best I can suggest at the moment.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Thank you so much for the help- and so quickly too! I was able to recover everything I was missing with the MagicBerry program.

And just to satisfy your curiosity, at Future Shop, they have an exchange program that you opt in for at the time of re/activation and you pay a small monthly fee for that allows you to exchange your phone for a new one at no cost (if the phones are the same retail value), or at the cost of the difference (if the new phone costs more) if your phone is or becomes defective. It's basically an exchange of phones, so you leave the old one with them, and take home the new one, which is why I no longer have the Bold (a wipe is performed at the time of exchange, so no chance of getting anything from it at this point).

Thanks again for your help!

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Oh, you used the Future Shop exchange program... Nicely done!

Anyhow, I'm glad MagicBerry helped! Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Os7.1
My Carrier: Dtac Thailand

If you can't get it to work, make sure the BlackBerry Link software is f