Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Two weeks in on Z10 and very disappointed (although mainly due to OS omissions)...

[ Edited ]

Very sad to say that after many years with Blackberry devices I'm bordering on switching. I can't believe some of the omissions in OS10...

- no categorisation of contacts ... I have several thousand contacts all categorised by various attributes so only being able to search on someone's name is useles when I don't know that but need to find someone with a particular skillset.

- no option to delete emails on device only

- I don't seem to be able to select either individual or multiple emails to delete without openeing each one (even an iPhone can do this)

- I have multiple email accounts but the device constantly drops the password and then repeatedly tells me there's a problem with my account settings

- battery life is rubbish and poorly implemented...when you lightly hold down the top button the screen turns off but hold it down a little longer so you can select to lock the device and it doens;t immediately turn off but waits for your screen-off default period (d'oh)

Am I missing something - are there unpublished shortcuts to do any of the above ?

Fundamentally the Blackberry was always an excellent business / email device but seem to have dropped this in their head-long chase after the iPhone user. Consequently we have items like Twitter/YouTube/FourSquare that I have no interest in and basic business functionality has gone. I still have my old Blackberry which I may have to revert to, sell the Z10 and buy something else. Is this the final nail in the Balckberry coffin ? I sincerely hope not but the last two weeks have been very painful.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Two weeks in on Z10 and very disappointed (although mainly due to OS omissions)...

sdhopper wrote:

Very sad to say that after many years with Blackberry devices I'm bordering on switching. I can't believe some of the omissions in OS10...

- no categorisation of contacts ... I have several thousand contacts all categorised by various attributes so only being able to search on someone's name is useles when I don't know that but need to find someone with a particular skillset.

- no option to delete emails on device only

- I don't seem to be able to select either individual or multiple emails to delete without openeing each one (even an iPhone can do this)

- I have multiple email accounts but the device constantly drops the password and then repeatedly tells me there's a problem with my account settings

- battery life is rubbish and poorly implemented...when you lightly hold down the top button the screen turns off but hold it down a little longer so you can select to lock the device and it doens;t immediately turn off but waits for your screen-off default period (d'oh)

Am I missing something - are there unpublished shortcuts to do any of the above ?

Fundamentally the Blackberry was always an excellent business / email device but seem to have dropped this in their head-long chase after the iPhone user. Consequently we have items like Twitter/YouTube/FourSquare that I have no interest in and basic business functionality has gone. I still have my old Blackberry which I may have to revert to, sell the Z10 and buy something else. Is this the final nail in the Balckberry coffin ? I sincerely hope not but the last two weeks have been very painful.

For the multiple delete of e-mail messages, just tap and hold the first message that you want to delete, after a few seconds a menu will pop from the right and you have SELECT MORE (a filled square with a checkmark on top of a hollow square), after you are done selecting which one you want to delete just tap the trash bin and there you go

The battery life gets better after a few weeks of use, that is because the phone is syncing your contact and other information in the background and then it is alos learning you way of writing so that it can predict the next word when you are writing.

As for the deletion of e-mail messages on the phone or server, the thing is that there is no messages on the phone per say, the phone is just showing you what is on the server, it does cahce a few messages but that is it, so that way a message that you mark as read, or for follow-up on the phone will also be marked as such on the server, and probably on you computer

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Two weeks in on Z10 and very disappointed (although mainly due to OS omissions)...

Many thanks Martin - very helpful.

Are you aware of anything on contact categorisation ?
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

sdhopper wrote:
Many thanks Martin - very helpful.

Are you aware of anything on contact categorisation ?

Sorry I never used any thing like that before on my previous BlackBerry phones, so it never occured to me that it might have been omitted on the Z10

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin